Fun with ... CHICKEN

bragu_DSM 5

Pollo se gusta?

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Si. Me gusto mucho. Mole?

I was going to make a classic black mole a couple of months ago, but couldn't find the chilis at an acceptable price. If I could only drive a few miles and go shopping!

Save    
amylou321

On a stick!

Chicken, slices of baby potato, onion, bell pepper, pickle. All double breaded, skewered and deep fried! I season my flour and eggs heavily with Cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning and seasoning salt. Flour, egg, flour, onto the stick, into the oil. So good for a once in awhile treat!

Sometimes, i do serve it with waffles. Just in case it didn't clog the arteries on its own......

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Grilled up some TJ chicken sausages tonight ... a little bit of sweet relish on a bun ... would make the cows from the chic-filly commercials ... egg-static

Save    
Solsthumper

¡Sí, por supuesto me gusta el pollo, con limón, bastante ajos y albahacas. También me encanta el pollo borracho!

Sol

3 Likes Save    
plllog

Can you get fresh albahaca? Or do you sub basil?

Save    
annie1992

Oh no, not yet. We just processed 24 chickens last week and now they are in the freezer, I'm not quite recovered enough from the smell of wet feathers to want to eat any of it!

Annie

5 Likes Save    
lindac92

I Grilled a chicken hind quarter last night, brushed with sweet baby Ray's BBQ sauce.....and ate it all with a salad and a slice of bread.....warm not cooled!

Save    
seagrass_gw

Curried chicken salad with apples and red grapes on a croissant with leaf lettuce.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Chicken coated with panko, parm & herbs, fried in a cast-iron skillet. About twice a year is all my arteries can take.

Save    
chloebud

Boneless chicken breasts (or chunks of them for kebabs) marinated with this mixture then grilled. (Also great with lamb or pork.)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. soy sauce
2 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. herbs de Provence (or dried rosemary or thyme)
1/4 cup olive oil

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I've noticed with the restaurants hobbled, there has been a GOOD supply of reasonably-priced chicken wings of late. But I just buy the chicken legs and pretend they are big wings, and prep them the same ... enough for 2-3 sittings instead of 1, or mebbe 2.

1 Like Save    
Feathers11

Bragu, I do the same. My local meat market sells regular legs and wings frozen, so I get a selection and prep the same way. Same sauces, etc. I've never understood the appeal of restaurant wings or the wings in a bag.

Save    
Solsthumper

'Can you get fresh albahaca? Or do you sub basil?'

They're one and the same. Get creative with your choice of fresh herbs, but definitely include basil.

The amount of garlic may shock some folks, but roasting the garlic mellows out its pungency considerably. I posted this here, and on the blog, over 10 years ago.

Lemon Garlic Chicken

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, sweet basil and/or oregano
S & P to taste
1 3½ pound fryer chicken, cut up
25 garlic cloves
¾ cup chicken broth

In a small bowl, stir to combine, the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, ¼ cup of the herbs, and salt and pepper.
Preheat
oven to 425ºF. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, and pour
the lemon-herb mixture over. Arrange the garlic cloves all around the
chicken, stirring them to coat with the mixture. Roast for about 45
minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown.

Remove chicken from the oven. Add the broth to the pan and place on top of
the stove over medium-high heat. Stir to scrape up the browned bits from
the bottom of the pan, while smooshing the soft, roasted garlic with a
fork to thicken the sauce. I like to transfer the chicken to a platter,
pour the sauce over the chicken and then, garnish with the remaining 2
tablespoons of herbs and lemon wedges.

Sol

1 Like Save    
KatieC

Yum, Sol. I saved that. I'm planting a big row of basil this weekend.

Lately we've been half living on Costco rotisserie chickens....chicken dinner, then chicken some other way (sliced over a chopped salad kit, chx and noodles/spaetzle, pot pie, tacos, whatever) and the scraps go to chicken salad for work lunches. Carcass makes some good broth.

Other than that chicken strips is a go-to. Sliced chicken breast, seasoned (S&P, granulated garlic, onion, sage, thyme, maybe a little rosemary) GF flour mix, then egg, then seasoned flour with Ian's gluten free panko. Dip in chipotle mayo.

Bragu, for awhile at Costco all they had was wings. Lots of wings. Fresh, frozen, every flavor you can imagine.

Save    
bbstx

I made Chicken Lombardy a couple of weeks ago. Now I cannot find the exact recipe, but there are at least 2000 similar ones on Pinterest. Basically, it is sautéed chicken breast with mushrooms in a marsala sauce topped with mozzarella and Parm, then shoved in the oven.

Save    
plllog

Ah, yes, Sol I do see now that that is widespread usage. I have friends who say "basilicum" for cooking basil, and albahaca for the wild plant which is different, and never questioned it.

Save    
cooper8828

Chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce are in the oven right now. I'm using the leftovers from a roasted chicken.

Save    
Solsthumper

KatieC, Enjoy! Life got too busy for me to plant much of anything, but my sweet neighbor will be coming to the rescue.

Plllog, there are well over 100 varieties of Albahaca (Basil) , and they're all meant for cooking. But Genovese (sweet) Basil is the easiest to find, and it's what I use for this dish.

Sol

Save    
annie1992

Sol, my friend, I'm glad to see you again!! I hope you and all your family are healthy and happy. As always, that's one beautiful picture, and those fries, oh my...

I grew Thai basil, Cinnamon Basil, Lemon Basil and Genovese Basil and I don't even like pesto, LOL. Now I'm waiting for tomatoes to go with the basil!

Annie

Save    
bbstx

Cooper, I’m putting Pioneer Woman’s white chicken enchiladas in the oven in a few minutes! Great minds!

ETA: that chicken enchilada recipe takes waaay longer than it should! I make it once, maybe twice, a year and every time I’m surprised at how long it takes. I’ve now annotated my recipe to note that prep takes more than an hour!

Save    
cloudy_christine

Sol, it's great to see you here again!

Save    
war garden

chicken a la maryland is tough to beat.

panned fried in bacon flavored fat , after

dredged in seasoned flour. then covered with

cream gravy and chopped bacon.

full recipe:

1 Like Save    
war garden

chicken a la king,

also pot pie from williamsburg

chicken cacciatore

chicken cordon bleu

coq au vin

Save    
Jasdip

Bragu, I make a point of buying drumsticks for .99/lb and use them whenever wings are used.

I love, love Chicken Marbella. But quick and easy is also good! Chicken quarters sprinkled liberally with seasonings and baked.

Save    
Solsthumper

AnnieB., If I want pesto, I have to hide some just for me, or *poof* . . .ooh, those meddling kids.

Thank you Christine and Annie! I hope you both enjoy a happy and safe 4th of July with your favorite people. Sending my love from afar♥

Sol

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farm Your Yard Houzz Call: Show Us Your One-of-a-Kind Chicken Coops
Do you have a fun or stylish backyard shelter for your feathered friends? Post your pictures and stories in the Comments!
Full Story
Pets Backyard Living: The Scoop on Chicken Coops
Perk up your morning with fresh eggs and chickadee clucks when you build a chicken coop in your own yard
Full Story
Great Home Projects Is a Backyard Chicken Coop Right for You?
Find out the features to include in a backyard chicken coop, and see how to build or buy one
Full Story