SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
furqan_ahmed33

Split-Level Exterior Remodel - Opine on our design

Furqan Ahmed
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So we are in the process of remodelling our split-level home and have just completed an addition over the garage so now its time to finalize our exterior design since we've decided to refinish the siding as well.

Here is a before pic of the front, it's set back on a slope with lots of green around (this picture is from the fall I think)

Here are some pics of the new shape of the house with the addition (in process):

Please don't mind the roof color, we tried matching the existing color best we could as a temporary measure but we plan on a brand new roof next year so that will change and match our new siding.

This brings us to the new exterior. We live in area where the craftsman style predominates so we're trying out how best to fit in but we also have preferences. Unfortunately there isn't enough 'architectural interest' on the front of the house for us to play with too many different siding textures and colors but we trying to maximize the design and modernize it a bit from its 70' split level origins.

Please take a look at some mock-ups of where we are leaning - we really like interesting blue colors so the current leads are 'Wedgewood' and 'Midnight Surf' from Royal building products and we're also looking at 'Pacific Blue' from Certainteed. Unfortunately I couldn't mock up the wedgewood and midnight surf colors so only have pacific blue to use in designs.

Wedgewood:

Midnight surf:

Here is the best I could come up with so far (using the Certainteed tool - Pacific blue): We like board and batten to break up the long flat front and I think darkening the bricks helps too. We added columns to mirror the front porch on the left as well (plan to change the porch columns to square from round)

If we decide not to do the columns and keep the brick original here is what it looks like:

We initially liked the shingles look on the front face, but decided that batten is a better choice.

The roof will eventually change to something dark maybe on the charcoal spectrum.

We want to give the house an updated modern look to reflect to interior (which leans on the transitional/contemporary side).

Thoughts? Are we on the right track?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert