SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pootyihl

Costco Rotisserie Chickens

DawnInCal
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

One of Costco's most popular items is their $4.99 rotisserie chickens. They are so popular that Costco is having difficulty keeping up with the demand and is building their own $450 million poultry complex in Nebraska. I'm trying to wrap my ahead around the 91 million chickens they sold last year - that is a lot of chicken!

They say it will give them complete control over the production of their chickens from hatching to the final product, that it will be good for the farmers they are contracting with to raise the chickens, that it will create 950 jobs and that it will allow them to hold the price on their rotisserie chickens at $4.99.

Critics say that the contracted farmers will be nothing more than indentured servants and that the plant raises environmental concerns.

My hope is that, based on their past history of corporate responsibility and of being a good citizen, they will raise the bar by treating their chickens humanely, protect the environment from damage due to their plant and that they will do right by the farmers who sign on.

Link to story: Costco Chickens

Thoughts?

Comments (79)