SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anagurka1

Beige Walls, Warm Brown Trim. Grey Carpeting?

anagurka1
4 years ago

Need some general guidance about carpeting color vis a vis wall color.

We need new carpeting in our hallway and bedrooms. Currently we have a neutral beige, sort of an oatmeal color, as I like to call it. The walls in the bedrooms are beige, and the wood trim and doors throughout the house (a 70’s ranch) is a warm, medium brown.

Though beige is a safe choice, we’re drawn to some of the greys we’re seeing. Can grey carpeting work with a generally beige environment? What, at minimum, would we need to do to incorporate it?

Notes:

- Repainting all the walls is not on the list right now.

- In the living room/dining room and the family room, the carpeting is beige. Would introduction of a grey cause a disconnect?

- We like carpeting because it’s soft, warm and quiet. Though hardwood floors are beautiful, we are not pursuing them.

I’m not committed to beige or grey at this point. It might be that we’re tired of beige and grey is something new and different. But I can happily live with beige if grey creates too many conflicts.

Photo notes:

The hallway looks more yellow than it actually is because of the lighting.

Photos show hallway and part of entryway. To the right of the picture with the yellow matte is the family room (beige carpeting); to the left of the picture is the living room/dining room (beige carpeting). The little smidgen you see to the right in the first photo is a recently remodeled bathroom done in...yes!...grey, greige, and white.

Comments (9)