SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_hannon1122498

Neighbors from hell during our construction process

Linda
4 years ago

I'm dealing with the neighbors from hell!

I live in a beachside village and we are in the process of knocking down our house and rebuilding. We've lived there for over 10 years and our house was 130 years old and falling down (literally....the historic board thanked us for taking it down and putting up something more appropriate)

We spent 5 years designing the house and actively shared our plans with our 3 neighbors. The town approval process took months and they showed up for the hearings. One complained about the height of the house during the hearings so we went back and redesigned a shorter house (and spent thousands of dollars doing it). All approvals were finished 18 months ago.

The week before the project started we found out the neighbors banded together and tried to file a lawsuit to stop our project. They failed...no lawyer would take their case because they don't have one.

One neighbor put up a fence between the properties (facing the wrong direction) and put up no trespassing signs on the fence.

Now the project has started, they are non-stop being pain in the butts.

Daily visits to town hall to say we are doing things we aren't suppose to (we aren't)

If we are there coming out and complaining or telling us they don't like our project (I've had to tell one woman to leave me alone)

Harassing contractors (yelling, threatening, hovering, spraying with a hose)

Nasty emails and texts.

Telling other neighbors untruths about our project.

I get that a project is un-nerving. Two of the three of these neighbors gutted/rebuilt their houses and we lived through the construction process....so we get it.

We are going to be neighbors for a long time. Does this stuff settle down when the project is over? We all got along fine before this, and we are great neighbors (we have always done things for them like handling their alarms that go off and shoveling their driveways and keeping an eye on their properties when they aren't there).

Comments (25)