SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

What program(s) are people using for making layouts?

helaurin93
4 years ago

I'm looking to plan a kitchen renovation, and really would like some suggestions for programs (preferably free) to use for doing layouts. We're thinking about yanking down one wall, and possibly moving or cutting out parts of another wall. Yes, we will be working with a kitchen designer at some point... but I really need to play with some general ideas and float them within my family first.

As a note, our existing kitchen is 10'x13' (and that includes the space taken up by the cabinets and appliances). The 13' side has a 10' wall that is share by the dining room, with a 3' opening between the kitchen and the dining room. (the only way into the kitchen is from either the dining room, or the back patio, where there is a door on the other 13' wall with the door pushing into the kitchen).

The back 10' wall has some countertop, a dishwasher, and the sink (with a window above the sink). The parallel 10' wall is shared with the living room.

We're thinking about taking down the wall shared between the kitchen and dining room, moving the kitchen functionality over into the existing dining room space.

We find the current 10'x13' kitchen just too tight, with not enough countertop/prep space, and the cabinets can't hold many of the items we have because the shelves are not adjustable. The two lower shelves will only fit in items that are 7.5" or less in height, and the upper-most shelf in the wall cabinet will only fit in items that are 8.5" or less in height. And for both of those, that's a fairly close fit.

And storage remains at a premium, because although there are only 3 of us in the house... everyone has different tastes which means our storage needs are increased dramatically. So I'd like to be able to use a program to possibly draw in possible pantry ideas, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)