SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nulesm

Amy greenhouse tips

nulesm
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Amy I thought I would post this thread knowing you had a few questions on the how's of growing in a greenhouse so here we go point form my experiences.
Heating a 8x12 GH three 1500W heaters must be ready to go on -25C temps or lower . Your pool cover should really help $$$$$.
Backup heat in case of power failure . I have a gas generator in case of failures. I also have propane and kerosene not to sure if these two with there fumes would be harmful to plants though .
Wifi thermometer or weather station with temperature reading of GH . I keep my monitor inside bedroom because you know 9/10 problems happen during nights or when your not at home lol . Very very important check your monitor regularly especially during intense cold snaps just a small power surge might trip your digital thermostat heater its happpened to me and a friend . If running two heaters all the time run one that does not have a thermostat it shouldn't trip .
Make sure not to rest your trees on the GH walls , during -25C or colder nights any foliage touching the walls might get frost bite .
Watering must be thorough and using a hose accomplishes this task . I use an expandable light weight hose hooked up to a faucet with an adapter. Also water with mild water not cold .
Humidity issues should ease up a bit once the heaters are on full time until then water with care . The heaters will dry out the air in your GH a bit . On mild sunny days open up those GH doors for a minute or two to change the air .
Plants off the floor in the greenhouse. The floor can get very cold . My trees are on shelves
Eyes wide open all the time for pests . Pests usually start to appear in numerous #'s right after Christmas. Every year it's a different pest . Overcrowding makes dealing with pests very difficult trust me I know . Watch for tightly curled leafs on your trees they are usually homes for bugs . Just don't kill spiders lol they are good . Spray tree's before bringing in fall.
Lighting lots of led's as many as possible makes work , watering , searching for pests etc at night easier and not to be forgothen the trees will like it to . Also helps makes reading a good book easier.
Fan circulation is good .
Place smaller plants south side of GH to let that valuable winter light in .
Fertilizing I don't start until growth and bloom starts late February early March and even then lightly .
Clean GH sweeping up dead leaves from floor and removing dead leafs that have landed on the potting mix . Clean GH thoroughly in spring after plants are out and again before bring plants in for the fall .
Amy you have such a lovely setup . I wish you great success this winter . I know you already know most of this stuff I've seen the pics of your GH . If I can think of anything else I will write .
Brian

Comments (71)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH