tape residue off of eyelids?

rob333 (zone 7a)

Had surgery, it was a breeze. How do I get tape reside off my lids? Without it getting any of what I use in my eyes. Suggestions?

SaveComment39Like
Comments (39)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OutsidePlaying

What kind of surgery did you have? You can likely remove tape with a bit of baby oil on a qtip, but I would be careful if you have had eyelid surgery or something like that. You could disturb delicate stitches and do damage.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
rob333 (zone 7a)

It wasn't surgery for my eyelids. It was a complete hysterectomy ;)

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Olive oil might work too.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

1 Like Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
Elmer J Fudd

Ask a nurse.

Best wishes for better days asap.

2 Likes Save    
Olychick

Olive oil will work.

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

I'm sure any oil will remove it, just put it on a cotton swab or cotton pad. I know that oil will get adhesive off of containers if I need to remove a label from something.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

Lotion will do it too. I am allergic to the tape. I always got rashes around my eyes.

congrads on having a successful surgery. Did you get to have the computer laparoscopic in the end?

Save    
OutsidePlaying

So glad your surgery went well! I forgot you were having a hysterectomy. A small amount of mild oil will be fine. Just don’t saturate and don’t rub too hard so you irritate the skin. Baby oil works best If you have it, and then a warm washcloth compress and regular eye cream.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yikes! I've had all kinds of surgeries (including what you had) and never knew that my eyes might be taped shut!

But I would think that a washing with your usual cleanser or soap would do the trick.

Feel better soon; be SURE to take it very easy for several days or you can hurt yourself. Even if you feel good. Keep a pillow near you always for those coughing, sneezing, or laughing emergencies.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

If you have not already done so apply a very thin amount of oil to the eyelids then wait for a while. Then use a soft warm soapy cloth to wash the areas. You may have to repeat. Moist compresses can also help. The last time I had this done I was lucky they apparently used the type of tape similar to what is used in beauty parlors.

If you would ever need additional surgery you should mention this. What happens with some people is that when they are deeply relaxed their eyes will open. Sometimes something is placed in the eye to lubricate it if you are only going to be out for a few minutes. If the procedure is longer they will tape the eyes shut. When my husband had one of his ablations it took longer than it should and this was what I was told was the reason for the marks where the tape was removed.

I hope you heal quickly with little discomfort.

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

I've use this technique before. Very similar to Maifleur's advice. Wet a cloth with the hottest water that you can handle against your sensitive eyelid skin. Make sure it isn't burning hot. Apply the cloth to where the tape residue is and keep the cloth on for a while. Then use olive oil to help take the tape residue off if needed. Often I don't need anything but the application of hot water on a cloth against my skin.

I hope you heal completely, quickly!

Save    
lily316

I agree that hot water compress and then olive oil or baby oil. I hope you're back to feeling great very soon.

Save    
mdln

Glad your procedure went well.

petroleum jelly/Vaseline, mineral oil

We tape eyelids shut to prevent drying of the cornea.

2 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Thank you everyone; I appreciate the answers.

There are no external incisions, and it went very very well. I've absolutely no pain, and I keep telling myself I have to take it easy because I feel so good! I won't do anything strenuous as my all yardwork is done until my son comes home for Thanksgiving, my house is now spotless, and all of my career work is delegated for four weeks. So no excuses not to sit mostly still (gotta move to avoid clotting). Though, I'm sure I'm going back to work in two weeks as I feel like I could today!

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So glad the surgery went well and that you are feeling well. Happy healing!

Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
ritaweeda

A small amount of coconut oil would probably work, too. But be careful if you use oil not to rub it into your eye.

Save     Thanked by rob333 (zone 7a)
nicole___

lol "Ask a nurse". ha ha

Rob, you made it! Now concentrate on healing and NOT feeling those itchy stitches. Just kidding. Hope your finding "something" to smile about my friend. How's daytime TV?

2 Likes Save    

About using coconut oil: that's what I use to take off my eye makeup. I put a tiny bit in my palm to liquify it, then dab it onto my eyes, closing my eyes so that I can make sure my lashes are coated.

Then, a quick wash with a warm, soapy cloth....I use Dove bar exclusively. There's never been an oily film in my eyes afterwards but there's no question that my lashes and skin benefit from the oil.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

That is such great news that you're feeling so well. All the more you have to be very careful to follow instructions and not overdo! We want you to keep feeling so good!!!

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

No worries! I'm happy to kick back in PJs and fluffy kitty keeping me company.

8 Likes Save    
Sammy

I’ve been absent for a while and didn’t see the news about your major surgery. I’m glad to see all went well, though, and that you have a nice, warm water (kitty) bottle to soothe you!

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Happy that all went well and that you are feeling good.

Save    
arkansas girl

I'm kinda laughing to myself about all the worry of using oil on your eye area. Most of us that wear eye make-up use an oil or waterproof make-up remover every freakin' solitary day to remove this...HAHAHA! YES ON OUR EYE LIDS! GASP!

ritaweeda

I guess I forgot about way back when I did use eye makeup, how silly of me. Anyway, happy and swift healing for you, rob.

1 Like Save    
lily316

No worries with nurse kitty guaranteeing you'll have a peaceful calm time to fully recover.

nickel_kg

Glad to hear things are going well. But keep taking it easy!!!

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

Happy to read that the surgery was a success and that you are feeling well. Don't let the feeling good part fool you into doing too much too soon!

Save    
chisue

When I saw this thread 'going long', I figured there must be more to it than just tape residue! SO GLAD your major surgery is over, and that you have come through it so well! It's still 'major surgery', so don't get all uppity and undo the good work. (Surgeons get snarly if they have to make repairs!)

Save    

rob, that's a beautiful cat, from what I can see. Gorgeous!

Are you still feeling good? I sure am jealous of your recovery! My abdominal surgery was pretty painful for several days. I don't think that I was given any other surgical option.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

It's amazing what they can do these days, eh? No external cutting. I'm really glad. Still relaxing. Though, I may get off the couch and sit out in the sunshine shortly. Still not cooking or cleaning, and don't need to.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I remember why I've worked with my boss for fifteen+ years (though they're from his wife and him)

4 Likes Save    
lily316

Is nurse kitty still doing her duty? Nothing like a nice fluffy cat and pretty flowers to raise your spirits although you seem to be doing just fine.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Maggie Moo is doing her "duty", keeping me company.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I do not know if doctors still mention adhesions but they used to be the reason that after surgery you were advised to move around. With the new types of surgery they may no longer be a problem but worked with a woman who had problems with them re-growing. She was told that the reason they originally occurred was because the cut tissues form scars that started becoming larger over the years.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm moving around, as they've told me. To avoid clotting.

Save    
morz8

It sounds like you are doing beautifully. Please continue following your doctors orders and recovering so nicely. Kitty and all.

My SIL had that surgery earlier this year but with incisions, and the surgeon infused her internally with something that was supposed to stop any pain for about 4 days. It did. She felt wonderful, no pain, no other medication. They sent her home with something like 8 tablets for pain after a couple of days. She didn't ever take them, took tylenol.

Did your doctor tell you to go heavy on protein for the next few weeks to promote best healing? Hers did. I'd thought I'd be at her house, tip toeing around and helping her, cooking for her like I had done when she had foot surgery. None of that. She was completely comfortable and self sufficient (although her husband is now retired and was present too, there to run errands, pick up take out, lift anything she couldn't carry like laundry to the laundry room)

Save    
chisue

Remember the wink and nod take on "Better Living Through Chemistry"? Here's to modern pain management!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

The only surgeries I had were a tonsillectomy at 20 yrs old----my tongue was killing me as they pull it out of the way to get at your tonsils, and I got my tubes tied at 22. That was well before the laparoscopic surgeries of today of course. I was off work for 8 weeks, and couldn't lift anything, vacuum etc etc. Anything that put any strain on the abdomen.

Relax and enjoy your enforced holiday :-) All the best for a speedy recovery.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I'll try to remember it's just a holiday.

Unfortunately, I have issues with the trach tube. My uvula is iritated. I get to experience sleep apnea, or what it feels like, problems with sinus rinsing...glad that's the worst. I'm ahead of the game.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Budget Decorating 6 Fun Ways to Decorate With ... Tape?
Add a new accent wall, a midcentury closet detail and more with this budget-friendly, multipurpose wonder
Full Story
DIY Projects Quick Fix: Multipurpose Painter's Tape
Five creative uses beyond a paint job for those favorite blue rolls
Full Story
Most Popular Slow Living 101: Tips for Turning Off the Chaos
It may feel as though you're too busy to slow down and enjoy life. But even little changes can have a big effect
Full Story