SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narnia75

Which is a better kitchen cabinet scenerio?

narnia75
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all, which would feel better upon entering the kitchen from the stair way? Being faced with a full-height pantry cabinet? Or a counter with wall cabinets?

Comments (46)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

should be a edit function, then backspace or the delete button.

so do you need the other pantry? do you need more counter space right there?

up to you since you know what you want. if someone is at the pantry, will there be traffic coming in through that door? you'll need to consider that too.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Post your whole layout. Looks like some things could be improved.

narnia75 thanked emilyam819
  • Related Discussions

Which is the better floor for modern kitchen/living area?

Q

Comments (4)
    I think for a contemporary more modern the really dark or a light floor both work. However, the light floor you picked is similar to ours and I don't think it goes too well with modern. Have you looked at bamboo? I think that would work really well as well as be a green choice. Light maple would be another one to look at. I think for modern you want something with more of a sleek look so that means less graining. I'll second the dark vs. light. Dark looks wonderful, but shows dust and scratches really well.
    ...See More

Which kitchen cabinet maker is better?

Q

Comments (2)
    When I see "custom made kitchen", I think of cabinets mile mine - locally built by a cabinetmaker from scratch, in their own shop. Though I recognize that some cabinet brands can be custom sized. If you want custom, perhaps check out local cabinet makers in your area. Ours was fantastic, an not outrageously expensive.
    ...See More

Please help! Which kitchen design is better?

Q

Comments (16)
    Even though the cabinets are in production, you may still be able to make some changes if they haven't made those doors yet. All those 12" doors would drive me crazy. The KD probably felt that 21" was a little on the big side, which it is, but doable and so much better than all those 12". Not to mention that 2 cabinets probably would have been less expensive that 4. Is there a reason they couldn't put the range in the middle as you show? Maybe a stud in the way of the range hood? Waiting until it's installed to make changes is a bad option, IMO.
    ...See More

which kitchen lighting design is better

Q

Comments (5)
    Exactly what kjs said ^^. Put the lights near your kitchen counters (lower right of the plans) with lights centered over countertop edges, and almost everything else as shown in the second drawing. The only thing I might omit in that case would be the "path" lights between the island and the dining area, at least on the side toward the range.
    ...See More
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Counterspace...always my vote!!!

narnia75 thanked Kathi Steele
  • narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H, I don't NEED either. I have plenty of counter space in my layout and I have one 24" pantry on the other side of the fridge, plus a walk-in pantry around the corner. I am asking in terms of visual / physical impact upon walking into the room from the stairs / front entry.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • sushipup1
    4 years ago

I just got rid of a pantry like that in our recent remodel, for more counter space. If looks are all you care about, then go for counter space. The pantry breaks things up too much.

narnia75 thanked sushipup1
  • ericakn
    4 years ago

I would go for counter space and make the uppers glass.

narnia75 thanked ericakn
  • narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H, I had originally put in that pantry to create balance, as there is a pantry cabinet on the other side of the fridge. but then, I thought that it felt closed it and obtrusive, so I'm glad to see that I'm on the right track! :-)

Yes, it would be a beverage bar. but now, I'm thinking that I don't need a 36" + 24". So, I think I will just cut it down to 36", although it may look too short for the rest of the kitchen configuration. Does this look chopped? I could put a plant next to the beverage bar. I feel that 36" should be sufficient. Is it??

Aha!! I could put a stool in that corner, to be pulled over to be used when wanting to prep while sitting!

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ericakn It is OK to just have glass in those and nowhere else in the kitchen? Wouldn't I need to repeat the glass somewhere else? I love the look of glass in other's kitchens, but don't want my dishes / foodstuffs / spices to be visible in most of my cabinets....

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would put the tall pantry directly on the left of the refrigerator, with the coffee bar countertop next to the door, and then just a straight wall panel on the right of the refrigerator to give you more walkway space between the peninsula and the wall. Keeping a pantry on the right of the refrigerator will block your walkway.

narnia75 thanked calidesign
  • narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

calidesign, I added a pantry there, to keep the footprint within the square of the kitchen...to line up with the peninsula. I need a landing spot for items from the fridge. We have a one-door fridge, which is very convenient for a landing spot.

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Our drink station area next to our fridge is 42" and it could be bigger. There is not room for 2 people to be making drinks at the same time. Just a thought. By the time I set out glasses and drinks for a party, 42" is small.

I do think the pantry makes it look closed off.

narnia75 thanked Kathi Steele
  • Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

I do think the glass would look nice in that area. Kind of separates it off without being too different.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

agree with Kathi. I think the longer drink station would look nice. You don't have to do lower cabs under that end portion tho. what if you made it open for a stool, or, maybe some shallow cubbies, or do you need a pet feeding area? cat bowls?

and I do like the glass above that area. makes it look a bit different. put all your mugs or glasses in there. maybe have the back of the cabinet lined w/mirror and glass shelves. lots of ideas.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I only have glass-fronted cabinets on one wall in my kitchen. It's where I store my everyday dishes, one set of "good" china, and all my "good"crystal. And no, I do NOT have a set of white dishes that apparently are "required" in kitchens today. Mine are blue/white.

Here's a picture. The center double cabinet holds all my everyday dishes on the two lower shelves. Things I use rarely are on the top shelf. Are the arrangements "magazine-worthy"? Probably not, but having glass in that row of cabinets makes my 11 ft wide kitchen feel a bit wider and that's a good thing. I also love being able to show off that speckled orange chocolate set that my mother bought while a student at Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia in the 1920's.

narnia75 thanked Anglophilia
  • megs1030
    4 years ago

I like the option with the counter, but do you need the upper cabinets above? Could you install open shelving for a coffee bar or dry bar? And yes, you can install glass in those uppers and only those. Makes that space feel a little different.

narnia75 thanked megs1030
  • ci_lantro
    4 years ago

No pantry...all counter. Upper cabs w/ or w/o glass. Glass would be pretty; I would use a patterned glass so I could store whatever in there and not feel like I had to 'stage' my kitchen.

Open shelves work in a restaurant because the dishes get turned over several times a day. Usually not the case in a home, not unless you have a dozen or so kids/ household members.

narnia75 thanked ci_lantro
  • ericakn
    4 years ago

I think it would look beautiful... kind of like a built in hutch. I have an area like that in my kitchen although it is free standing and put in a butcher block countertop in that area only. That may not work for you since it is not free standing. I would put my coffee maker there with pretty coffee cups and wine glasses. On the upper shelves maybe put serving dishes.

narnia75 thanked ericakn
  • Trish Galfano
    4 years ago

I'd get rid of the peninsula entirely. I find they just divide spaces and you end up with a corner that isn't as functional as just a long run of cabinets. make a longer island with the seating on the other side. rethink the placement of all the appliances.

• Stephen Piepgrass
    4 years ago

We had a similar conundrum and went with a cabinet with glass doors that looks like a built in hutch. We've never regretted it and it adds a lot of character to the kitchen. We had plenty of counter space already so we didn't mind having something a little less practical there.

narnia75 thanked Stephen Piepgrass
  • Sha Ba
    4 years ago

Just curious. What software are you using?

• Vicki Barker
    4 years ago

Absolutely you want the openness of the counter top. I ended up with a beverage station by mistake and I luv it

narnia75 thanked Vicki Barker
  • chispa
    4 years ago

Your software doesn't show it, but I hope there is a cabinet side panel on the left side of the fridge, so you aren't seeing the exposed side of the fridge.

narnia75 thanked chispa
  • margerymorse
    4 years ago

People here on the west coast are getting rid of upper cabinets in favor of open shelves. how about no uppers or pantry in that area but a big beautiful painting by a local artist?

narnia75 thanked margerymorse
  • PRO
    XPR Architect
    4 years ago

I love the idea of leaving the uppers out in that area. I always seem to want a space to hang some art or wall sconces in the kitchen, but the opportunities for that are so rare. it also makes for an easily lit counter top space.

narnia75 thanked XPR Architect
  • Cheryl Cerankowski
    4 years ago

def the counter. otherwise you just have a small closed in counterspace

narnia75 thanked Cheryl Cerankowski
  • David Adkins
    4 years ago

I agree with XPR, To nix the upper cabinets use that space for art work. But I would keep the lower counter top long. Haven't seen in any of your plans that you would have a wine or beverage fridge. If you were making this a beverage station thats the perfect spot for one.
    Seems that with every question you get advice to start over. You said that you did a mock up and found that -YOU- liked the design, so stick with it. Every time someone new enters my space they mentally rearange the space. I have sat for hours at the computer, like you moving and re designing changes. I listen but ultimately Im the one living with the space. As others have asked when its finished please post pics. And what you wish you had done differently when you have lived with and worked in the space. Good luck.

narnia75 thanked David Adkins
  • Mary K
    4 years ago

Hi Narnia75,
    what a beautiful kitchen! I am not a designer, but I will give you my feedback. Easy first is a pocket door. It looks like you have a really beautiful big window at the front of the house that I think you are missing out on an opportunity for a cozy sitting area. Ditch the pennisula. Put your storage on that whole wall into the dining area. Maybe add your glass cabinets on that end with a nice display/bar. Scoot the island over. You could add stools to the end of the island.
    My dream kitchen would have 2 comfy chairs and a small coffee table to sit in that front window.

narnia75 thanked Mary K
  • HU-930843954
    4 years ago

I'd opt for countertop with glass insert cabinets for pretty glassware and dishes. Also consider drawers under counter instead of shelves. Much easier to access contents. I agree a sitting area with view would be nice.

narnia75 thanked HU-930843954
  • narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

margerymorse...LOL...any local artist would have to be yours truly! I live in a town of 400 and I am the only "artist" that I know of! :-)

But, that gives me an idea...I should start throwing around some paint for a huge painting!! ;-)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Are you planning on having seating at the island too because if not, I'd make your island less deep so you have more room on both sides of the island. And if you are planning on having seating at the island, I would forget that idea so you can have more room on both sides of the island. 42" is the bare minimum counter to counter.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

HU-930843954, I am definitely getting drawers. My software does not have a drawer module.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Additionally offset your prep sink so it's not in front of the cooktop.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To everyone who is opting for a sitting are at the upper side of the house...that is the dark, north side of the house with a poor view. The dining room used to be there, but it was so dark and dreary, that we opted to move it to the southern window, with view of the flower gardens and a soon to come fish pond. We plan to use the dining area as our every day casual eating area, so that we can enjoy the sunny window and the nicer view.

As for the sitting area, there is the den to curl up at the southern window. However, we only use the eating area, so that is our living room, in front of our laptops.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

David Adkins LOL...you are so right!! Everyone has a different opinion! I love the L-shape with island! It works perfectly for us! I go from the sink to the stove on a continuous counter, rather than having to carry my foods across from the island to the stove. I have my small appliances in the corner and that works beautifully!

The only reason that there is an island in the image, is due to that fact that my husband wants a second sind with a second DW, so that he can clean up while I am cooking, or have a sink to make his tea and coffee with.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

chispa, absolutely! This is just a rough layout. I will be working with an Ikea designer for all the tweaks.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vicki Barker Thank you, for that pic! That is the same configuration that I have depicted! So good to see it in real-life!

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sha ba, The software is "Better Homes and Gardens Home Architect." I bought it nearly 10 years ago. It's a fun and easy software to just visualize. It even has elevations and dollhouse versions and a materials list.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Stephen Piepgrass , I love that! Thanks for the pic! Would you have pics of the entire kitchen? I would love to see the complete layout! :-)

• trish Koscheka
    4 years ago

I like it open. It will bring more light in from the door next to it.

narnia75 thanked trish Koscheka
  • Courtney Lane
    4 years ago

I would do an upper and lower on the left side, pantry, fridge, pantry

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

I would do the lower cabinets with 2 long rustic wood shelves above.

• Cat Chiou
    4 years ago

full height pantry.

• Adah Gerst
    4 years ago

The pantry should be on each side of the fridge and then open with a counter and upper shelves or cabinet.

• narnia75
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The pantry on each side of fridge is a beautiful look, as it makes the fridge look more built-in, but I really need a landing spot next to the fridge, so I am choosing to go with function over form.