SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpoanie

Bread——your favorite brands?

Joaniepoanie
4 years ago

Carbs aside, I do like a sandwich for lunch. Am really getting tired of the meh taste of the typical grocery store fare. Lately, we’ve been buying I think it's Angelic bread from Costco but it only tastes ok toasted. I am NOT a baker but might be willing to try an easy peasy recipe. So, what is your favorite brand?

Comments (62)

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

Have you tried these for sandwiches? I just love them. Orowheat Thins

Joaniepoanie thanked Bestyears
  • User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Aldi’s whole wheat bread.

I love fresh baked bread but it‘s not good for me to have around the house.

Joaniepoanie thanked User
  • Related Discussions

what’s your favorite pillow protector brand?

Q

Comments (0)
    Bought some Best Western Dreammaker pillows & I’m shopping around for pillow protectors. Any recommendations?
    ...See More

Favorite t shirt brand?

Q

Comments (16)
    I ordered some Toad tees, fingers crossed. (Remember when the company name was Horny Toad?) Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'm still looking at all the helpful links and options. I was just plunking around my favorite magazine website and saw this. The internet has been reading my mind. https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-white-t-shirt-for-women.html
    ...See More

Floof- What is your favorite commercial brand BBQ sauce?

Q

Comments (73)
    I love barbecue, but I hate sweet. Since moving up here...lots of barbecue joints but I don't like the sauce any of them serve. Not that it is sweet...just don't like it and one of them has undertones of too "ketchup-py". Every time I go back to the coast, I go to Joe's Barbecue in Alvin. Sometimes they have his bottled sauce for sale and I buy it. One time they had a cookbook for sale that had recipes from various restaurants, including the recipe for pork ribs from Joe's, and with it a recipe for his barbecue sauce. I bought the book, but haven't tried the recipe for the sauce yet. If it turns out to be the same as what is served in his restaurant, it will be an answered prayer.
    ...See More

What is your favorite brand of white wine vinegar?

Q

Comments (19)
    Now that I'm back in L.A., I can identify my favorite white wine vinegars. For general use, I like Acetaia Ducale Estense Vinagro di Pinot Grigio with an acidity of 4.5%. It tastes slightly sweet. My other favorite (which is quite a bit sweeter) is Olivas de Oro Fig White Balsamic Vinegar, with an acidity of 6%. I bought this in Paso Robles, where it is made. Olivas de Oro is my favorite olive oil producer, and so I buy their olive oils as well. Pasolivo is good also, but not my favorite. We always do olive oil tasting when we go to Paso Robles, but there is vinegar tasting as well. I will have to try O Champagne vinegar, since it is slightly cheaper than my favorites.
    ...See More
  • sas95
    4 years ago

I like Bread Alone. Not sure it's available outside of the NY metro area though.

Joaniepoanie thanked sas95
  • Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone, some good options here. Im headed to TJ tomorrow. Ill also try Dave’s and Aldis.

3katz——your Target has a bakery? I’ve never seen one in any Target.

Bestyears—-I have some sandwich thins now....I do like them for a change.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

Dave's thin sliced 21 seed, love it

Joaniepoanie thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

I make my own most of the time, but if I'm buying, it's Ezekial or Dave's Killer Bread.

Joaniepoanie thanked LynnNM
  • sushipup1
    4 years ago

I really miss the CA sourdough! Best in taste that I can get here in PA is from Trader Joe's, really nice flavor but lousy shape (round) loaf for sandwiches, and it has massive holes. But it tastes good. Giant sometimes, not always which is a PITA, has a square sourdough loaf that's good for sandwiches, but not as sour as I'd like. They also have a sourdough panini bread which I hate. Cut too thick, overpriced, and not sour.

• User
    4 years ago

Ezekial is ok for toast, but too dry for sandwiches.

Never tried Dave's. I see it at Sprouts. Their 13 Grain Market Corner bread is pretty decent. I've been buying their baby boules. Waiting for cooler weather so I can start making my own again.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I applaud Annie and Lynn who make their own!

• User
    4 years ago

Bestyears, Thomas used to make bagel thins.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You too Andie! Not sure I have the fortitude to knead and wait knead and wait!

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I’ve never seen or tried Dave’s but now I will based on everyone’s good reviews. Alvarado Street bakery is just a couple of towns south of where I live. They’re one of the sponsors of my church’s annual bike ride. Plus there’s a cat in their logo.

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

I was also going to suggest Trader Joe's multigrain sourdough... not only does it taste good, sourdough lowers the glycemic index! Unfortunately, I am no longer near a TJs. I used to always buy the Alvarado St sprouted wheat-- but lately, when I get sandwich bread, I get the Wegman's 27 grain and nut bread. For toasting I like a good seeded rye bread.

Joaniepoanie thanked Funkyart
  • maddie260
    4 years ago

Dave's whole grains and seeds is great toast, but its strong flavor tends to overwhelm any sandwich filling.

Joaniepoanie thanked maddie260
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

We don’t buy a lot of bread. When I do, it’s the Whole Foods fresh bakery Seeduction.

Joaniepoanie thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Joanie - our Target has a relatively full service grocery store, previously known as a SuperTarget. It has now gone through the redesign and is no longer called SuperTarget but still has the grocery store plus ours now has a liquor store. Minnesota doesn't allow alcohol sales in grocery stores but you can step out through the first set of exterior doors and go to the left into the liquor store. How ridiculous is that but at least we now have the convenience of picking up a bottle of wine "at the grocery store".

We still have some of the older pre-superstore format stores. They do not have the bakery. Maybe that's the kind of Targets you have near you.

Joaniepoanie thanked 3katz4me
  • Sueb20
    4 years ago

Mrn, we love Nashoba breads! I didn’t know it was available elsewhere. The bakery isn’t too far from where we live. The whole grain is too sweet for me for a sandwich but I love it for toast.

I also like the Dave’s breads.

Joaniepoanie thanked Sueb20
  • Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

3 katz...i’ve only seen Targets with smallish grocery departments——not much produce, limited freezer items, etc.

It seems Nashoba is only in New England.

Just looked at the Dave’s website and they make English muffins—-I hope I can find them here. Thomas's just aren’t what they used to be IMHO.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

The artisan bread I make is very simple and fool proof and impressive. I often make it as hostess gifts as it's so easy and comes out so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Annie! I will try it...it does look pretty easy.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

I’m not a sandwich eater usually, the yesterday I found myself craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my favorite bread, Brownberry Buttermilk Bread. When it comes to P&J sandwiches, it’s perfection. :c)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Yeah, you just have to ignore the fact that the lady in the video is dressed like Betty Boop! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Sue, yes, they sell it locally here in CT. I bought it a few times before I realized where it was from!

The Nashoba 7 grain is my fave for breakfast. I am on a kick where i slice a nectarine, put a dollop of farm fresh plain yogurt on it, and have a piece of toast. Heaven.

It is too sweet for most sandwiches. however it can work w chicken salad or turkey. My fave sandwich is one that the woman who used to cook for us would make. Fresh turkey breast (our market makes their own), sliced tart apple, baby spinach leaves, extra sharp cheddar, grain mustard on one side, mayo on the other. It is such a good combo though heretofore I would not have thought to put turkey w cheese.

Annie, I should that no knead bread recipe --- always heard about it but never have. I was always looking for the hardest way to make bread. Make your own biga starter, etc. That is fun but boy does it chew up the clock.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Have you checked out your local bakeries. I buy mine from a local small bakery, made on site, no preservatives.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No bakeries nearby and we are 20-25 minutes from TJ, Whole Foods, Costco, etc. When we would go to Costco we’d stock up on their Angelic bread and freeze it. Headed to TJ today and will bring home a few loaves to try. Next up Dave ‘s....I think i can get it at my regular grocery store.

• User
    4 years ago

Thomas's just aren’t what they used to be IMHO.

Hadn't had Thomas' in ages until this morning. Dh bought a package of their cinnamon raisin English muffins the other day. Toasted one and spread it with Trader Joe's Cinnamon Bun spread. It was seriously delicious!

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Andie—-I have been buying the multigrain light Thomas’s for the lower calories....maybe that’s the difference. TJ Cinnamon Bun spread....who knew?....it’s on my list!

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I just bought some Dave's white bread and had a taste. I think it's too sweet, like a lot of sliced white bread. I prefer less sweet, like a rustic Italian white loaf, but in sliced format. Any ideas?

• Lars
    4 years ago

I've been making bread since I was 8 or 9, and when I was 10, I won grand champion for my bread at the county fair. I beat 400 other contestants.

If I buy bread, it is usually sourdough from La Brea Bakery or from Cadoro Bakery. I made tablecloths for Cadoro Bakery to use at the Santa Monica Farmers' Market and did not charge them for it, and in exchange, they promised me free bread for life! I used fabric from work that was leftover from upholstery projects and was very high end. I think I made at least five tablecloths for them, and they go to the floor.

Trader Joe's bread is good, but I am not supposed to eat that much bread on my diet.

• User
    4 years ago

Annie thanks for that recipe. I’m going to try it sometime soon. Looked very simple. The mention of cleaning the baseball though!!!!! Ha oh my! My (elderly) seamstress told me a story once of patching all the holes up in a pair of destroyed denim style jeans!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Lars, can you share your county fair recipe! : )

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

Our Harris Teeter bakes a Rosemary and Olive Oil round loaf. Delicious toasted! I also bought a loaf of Pepperidge Farm German Dark Whole Wheat. It is a wonderful, 'heavy'(not the word I am looking for, but brain cannot come up with the word I want) bread that I also toast for breakfast since I don't eat bread too much anymore despite loving bread!

ETA: Maybe dense is the word I want. Anyway, it is hearty and has lots of flavor.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Since DH retired he's been baking bread weekly. He also uses the No Knead method, it makes a great sandwich loaf and freezes beautifully. I'll have to show him Annie's link to the faster recipe.

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So yesterday I tried TJ organic white—-it was Ok. Also bought the wheat but haven't tried it yet.

Cyn.....I remember reading awhile ago that PF is one of the worst breads, cant remember why (hfcs?) so I stopped buying it and Iiked their deli swirl.

Lars—-impressive! I’d like to see your recipe too. Now that I think of it I think DH would enjoy baking bread—— he enjoys the kitchen far more than I do!

Maire——looks yummy!

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Andie——had that cinnamon bun spread on an english muffin this morning—-thumbs up!

• User
    4 years ago

I am so making the “Betty Boop” bread and I detest baking! No “kneading until elastic” - a determination I could never make: does it mean elastic like my new undies or those old ones that should have been thrown away rather than washed?

JennyCanCook aka BB also has the same recipe for seeded rye bread, which is the only bread I eat. I’m in heaven.

• alex9179
    4 years ago

This recipe is very easy but I prefer it toasted. It makes two small loaves and you can freeze the second, of course. I use square Corningware casseroles instead of Pyrex bowls. There are several variations, too.

I make sandwich bread for my kids' lunches. One loaf is baked and the other dough balls are kept in a container in the fridge until I need to bake the other. My oldest was/is weirdly picky about bread for sandwiches. When she was little, I found a couple of sandwiches under her bed because she didn't like the brand I bought! So, she hid them or thew them away...grrrr. The recipe I use has a really long knead for maximum fluffiness, and will kill a Kitchenaid without breaks, but a Bosch or Ankarsrum mixer can handle it (don't know that I'd bother without my Ankarsrum!). I make a double batch to use all of the tangzhong and a heaping cup of whole wheat along with the bread flour until the dough clears the bowls sides. Sugar can also be reduced and I skip the egg wash.

Milk Bread - the recipe in case anyone wants to try it.

A roux or tangzhong will result in a tender crumb and extend it's shelf-life. KA has some recipes for rolls and loaves.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2018/03/26/introduction-to-tangzhong

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Joanie - was it white sourdough?

• Joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn....no, it was the regular organic white. I’m so-so on sourdough....don’t love it, don’t hate it. I should have said the organic white was a little better than the store brands I had been buying like Nature’s Own. There are still a few slices left, then I will try the organic wheat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Ohh, I have never had that. If you don't care for sourdough, I would not get TJ's; it's pretty pronounced. Good luck.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

We don't eat much bread, but when we do we like Dave's thin-sliced 21 grain. We keep it double wrapped in the freezer for when the urge for bread strikes. So good!

• User
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the Dave's Killer recommendations! We love the thin sliced Good Seed!

• Bunny
    4 years ago

This is a timely reminder that I'm still looking for the perfect sliced white bread. I don't want sourdough but I don't want sweet. Dave's Killer is way too sweet.

I know most yeast breads (not no-knead) require a little sugar, but why does commercial bread use so much?!!

Basically what I want is sliced sandwich bread that tastes like rustic French or Italian. Not heavy or dense.

• User
    4 years ago

You need to make your own. I don't add any sugar to my Italian yeast bread. I just don't feel like making it all year. Dave's is a great alternative, especially since dh is the major bread eater in our house.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I used to make all my own bread but I got tired of it, and perhaps my beloved bread machine broke. That was a sad day.

• cran
    4 years ago

Another Dave’s bread lover here, it can be hard to get as it sells out quickly here.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

For many years, I baked all our bread. At some point I started buying a soft sandwich bread for the boys' PBJs - in part as a way to add calcium to their diet because my youngest stopped drinking milk. Then we got busier and busier and I found bakery breads for sourdough and some of the rest -- wound up baking only for rolls, cinnamon rolls, a loaf here or there and special occasions. I've recently gotten back into backing most of our bread. I missed it -- and it really isn't hard to fit it into your schedule. We have some decent bread available, but it's $5 a loaf now.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

I bought Nature's Own Perfectly Crafted White sliced bread the other day. Definitely not for the carb conscious! It is so good, a little thicker than I normally like, but makes the most perfect Grilled Cheese sandwiches and with tomato soup. My son keeps grabbing a slice to eat with his protein shakes. I was wanting sourdough and either they don't make it or they were out at Sprouts.

• User
    4 years ago

Sprouts sells sourdough. I like their baby boules and accidentally bought the sourdough version once.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I don't have a favorite brand. I go to local bakeries and buy real fresh-baked bread therein. Obviously if I am eating out, this is not an option, but for stuff I take into my home...