SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_brino

C wire needed for new thermostat

Mike Brino
4 years ago

Hi guys,

i just purchased an ecobee 3 wifi thermostat. When i went to install it i realized i needed to add a C wire. Ecobee thermostat even comes with an adaptor to help with this issue. My Problem is that my AC unit is located on my roof and not easy for me to get to. So i was looking for any other solutions before i decided to get a profrssional or just scrap the wifi thermostat.

i came across a 24 volt C wire adaptor that plugs into an outlet. Last night i tried to install the Ecobee with the adaptor. I have 3 wires coming from my wall, RC, Y and G. It is an air only system. It looks like the old thermostat had a jumper between rh and rc. I connected one of the wirrs from the adaptor the The C terminal And the other to the RH. The directions for the adaptor appear to show the second wire going to the RC terminal but since the R coming from my wall already occupied that terminal i improvised. I was able to fire up the themostat however when i attempted to lower the temperature to trigger the Air nothing happened. Ive tried googling and reading different diagrams to help me however i am having trouble finding a diagram that has the setup i do (R, Y and G coming from the wall).

At this point im starting to wonder if the adaptor would work with my setup. I figured i would try and get some help/advice before going any further. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm