SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Are You Making Soup Today?

It was 32 out this morning so I am going to be making potato soup. Anyone else making soup of some kind today?

Sue

Comments (67)

• User
    4 years ago

I did yesterday -- chicken vegetable soup with the leftover Sunday roast chicken.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

Finally fall temps have arrived. Love cold weather cooking! We don't eat a lot of soup. Sometimes chili, or I will make Brunswick stew for SO, not me. Or potato soup for me not him. Today,I have a pot roast in my pink dutch oven cooking away in the oven. I normally do a pot roast in my crock pot, but to my horror I discovered a mouse dropping on the lid. So now I can never use it again. Ewewew! Anyway, I have never cooked a pot roast like this before,so I hope it is tender and delicious. We shall see.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amylou321
  • Related Discussions

Made another soup today!

Q

Comments (10)
    Gayle, here it is! I found it on Recipezaar La Madeleine's Tomato-Basil Soup 4 cups fresh tomatoes, cored, peeled, and chopped (8-10) or canned whole tomatoes, crushed 4 cups tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock) 12-14 basil leaves, washed fresh 1 cup heavy cream 1/4 lb sweet unsalted butter salt 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper lemon juice (optional) Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan. Simmer 30 minutes. Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan). Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring, over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread. Excerpted from an article by Beverly Bundy of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram around May 20. 1994. She wrote, "Once a year, in January I run a column of our most requested recipes -- This year, that column included the recipe for La Madeleine's popular tomato basil soup. I continue to get at least 10 calls a week asking for the recipe. So here it is, once again -- ". Michelle
    ...See More

Are You Making Soup?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have some potato soup in the freezer that I am going to defrost for today. Next week I will make some split pea for DD to take home with her. They have been living in two rooms upstairs for the last 3 months with a remodel that has another month or two. New kitchen, new floors throughout the downstairs. She has an electric tea kettle, coffee machine and microwave to feed her two little guys and one big guy. I will also send her home with prebaked bacon, pancakes, cookies, and a few other things to warm in the microwave.
    ...See More

How do you make Split Pea Soup?

Q

Comments (21)
    It is hard to go wrong with split pea soup. I prefer using a ham bone, but if I don't have any, I do use a couple of ham hock chunks. The ham bone usually has some nice bits still clinging to the bone, and I shred them and add to the soup when it is done and has been pureed. I add carrots, onion, celery and usually any odds and ends in the refrigerator such as left over green beans, broccoli, squash, a potato or two. I use water to make the soup and add salt, pepper, a bay leaf and maybe a dash of nutmeg and a dash of Worchestershire sauce. After 2 or 3 hours or so, I remove the bone, bay leaf and any meat and whirl it in the blender or use the blender wand. Then I shred any meat morsels and return them to the pot. It is always tasty, no matter what odds and ends I throw in.
    ...See More

Made Bean Soup Today

Q

Comments (4)
    Just finished my last bag of Italian bean soup. Had frozen 6 serving size bags and the beans froze nicely and great eating :-)
    ...See More
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"It's going to be 80° in Los Angeles today..."

Right but thankfully much cooler in the morning and at night.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

@Janie: Would you mind sharing the recipe from Nancy of long ago for the Spicy Cheeseburger Soup, please.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

Martha, that’s exactly what I’m making tomorrow too. I’m not a soup fan but my DH could eat it every day if I’d make it for him. He likes to have his poured over a serving of fresh cooked rice.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lukki Irish
  • greenshoekitty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well I was not, how ever when restacking the freezer, I found some small bags of ham and bones. Been in there way to long, but still good. Now its going to be pinto beans and ham.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked greenshoekitty
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just sent all but two servings of my potato soup home with daughter Amber and granddaughter Alyssa. Now I can cook something else!

Sue

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Great minds do think alike it seems! The sudden drop in temperature put me in the mood. I had bean with bacon and collard greens today, and yesterday evening potato with mushrooms, turkey kielbasa, arugula, and a little Zanzibar hot curry spice blend to "kick it up a notch". I love that spice blend, but just a pinch or three is enough.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Not today...too many leftovers in the fridge that we need to eat first, but am planing on trying on new recipe Tuesday for Texas black bean soup. Have all the ingredients and am ready to go.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked georgysmom2
  • donna_loomis
    4 years ago

Yep! About 6 hours ago I pulled all the chicken carcasses out of the freezer and got a pot going to make the broth for soup.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked donna_loomis
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    4 years ago

Making chili for supper tonight

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • terilyn
    4 years ago

Have a pot of chicken tortilla in the fridge and a huge pot of turkey chili on the stove!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked terilyn
  • phyllis__mn
    4 years ago

Chicken dumpling (homemade) tonight. I could eat soup every day.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked phyllis__mn
  • ritaweeda
    4 years ago

Marilyn Sue, thanks for posting this, I went in and made potato soup but I changed it up a little and instead of bacon I put some smoked sausage in it and added some cabbage.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ritaweeda
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Well I decided to go with a pot of Anasazi beans with sausage made in the instant pot. Make some rice to go with it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Marilyn_Sue...Also making potato soup...tomorrow for lunch.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • Michael
    4 years ago

Sausage and chicken jambalaya.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michael
  • donna_loomis
    4 years ago

The chicken soup was wonderful! Tomorrow I'll try a new recipe DH requested. Bacon, shrimp and corn chowder.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked donna_loomis
  • Janie
    4 years ago

Walnut Creek - here you go.

wizardnm

Here's my favorite, we made this soup on a regular basis when we had our deli...

SPICY CHEESEBURGER SOUP

2 C cubed potatoes (peeling optional)
    1 1/2 C water
    2 carrots, grated
    1/2 C chopped onion
    1/2 C chopped green pepper
    1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp beef bouillon granules

Combine the above in a large pan and cook until potatoes are tender.

1 lb lean ground beef

Brown and drain ground beef and stir into cooked potatoes

2 1/2 C milk
    3 Tbsp flour

Combine flour and milk and stir into soup. Bring to a boil then reduce heat.

1/2 lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Stir into soup, just until cheese is melted.

bacon crumbles (optional)

Top each serving with bacon if desired.
    Makes 4-6 servings

Nancy

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Janie
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I made chicken noodle (homemade noodles ) and potato soup yesterday. I put it in the crock pots today and a gang of us went to the pumpkin patch and afterwards came back and we had soup and toasted subs. It hit the spot on a chilly day .

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had planned to have more potato soup for my supper last evening but my youngest daughter surprised me with a to go box of ribs and a baked potato. Oh, so good! She fixed her ribs in the Instant Pot.

Sue

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Thank you so very much, Janie.

• dee_can1
    4 years ago

I made butternut squash soup yesterday, but squash isn't quite sweet enough yet. I guess it gets sweeter when the weather turns a bit colder. But it was good just the same. Once it gets sweet, I basically live on squash soup. Love it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dee_can1
  • annie1992
    4 years ago

It's gotten pretty cool here too, no frost yet, but it's supposed to be down to 33F tonight, definitely soup weather.

I don't really have soup going, it's chicken stock, in the big Nesco Roaster. I'll can it and It'll be soup later.

Annie

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked annie1992
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

Many of the winter squashes like butternut need to have time for some of the starches to start turning to sugar. They are much better a month or so after they are picked and stored. Potatoes do the same thing but take longer. Which is the reason that home grown potatoes in the spring are less starchy.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked maifleur01
  • matthias_lang
    4 years ago

Picked tomatoes and red sweet peppers and went straight into the house to make soup with them. Used all the tomatoes, chopped into big chunks, but only a couple peppers. Used turkey broth, turmeric, lots of fennel, Italian sausage (with more fennel in it), black pepper, onions. Parmesan on top and delicious.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked matthias_lang
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

I'm book marking this thread for good ideas. It's not quite soup weather here yet, but soon. Last week I made TGI Friday's black bean soup in the crockpot. It was good.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked aok27502
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

I was going to make clam chowder on Saturday but the 2 cans of clams I thought I had in the pantry turned out to be crab meat. So instead I made Broccoli Beef and crab rangoon for dinner and added clams to my shopping list. I have a few lbs. of Red Norland potatoes from the garden that are starting to sprout so I need to make the chowder soon and use them up.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    4 years ago

Chicken stock here today. Ran out making ham and bean soup yesterday.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
  • petalique
    4 years ago

Over the weekend I made Southwestern Corn Chowder (low-ish fat).

Next, I’m hankering for Leek and Potato soup, or maybe low fat but flavorful pot roast soup.

All these soups and recipes sound so good.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked petalique
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Yesterday I bought ingredients for the Sausage and White Bean soup I mentioned in the "cousins coming to lunch" thread. Of course I couldn't remember for sure all the ingredients when I decided right there in the grocery store I was going to make the soup, but hopefully I guessed most of them.

I'll probably gain 5lbs. this week. :)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

I need to make a batch of French Onion soup with some white onions that are probably about ready to go south, Either that or chop and freeze them.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • spartanapples
    4 years ago

Cock-a-leekie soup for me! Had it over the weekend. I make it every Fall as it uses leeks which I have in the garden. FAR better than chicken soup. My wife calls it "chicken soup on steroids" as similar to chicken soup but has barley and leeks in it too. Next weekend it will be time for cream of Butternut squash soup.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked spartanapples
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tomorrow I plan to make beef vegetable soup. I will put every vegetable I can find around here in it.

Sue

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Today, I made a Cabbage and Sausage soup. Very tasty with a nice piece of sourdough bread.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I picked up a ham shank today. I was never a big fan of split pea soup but wanted a good one since it's DH's favorite. One day I tried the Silver Palate's version of Split Pea Soup With Ham....so good! The smoked ham shanks come in handy since I make this often for him. This is an old photo I took some years back. Ignore the Photobucket tag...I was using it for posting pix on another site.

Split Pea Soup With Ham (Serves 6)

Note: I make this with 8 cups stock and 2 cups water. The smoked shanks I use are usually about 1.75 lbs. I don't add the spinach and tarragon. The spinach is kind of so-so to me in this, and I'm not a big tarragon fan. I also use less butter...maybe 3 T. No salt needed, especially with the ham.

1 pound dried green split peas
    6 cups chicken stock (preferably low sodium)
    4 cups water
    1 meaty ham bone or smoked ham shank
    2 ribs celery, leaves included, diced
    3 T. chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1/2 tsp. crumbled dried tarragon leaves
    4 T. butter
    1 cup diced peeled carrots
    1 cup diced onion
    1 leek (white part only), rinsed and sliced
    1 cup slivered fresh spinach leaves
    2 T. dry sherry
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Rinse peas in a strainer and then combine them with the stock and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.

Add the ham bone, celery, 1 T. of parsley and tarragon. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add carrots, onion and leek. Cook until veggies are wilted, about 10 minutes. Add them to the soup pot, along with the spinach. Simmer, partially covered, about 45 minutes.

Remove soup from heat. Remove ham bone and shred meat from bone, removing any excess fat. Return meat to the soup.

Add sherry, pepper, and remaining 2 T. parsley. Taste for seasoning. Heat through and serve immediately. For reheating: The soup will thicken quite a bit when chilled but will thin out when reheated.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

chloebud: Your soup recipe is fabulous! I made a pot of it tonight and everyone raved!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elizabeth
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Great to hear, Elizabeth. :-) We have a Halloween Soup Party every year. I usually serve 3 different soups. That one is a top favorite with our guests.

• lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

chloebud: Your soup sounds delicious. Do you have a preference as to which tortellini you use and do you like the mix of meat better than the straight ground beef?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • annie1992
    4 years ago

chloebud, great minds must think alike, I just made split pea soup last weekend, with a smoked pork hock. I did mine in the crockpot while I did other things, it was nice after working outside for several hours.

Now I need to make something with leeks, I still have a ton of those. Cockaleekie sounds good, and I love potato and leek. Decisions, decisions.

Annie

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked annie1992
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

lizbeth, either one of the tortellini I mentioned is good, but the refrigerated is what I've used more often. The mixture of ground beef and sausage is nice. I've also used all sausage which my husband likes, but half/half mixture gets my vote. Any meatball recipe you like can be used. My mom would even buy premade meatballs to use for this. They were larger, so she'd cut them into smaller pieces after browning. Easy to switch things up to suit you. :-)

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Made butternut squash soup last week and it was really good. I don't care for sweet, so it was more on the savory side.

I'm making roasted cauliflower soup today, to serve tomorrow for lunch with a friend.

Also on my line-up: seafood bisque, bacon leek, and gumbo.

Can anyone explain what sherry adds in terms of flavor to cream-based soups? I used it years ago, but have been skipping it the past 10 years or so.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Feathers11
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Feathers, for me sherry can just enrich the flavor and add a hint of nuttiness. It's a personal preference. I especially like it in cream of mushroom soup. OTOH, I've made the split pea soup I posted many times without sherry and didn't miss it much.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Adds a bit of sweetness, too. A lot of cream soups and sauces benefit from it but It's not something I'd think to add to split pea. For one, the flavor of the pea soup (and more especially with if made with a ham bone or hock) is strong enough that the delicate sherry flavor would be overwhelmed and be pretty much unnoticed.

And despite online suggestion you may see otherwise, do NOT use cooking sherry!! It has been treated with salt and preservatives to prolong open shelf life. Keep in mind Ina Garten's admonition that the only wine you should use in cooking should be a wine good enough to serve at table :-) Cooking sherry is inedible on its own!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"For one, the flavor of the pea soup (and more especially with if made with a ham bone or hock) is strong enough that the delicate sherry flavor would be overwhelmed and be pretty much unnoticed."

The very reason I'll omit it. However, I have friends and family who like the sherry added in.

Totally agree with NOT using cooking sherry...or ANY cooking wine. I shudder when I see people buying it. Should be a law against that stuff.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Thank you, Chloebud and Gardengal.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Feathers11
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Yesterday someone reminded me of Ina G's Winter Minestrone. Another nice one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/winter-minestrone-and-garlic-bruschetta-recipe-1994490

• lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

Thanks, Chloebud!

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

Daughter wants white bean chicken chili on Halloween. Will probably make some cornbread to go with it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn