SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Is matte finish on hardwood a lot harder to clean?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago

I was 98% ready to commit to a hardwood floor choice (Junckers Ash solid hardwood in a matte finish) when I decided to put our sample to one last test. I asked DH to stand on the 3'x3' sample in his work shoes. To my dismay, his black rubber soles left quite a few smudges, which I wasn't able to remove (granted, I haven't tried anything stronger than a damp cloth and elbow grease so far).

We had the same floor but in a light gloss polyurethane finish the past 20 years, and we rarely had any scuff marks to deal with, at least not that i remember.

Just wondering if this is common with matte finishes? I don't want to scold everyone to take their shoes off, and I'd rather not have a finish that will require me to clean it daily.

And um, forgot to mention: the matte finish is on sale and in stock nearby, 2-3 days for delivery. The gloss version is not on sale and has to be shipped from Denmark--a 5-6 week delay (we need the floors sooner!).

I'm no clean freak, but I am kind of bummed to see how easy this finish was to smudge.

Comments (15)