SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Noshes for women over 50 for a warm day

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Depending on the weather, I'm thinking of inviting a disparate group of old friends over in a couple of weeks, for an afternoon on the patio under a big umbrella. Not a real meal, but snacks and grazing enough to suffice for one. I haven't really done this kind of thing. I know I'd like it, but what do y'all think?

Mixed olives

Almonds, roasted and lightly salted (TJ's)

Pea pods

Pear wedges, skin on

Goat brie wedges

Blue cheese pepper shortbread cookies

Saffron ice cream

Granacha (old vine red wine)

Infused water (plain water also available)

Comments (50)

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I would skip the ice cream and add mini frittatas which can be made ahead and served at room temperature. Maybe add some plain shortbread cookies, too.

plllog thanked Fun2BHere
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

It all sounds really good to me, but a little dairy heavy, veggie light. I'd like to see something with some protein that isn't milk or egg, maybe a bean dip with veggies - hummus or white bean or edamame dip.

plllog thanked Olychick
  • Related Discussions

Finally - A Warm Day

Q

Comments (16)
    Was perfect here yesterday, 63 deg, 17 warmer than out average, and only 3 away from our record high. Of course I was outside ALL day. SOOOO hard not to pull off the leaf covers from the beds. Last night it only went down to 52!! Was 54 when I woke up this morn! Almost 60 today, but we're gettin rain later..under a flood watch..blech! Thank god we dont get serious floods in my town. Was havin a hard time not takin the leaf covers off this morn too..peekin at everything poppin up, more green than I expected..daffs, tulips, hyacinths, lilies (tallest ones are about 7/8" already!), irises, columbines, foxgloves, some unknown bulbs, snow on the mountain, O I could go on. Anyhoo..hubby looked at me like I was nuts and said "You dont think we're gonna get any more frosts?!" He prob saved my lil babies from my impatience. So I just sat there and sulked, staring at the green stuff poppin through all those brown dead leaves. lol. Daniella
    ...See More

Is anyone here single and over 50?

Q

Comments (17)
    Now youâÂÂve got me thinking -- which is why I posted here! Maybe IâÂÂve not been assertive enough. IâÂÂve been out there doing my thing, but other than my close friends I havenâÂÂt been telling anyone that IâÂÂm single and IâÂÂd like to date. When IâÂÂm at the grocery store, too often IâÂÂm more focused on getting what I need and getting the heck outta there and not paying attention to whomever is right in front of me. You know in the movies when you see the two romantic leads and they just miss each other getting in and out of a cab or crossing a street? That could be me! And now IâÂÂm also thinking about what signals I might be sending out. IâÂÂm very independent and that could come across as aloof sometimes. ItâÂÂs common for everyone to be a little guarded and detached in public and I need to be more accessible. Why would anyone approach me if I donâÂÂt look like IâÂÂm open to it? CanâÂÂt blame them. This has been very helpful, thanks so much!
    ...See More

Is this what life over 50 is suppose to be like?

Q

Comments (7)
    Pamper yourself!! Life in your fifties is focusing on your plan . You can plan on accepting the changes or choose to make each day fun. I went to bed aged 51 and awoke feeling 100 four years ago. I was irritable, depressed, angry, sore, tired, and searching for answers. My discussions with the orthopedics , my GP and the gynecologist was nonproductive and frankly scary. The Internet offered me a better insight with why I was feeling so lousy , depressed and slipping into a negative state. Having always focused on the kids, hubby and home I decided I need to focus on myself so I wrote myself an email listing all my complaints and things I should be grateful . I found myself watching all the women at the grocery store . I seriously looked in the mirror noting what changes I could make that benefits me. The focus was placing me on the top of my to do list. Your hormones are what make your skin supple, your joints flexible , your mental state balanced and your tendons pliable. It took me a few years to realize I had entered menopause early. All the medical personnel missed the dx cause I stopped my cycles at age 45. Place the focus on what would make you feel pretty. Get your eyebrows waxed. I can no longer hold eyeglasses and trim my brows. Color your hair every six weeks. I use l'oreal every six to eight weeks religiously . Drove me crazy to hang out in the hair salon for three hours and pay a 300 tab. Do what works for you but do it. Lose weight! I found cutting out bread allowed me to drop five pounds. No I was not on a diet but just ate no wheat products. Walk and stretch daily! The lose of hormones makes your tendons brittle . Tight tendons pull on muscles which pull on bones. Several times a day I stretch my hamstrings, arms and back. Seriously takes a few minutes and I feel wonderful. Google hamstring and back exercises . Just doing a few daily will make you feel great. Change your diet. I eliminated bread and added flaxseed, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and calcium with vitamin D to my regimen. Lastly have sex! I have absolutely zero interest but I understand that my husband does. I use the romp in the bedroom as ways to get a body massage. Maybe tmi but it works. I don't tell him but I think of what I need around his needs. Put yourself first. Lose weight for your benefit. If you are ever in the north east and see a fifty? old woman returning her shopping carts and five more it is moi! I purposely park the car a distance and return carts . The extra ten minutes walking and pushing heavy carts keeps me trim and in shape. Make a plan for you . Lose three pounds and then look to do three more. Do things that make you smile. Seriously was crawled up in the fetal position until I decided I want to live and how can I make this better. Start today .
    ...See More

Comfort or fashion (over 50's women)

Q

Comments (33)
    oklamoni, most jeans do suck, but I buy the stretch, and also prefer the elastic waistband. (not quit as fashionable) They are more comfortable though. Does anyone know what they call the shirts that are longer in the front & back? I can't find any, and us fluffy girls need that coverage. I just hate to shop for clothes! Oh, and forget the shoes, nothing fits, I have a short wide foot, most shoes are out for me. At least the nice looking ones.
    ...See More
  • Chessie
    4 years ago

I would not eat one single thing on that menu. Well, maybe almonds. And water. That's it.

plllog thanked Chessie
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chumus would be an easy addition. I could also add an artichoke and baby carrots to go with it.

Remember, this is mid-afternoon snacks.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I would eat everything on your menu and love it all. Artichoke can be a little fiddly as a snack, dipping food, but maybe carrots and cuke?- with the pea pods you'd then have a nice balance of color in veggies.

plllog thanked Olychick
  • annie1992
    4 years ago

I'd be perfectly happy with that, and even happier if there were some hummus, because you know I wouldn't eat the cheese, LOL. It sounds very nice, actually, and the saffron ice cream piqued my interest enough to think about sumac ice cream. Hmmmm.

Annie

plllog thanked annie1992
  • Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

what about proper tea with little sandwiches, scones with jam and cream or a cake ?

plllog thanked Islay Corbel
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

IC, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't say, this isn't a table. It's comfortable sofas around a coffee table height fire table. I have a round tray that I can put over the fire pan with the serving bowls, so there will still be enough room to set down drinks on the granite ring around it. That's why I'm trying to keep it to simple foods. I also think these women will like the simple whole foods.

Olychick, I'm pretty sure that they can cope with an artichoke, but I can also pull the petals and trim/cut the bottom ahead, so they can just pick the former out of a bowl, and toothpick the latter. I love cucumbers, but don't they give some people gas?

Fun2BHere, I've been thinking on the mini-frittatas. It's an intriguing notion.

Annie, I have a recipe for saffron ice cream in my good ice cream book. Sumac never occurred to me. Interesting notion! But that opens up a whole world of sweet and floral...

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I guess I assume if something doesn't agree with someone's tummy, they won't eat it. Cukes are always a popular veggie on my crudites platters. I love the little Persian cucumbers available at Trader Joes. The skin is so tender, more like baby zucchini skin. Burpless, too!

plllog thanked Olychick
  • bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

yes, cucumber slices. Perhaps some sunflower seeds and raisins in a dish with a spoon.

and use a cocktail stick ... *grin* a la Gordie lad

plllog thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • John Liu
    4 years ago

No cocktail? Has life become so nasty, brutish and short that old friends can gather around a table of mid-afternoon tasties and be without the clink and wink of ice and liquor? They're gonna snick out the switchblades and your party will devolve.

Oh, you wanted a constructive comment?

Everything sounds good to me. I struggled at first with how simple each item was, how little preparation or adornment. Then I realized that simplicity is the point of this menu, and perhaps why you're bypassing the frippery of a cocktail.

I assume you can get yummy ripe pears; I tend not to have much luck there. The ice cream sounds intriguing!

plllog thanked John Liu
  • Bluebell66
    4 years ago

I am a woman over 50 and would enjoy your menu. Although I would probably nix the ice cream (though it sounds interesting!) and add something like a big bowl of popcorn.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

I think everything sounds wonderful and I know this is a snack but I would skip lunch or dinner and heavily graze. I think other people would do that too. So for that reason I would add a meat protein of some kind maybe skewered chicken, cold shrimp, smoked salmon, turkey meatballs something. I am a huge meat eater these days. I'd also probably skip the shortbread only eat a teeny tiny bit of the Brie, no almonds and would try the saffron ice cream but would really wish it was toffee chocolate Ripple Carmel Heath bar crunch. Coffee

plllog thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • User
    4 years ago

I, too, would skip the ice cream. Not because I don't think it fits well, but it doesn't seem to be a "grazing" type of food. But everything else sounds yummy and simple. We've gotten away IMO of "simple". I also wonder about perhaps hummus to go with the pea pods? That would be my only comment. Pea pods alone -- you need a dip or something to go with them (unless they're filled with something).

• Chessie
    4 years ago

" skewered chicken,.. turkey meatballs "

Now that is more like it. :-)

The brie would be great, but not goat brie. There are many people that cannot stand goat cheese - honestly it tastes like, well I can't even describe it, it's so awful. But hopefully you know that your crowd is not one of these.

plllog thanked Chessie
  • foodonastump
    4 years ago

Like others I’d skip the ice cream. Sounds good but doesn’t seem to fit. Also like others I‘d like some animal I the mix. Meatballs sounds heavier than I think you’re intending; shrimp sounds good to me. Definitely something meant to be cold unless you can keep it warm.

I don’t think I’ve ever had goat cheese brie. Sounds interesting, going to have to seek that out. I understand the aversion to goat cheese. I hated it it the first time I had it but had a feeling it could grow on me. I kept trying it here and there and I was right.

plllog thanked foodonastump
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

I agree with those who say nix the ice cream....and your old vine grenache sounds love ly but I really don't see anything that complements it.
    The Brie ( I love goat cheese!) would be nicer with perhaps a sauvignon blanc, and you really need something dark chocolate for that lovely red.....and I would also offer a white wine

plllog thanked lindac92
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    4 years ago

No ice cream. But get a ice shaving machine and let everyone make their own Italian ice, Hawaiian ice. Iced coffee?

Lots of recipes for shaved ice alcoholic drinks

A shaving machine can be less than $50, to over $500.

My $50 machine has been in use for many years.

dcarch

plllog thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas. I thought bringing out the ice cream would be refreshing, especially if it's hot out. It doesn't seem to be popular, so I'll skip it. Thanks for the votes.

These aren't big drinkers. I think the wine is enough for those who want a little something. Linda, I seem to think whites don't go well with hot sun. I didn't know I thought that until you brought it up. The Granacha goes well with all kinds of picnic food, but I'll get it a rethink, thanks.

The goat brie I've been getting is actually milder than most bries.

Olychick, you're right. I was thinking English cucumbers for their flavor, but Persians are drier and would work better for this. Maybe angle sliced to better dip with.

I didn't want to make a big deal of it, because it's not the point, but the guests are Jewish ladies of varying levels of observance, so no meat. I could do some form of eggs, and the two suggestions have merit.

i really appreciate all of the input.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I would eat everything on your original list! Sounds lovely.

If you're thinking about a veggie with a dip, I recommend a veggie dip cup (you could use hummus instead of dip). I've served those at open-house type of gatherings and I just think they're much more conducive than an open bowl of dip that everyone shares.

And if you have time to prepare them, I'd never turn down a deviled egg.

plllog thanked Feathers11
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

I do love deviled eggs. Maybe buy smaller eggs than one usually does if they are available in your area. If it is really warm, a nice pitcher of icy homemade sangria would be a nice addition.

plllog thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Popping on quickly (not that I've ever 'quick' in any sense of the word) to say on a hot day, for a mid-day snack among a group of women friends, I'd enjoy everything you've planned. I'd eat only a couple almonds, but only because I've a bridge I baby : ) I think everyone loves almonds though, and nuts are a great snack.

I like the idea of adding a white wine in case you've some non-red wine drinkers, but not anything else alcoholic. I do drink hard liquor, but not when driving and I'm assuming most of the women will be driving - and I'm not suggesting anyone would get sloshed of course, so I think red and white would be acceptable for those who wish a drink. I love the infused (and plain) water idea! And I agree, I'd skip lunch and plan a light dinner if I were invited, so I think adding a simple frittata, sliced into bite-sizes or a bit larger - or the mini frittatas, might be welcome.

Around here, ice cream on a hot day, at any time of day, would be appropriate, and many people like a little sweet after a light munchy-meal. Perhaps if not your saffron ice cream, a fruit sorbet? If you do make the saffron ice cream I hope you'll report back as it sounds intriguing! I think it's always nice to make something a little unique to include in a simple meal, and give others a chance to try something out of the ordinary. FWIW, I like that you've not gotten overly complex with the nosh-foods, for a hot, mid-day gathering of women.

plllog thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Chessie
    4 years ago

foodonastump, it won't grow on me. Unfortunately the stuff has such a vile taste to me, I can't keep it in my mouth long enough to get used to it!

plllog thanked Chessie
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

There is a wide variety of tastes and textures in goat cheese. And also wide variety quality of what is produced.

plllog thanked l pinkmountain
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chessie, you're entitled to your preferences and I thank you for your contribution. It's perfectly okay that you don't like any of what I'm preparing, and I appreciate knowing you only liked the almonds. I know my guests well enough to know that they like the kinds of things I'm planning to serve, but it's good to know it's not a universally pleasing list. You might like this specific goat brie (I'll have to look up the name)--it doesn't have any funk, in taste or smell, either from the goat milk or the brie process. It has a good brie flavor but very mild. I'm sure you have a full life without it! Just saying you might actually like this.

Feathers, thanks for the suggestion. I think the guests would like hummus, and I make the stiff kind, so I'm not worried about it sliding around. Most will spoon some onto their plates, though some will dip from the bowl. Awhile back, when I was serving crudités at a wander around and chat type party and got plastic party Jägerbomb cups. They were great, with the dip in the shot holder and the veg in spears ranged around it. Most of the guests were unclear on the concept and just them on hors d'oeuvre plates, anyway, but it really worked well for those who took them. The hummus is too thick for those, though.

Sheilajoyce, I thought about sangria, too, but it goes down too easily and people drink more than they mean to. With straight wine they know just how much they want to drink or not. Thanks, too, for another vote for the devilled eggs.

Re bother, I have that down. :) I have an egg steamer that does 7 at a time, and I can do a couple dozen at once in the combi-steam oven. The chalky white shelled eggs they sell here peel best, but even the thing shelled brown eggs I usually buy are easier to peel if they cool completely on the counter before refrigerating. I figure they've just been sterilized while cooking, and eggs in general keep well. For filling, I use a Wilton hard sided press rather than a pastry bag, and it takes, like, a minute. And I have these covered devilled egg holders which makes putting them in the fridge dead easy. They hold a lot in a small, no-shatter container.

2Many, good point that some just don't care for red wine. Both is a good idea. Thanks for the frittata vote. I'm thinking that the devilled is a better idea, besides more votes. If any of them just want the protein they can dump out the filling. I can also add a few eggs in the shell to the tray for any who want unprepared (yeah, it's a thing).

Hm... I only meant to respond respectfully, but if this sounds argumentative, please forgive. I'm really tired.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I've had TJ's goat brie and it's fabulous! I do like goat's cheese, but the brie was not goat funky at all.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

The "goatyness" of goat cheese that many object to is usually from small creameries who hold their milk for several days until they have enough for a batch of cheese. Larger makers of goat cheese that have enough goats to make cheese daily will be less goaty. And saying you don't like any goat cheese is like saying you don't like fruit when all you have eaten is sour lemons. There is a huge variation in goat cheeses and in the same cheese as it ages.
    My late husband, the cheese man, thought he hated goat cheese.....but after some experience with different kinds from different creameries, he decided that some didn't taste goaty at all.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Goat milk can pick up flavors from feed too and other goats around the pen, if you catch my drift. I thought I didn't like goat cheese too, until I started getting it fresh from some great goat dairies. Eye opening. But not everyone has access to such things or even knows what to look for.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A guest came early just as I was finishing prep so I didn't get a chance to take pictures. I think the deep red of the tray clashed a bit with the orange (and yellow) of the dishes, rectangular tray and cover dome, but it looked really pretty with double walled stainless bowls, which I'd chilled) and some little square, ivory bamboo bowls. One of the friends brought remarkable, juicy blackberries that didn't have a lot of seeds or tough ones. I made the blue cheese shortbread, and tore up a flatbread (storebought), also some TJ's molded Autumn truffle-ish chocolates. They're in the shape of corn nuts and pumpkins had have hazelnut and chocolate fillings in many varieties. I made hummus, which was a great suggestion, but I didn't think the eggs were needed for who was coming. I put out a couple of in shell boiled eggs just in case someone was looking for the protein. As to the rest, rainbow baby carrots and snap peas, sour dill pickles, those little pointy sugar brined red peppers from the olive bar, olives, red bell pepper strips, sliced pears, and the brie. I forgot the almonds. With the hummus, no one missed them. :)

I got to use my pitchers with the ice tube! Usually, I have too many guests for them to be useable. One is an infusing pitcher, in which I make Grainlady's Sassy Water, but with an orange instead of lemon because I forgot to pick one last night before the sun went down. It's not safe to get to the lemon tree without good light. It didn't taste particularly different. It was good! I did make it the night before per directions, but just the one pitcher. No one was going for the plain water, so I poured some over. Perhaps because all the veg were soaked through? Anyway, even after sitting for five minutes, the new infused water tasted good. The guests really liked it.

No one asked for white wine. The red was not only ancient vine, but ancient cork! It wasn't dried out or anything--it had been stored in an angled rack--but the cord fell apart under the corkscrew. I tried to save it with the kind of puller that slips down the sides and got half a cork. The rest fell in. I was able to pour off most of the bits without losing to much wine, but I was nonplussed for a minute. Then I remembered I'd gotten a plastic float decanter years ago for use outside and it was right where I thought it should be. I have a nylon strainer so decanting the wine through it caught the rest of the cork and aerated the wine. Yeah! And it's easier to pour from the decanter, too.

It was damper and cloudier than it has been for awhile. It always happens around now in October. By afternoon, it wasn't chilly however, and the overcast finally burned off. It was very comfortable, if a little damp of air. As the sun lowered, I put up an extra umbrella for more shade. There was only about a quarter hour between when the older women left and the younger ones arrived. We ordered pho and spring rolls to supplement the spread for dinner. The porch lights and an emergency lantern with a big fluorescent lamp did use fine for lighting. I'd forgotten that we'd only put a plug out there, but not actual lights. More would have attracted bugs. I was delighted that the new cordless phone and less new iPad both had signal. Usually, I would come inside, but it was so fun just to order up dinner from the patio. We were done eating when it got damp and cooler again but nothing a sweater couldn't help.

Bringing things in, including flowers from guests, was a breeze, and all the food left was easy to put away. The umbrellas came down quickly too.

It was a really good day. Entertaining small and in shifts was stress free. Everybody talked about how much they were enjoying it. I'm going to have to do this again. Thanks for the ideas and assistance, everybody!

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

I always love it when people go into detail about the outcome of an event or meal they are planning : ) Perhaps I live vicariously!

Deep red, orange, and yellow sound like October colors to me!

It sounds like a wonderful success - and you've been descriptive enough for us to live without pics. I don't mind one early guest and rather enjoy the company, so long as they don't blather incessantly as I prep - ha! I wonder how anyone was able to find blackberries that didn't have tough seeds - surely can't find those around here. Sounds like a perfect (and thoughtful) addition to what you'd planned. I think your blue cheese shortbread sounds divine. Those truffles? We don't have a TJ's but do have another chocolate place and dark/hazelnut are my fav's. Good thing I wasn't there ; )

Ok, you clearly have just anything one might need! Pitcher tube infusers, nylon strainer and plastic decanter for outside, double walled stainless bowls... who has these things on hand? You! Sounds like you had near perfect weather, wonderful guests, all your dished turned out well and were enjoyed by everyone, and you were relaxed yourself!

Congrats on a successful Nosh Party!

Might you share the Sassy Water recipe? Pretty please with sugar on top? Hmmm... dare I go so far as to request the blue cheese shortbread recipe? ; )

plllog thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the apprediation. ;). I like hearing how things turned out for others, so try to report back. I'm just really bad at brevity, especially when I'm tired. The recipes are easy. They're both from here.

Lots of good stuff in the Water Jars thread, including the Sassy Water. It's supposed to be "diet" water or something. It's just refreshing and tastes good. I slice the ginger and use a bit more so I don't have to strain. The ingredients look pretty floating around in a water jar. With the infusing pitcher, I put all of the ginger and as much of the rest as would fit in the infusing basket, and the rest just floating. Pretty, and attractive. It enticed the guests in a way that slightly greenish water would not! The pitcher has a pour spout rake in the lid for holding stuff back. Usually ice cubes, but works fine on slices. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2418093/water-jars#n=20

The blue cheese shortbread was posted by Chloebud. I'd made them before, I think for with the goose. I use Point Reyes blue cheese, which is local. It's creamier and milder than regular blue, and I adjust with a little more cheese and a little less butter.. And pecans rather than walnuts because they don't go rancid as easily, so when I go to bake, the walnuts go to compost and the pecans get to play. The pepper is key. The two baking sheets refers to half sheets. One recipe fits on a standard aluminum cookie sheet. They don't spread. Oh, and I've never made the goop or used chutney or anything. Just the cutouts. I couldn't find my leaves, so just used some small shapes from a grab bag of cookie cutters. The dragonfly was cutest, but most broke. The butterfly is stalwart, the apple didn't look like much. I ate the posy, breaking off petal by petal. ;)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5542489/blue-cheese-shortbread-leaves#n=9

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

It sounds like you had a very successful event. Thanks for posting about the results. I'm another who loves to hear how everything turned out...both good and not-so-good.

plllog thanked Fun2BHere
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Glad to know the chutney isn't a requirement, and thank you so much for the other tips : ) Ha! You ate the posey... : - D Well, we gotta taste test, ya know!

Me, I love plain old water, and now that we've a 3 stage filter, love it even more, but most seem to like flavored when offered, so thanks for that too - it sounds so unique with the ginger. I've a pitcher with the strainer built into the spout, so slicing the ginger is a fantastic tip - and I agree, I love it when the 'stuff' is floating, it's as you say, more appealing.

BTW, dragonflies are my power animal ; ) And I've no idea what that means! Ha!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    4 years ago

Just want to point out that 50 is very young for a woman. As a matter of fact, 50 is still childbearing age.

So be careful when you are partying. LOL!.

dcarch

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL! Dcarch, what I meant was that women over 50, at least IME, prefer raw sugar snap peas to sweets. Not so much the ooey gooeys or impress the neighbors dishes.

Fun2Bhere, thanks, it was successful indeed! I think the only things that went "wrong" were forgetting the nuts and the picture taking. It was so great having such a good time, and not having to put out figurative fires. Also, with the small, low key group, menfolk gone a' (figuratively) huntin', while I popped inside a few times for hostessy things, like bringing out the extra umbrella, and the knife for the cheese, which I was getting when the first guest came and momentarily forgot, in general, I got to sit and schmooze too. Such a boon!

No, 2Many, I ate the posey during the party, one petal at a time, then the center. I sampled broken dragonflies while plating. :D There were also scalloped hearts and little stars, and a larger one which is arguably an oak leaf, but I think if you decorated it right, the other way around, you could turn it into a little girl with pigtails.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought of more while working today, 2Many. If your pitcher just has an ice rake, the ginger slices can probably get out. I'd suggest either cutting wedges, or putting the grated ginger loosely in a big tea ball. If you pack it too tightly the water won't flow through. Also, I never add teabags, just the cucumber, lemon (orange), ginger and mint. I'm generous with the measurements.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Thank you plllog, I think I'd be generous with the amounts too, it just seems the right thing when flavoring water - why not really flavor it! This is the pitcher I have - sorry for the huge pic, that's Houzz, not me. Actually I've got 2. My first one tended to drip, and when I got the typical Amazon seller email asking if I liked it, I said yes, but it drips. I sent them photos, and they sent me a new one that doesn't drip. Good Customer service. Anyway, you can see it has a strainer spout, and an open spout. I had a bunch of those ancient plastic pitchers that were stained from red fruits and teas, had melty spots where they'd sat too near heat, and other general imperfections from being ancient. Tossed them finally! Glass is preferable to me, but the fear of breaking is always there. These seem sturdy but lightweight.

Amazon.com: Pykal Glass Water Pitcher with Tight Lid 68 Ounces, Thicker Heat Res · More Info

dcarch, over 50 is very young too ; )

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cool pitcher, great CS! I see you really meant "strain". That will certainly work. :)

I usually use the infusing pitcher along with the other one, without the frozen tube, just ice, for the water that isn't the flavored water in the jar. It was so fun getting to use the built in infuser.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

plllog, your flavored water sounds so lovely and refreshing. I love floating citrus & cucumber but never would have thought of ginger. I don't have an infuser-type pitcher just a normal plastic so if I'm serving company I pour through a strainer into glasses and take them out on a tray. Not as easy, especially for refills. I will have to get one with an infuser next spring!

plllog thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

I've always thought a frozen tube would be ideal in a pitcher, so that it wouldn't dilute the flavors. Still don't have one, but perhaps someday : ) Yes, I love that (those!) pitcher(s). Lightweight but feels almost unbreakable, and the handle is nice, no slippy-feeling and easy to pour. Apparently I'm one of the last to make infused water, other than adding some squeezed lemons. I'd never have thought of cucumber, let alone ginger (edie, thanks for input, I felt strange not knowing about ginger in water!). It just sounds so refreshing. Weather is cooler now, so summer will be when I give it a try!

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grainlady, who posted this recipe for the water, said that many versions were floating around the 'net. I think the original was in a magazine. It is important to follow the proportions fairly closely. I've tried to wing it and it never comes out as well. The amount of water, as noted above, is less important.

It's never too late for nice water! 2Many, give it a try. And if your pitcher doesn't have a special frozen tube, just make ice in a small container and throw it in. Maybe less elegant, but it works. I use good tasting spring water to make infused water.

The thing about a good infused water is just that it has some flavor. Not sweetness. Not a strong flavor like tea or coffee (or pop) that makes it another beverage. Just a little something. It's still water. I drink a lot of water. Good water. A little flavor, or some bubbles, makes it a little different and variety is good.

But, yes, the cucumber, lemon, ginger and mint all help the Sassy Water to be extra refreshing.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Thank you plllog : ) I'll make it for myself, and won't wait for summer. Ginger is good anytime of the year.

Most people I know (and I don't know many water drinkers) seem to like their filtered or bottled water highly flavored. Like sweet tea, which they love overly sweetened. As in McDonald's sweet tea. Or those store bought water additives in flavor drops. Why not just buy a soda, I wonder. I might be able to encourage some future converts though!

I've fresh ginger right and mint now, but no cucumber or lemon, otherwise I'd be mixing a batch just for myself right now. Putting the needed ingredients on my grocery list.... : ) Besides, I just can't resist anything with the label 'Sassy', ha ha!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

2MD, right with you on the "Sassy!" Our cucumber plants are done for the year and I hate putting storebought cucumbers unpeeled into anything (no matter how much I wash them they feel like a ball of paraffin.) Would it change the infused water flavor to use peeled?

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Wonderful, thanks edie (smirky grin!). Now I'll be wondering what is floating in my lovely thrice-filtered Sassy water IF I don't peel the cukes. Ya just hadta remind me of that! Apples lately too, seem like they are really coated, and I love apple peels. Not by themselves, but on the apples. I think I'll be peeling the cukes now... plllog?

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You can use a plant scrubby, and warm water and mild (7th Generation type) dish soap, but I haven't had that problem. The skin of that one variety of cukes can feel waxy on its own. It's that resin stuff that's in gourd and melon skin. There are also Persian and English cucumbers that don't have that kind of skin. But, Edie, I don't know why you couldn't peel them. I think the flavor comes mostly from the flesh, but even if not, I don't think it would make it bad if there were a little less cuke flavor. There's plenty enough bitter in the other things.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

plllog, I'm happy things went well, and I also think that as we grow older/up (grin) we are more likely to appreciate the simple things, without all the adornment. Plus, I'm always far more focused on the company than on the food.

dcarch, you're right, we're just a bunch of young girls around here. Yeah, that's it....

I'm not a water drinker and I keep trying to drink more water, it's good for me. However, I just don't like it and making it "sassy" doesn't make me like it any better. I like my water flavored with coffee or tea, although I drink them both without sugar or other flavorings. I keep trying, though, I know it's a trend. (sigh)

As for goat cheese, I don't like it. At all. I don't care for brie or blue cheese or any of the "stinky" cheeses either. I had a really mild locally made goat cheese that I managed to swallow, but it all smells like old socks and tastes just like I imagine those old socks would taste. I keep trying that too, remembering Renee's 7 year rule.

Annie

plllog thanked annie1992
  • plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Annie, I totally get your likes and dislikes. I'm specific about the water because our tap water used to be foul. It always tested out as perfectly fine for consumption, but didn't taste or smell good. I used to use distilled or spring water, only, for cooking. Kind of expensive for pasta, though I don't do the restaurant style big pot of water--usually a 2 qt. pot for a pound of pasta. I just stir. :) I couldn't conscience throwing away all that water! In the last 20 years, they've been improving the water. I use the tap water for cooking now. It's just fine. But I still drink spring water (blue refill bottles) and carbonated spring water (recycle hard PETE 1 bottles). It tastes good! If you come to visit, however, I'll make you coffee or tea, or both, hot or cold, and I promise I won't serve you stinky cheese or Jell-o!

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Well, plllog, if I ever got to visit you, I'd even drink the water! Although coffee and tea are kind of like flavorings, aren't they? And our water is actually good, it's the same aquifer that Ice Mountain draws their water from, just a few miles away. I spent my childhood drinking it, usually out of the garden hose because if I went inside for a drink Grandma would put me to work ironing washcloths or something. I lived in White Cloud for 35 years though, and their water was dreadful, it smelled of sulfur and was always slightly brown. Maybe that's when I learned to dislike water. And now, of course, here in Michigan we have the Flint water crisis and all those PFAS pollution problems. All this water around us and we can't keep it fit to drink, sheesh.

In spite of the cheese thing, though, I think I'd have to at least try those blue cheese shortbreads. Yes, I know that if a major component is something I don't like, I probably won't like the end product, but you never know. It's that "7 year rule" coming around again....

Annie

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Annie, coffee and proper tea are much more distinctive than just "flavor". The flavored waters taste like water+, but mostly water. I don't doubt I'd hate water with your experience too. I don't like drinking distilled, either. No flavor at all tastes very flat and chemical. It makes good coffee, though, by not bringing its own flavor to the party. The blue cheese shortbreads are good enough that you could like them, but they do have some funk. I could also serve you something you'd like, rule or not. ;D

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County