SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie

Well, I guess it is my turn..,

phoggie
4 years ago

Last week I had to drive 6 hours and when my back started to hurt between my shoulder blades, I attributed the pain to that. But when I showered, I noticed a red spot in the mirror but did not give it much thought. When I mentioned it to a RN friend she asked to see it and said I needed to go to ER because it was on a Sunday. Well...it was shingles! I was given some meds and will get a steroid injection in the morning. When people say they are painful, they are correct!

I had the one injection vaccination back in 2008, but have not had the two injection vaccination. Too little, too late! So I would urge you to get them if you have not.

Does anyone have any idea on how these are spread? I had chickenpox as a child but curious as to what has set this off in my body at my old age.

Comments (93)

• PRO
    phoggie thanked MDLN
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those who took gabardine, how much did you take? I have a script for nerve damage 1x4 but usually only take 1 at bedtime. What else did you take for pain? Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Well, I guess I will not make these :o(

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh Glenda..I make those pecan chewies (that's what we call them...) all the time.. My kids love them. Without the pecans they are called blondies. They are good too. But not as good as the pecan chewies. Too bad...They are missing out. You need to adopt a family...so if your son doesn't show you could enjoy some comany anyway... I know you love to cook for others. You should attend some small little church...They usually have a starving pastor and family that love to be invited over for Sunday dinners....lol patti
    ...See More

How do I turn off my well water?

Q

Comments (8)
    Opening a faucet to relieve the pressure seems like overkill. The size of a possible flood, with the well pump off, is less than you could have if a leak developed on a normal day, when the well pump is on and you're out of the house from morning to night. That's assuming you've got a normal pressure tank, not something unusual like a big tank sitting on your roof. If you've got an "instant hot" water dispenser, unplug that too. One more thing: If your well is in a well pit, and the sump pump is fed by the same circuit as the well pump, then don't shut it off, or water might rise in the pit and seep into the well head. In that case, just close the main shutoff valve.
    ...See More

I guess it's my turn to ask for wallcolor advice. Red oak floors?

Q

Comments (25)
    Stacey, you have such an interesting house! Your furniture looks modern, yet somehow traditional. I don't know how to say what I want to say... And I love the lamp with the blue base. I just bought one similar and am totally in love with it. Who knew? I really like the Edgecomb Gray on the monitor, as well as the Revere Pewter. I think both of these colors contribute to an eclectic yet contemporary feel that is warmed up by the old school type fireplace. I do have a suggestion. Instead of white built-ins, why not consider having the bookcases painted in the wall color you choose? With the black slate as a centerpiece, I think it may be too choppy with the white. Particularly if you go with a gray, this might be appropriate. I love all the muted grays and gray whites that Holly does on her furniture (Life in the Fun Lane Blog) as well as Anne Turner's Mouses' Back (Farrow & Ball paint shade a browned gray) kitchen cabinets. That's the kind of thing I'm thinking for you, although maybe lighter, like the Rev. Pewter or the Edgecomb instead of the depth of Mouse's Back. Even doing the wall in a gray with a little darker shade on your built-ins could be great. Red Here is a link that might be useful: Mouse's Back Cabinets from Blueprint Bliss Blogspot
    ...See More

Well, I guess I'd better tell you guys....

Q

Comments (50)
    Just breaks my heart to hear this, but her suffering needed to be over. Sweet sisters forever together. (Tears) Hugs to you all. I've always enjoyed all the pictures and will be saving these.
    ...See More
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I only took Ibruprofen for pain and inflammation. My doctor prescribed a high dose form and said to take it even if I could handle the pain so it could act as an inflammatory. I also took a week's worth of Famciclovir even though we weren't sure it would do much good since I didn't know I had shingles at first.

Worst pain was the one's on my head, and forehead. Randomly felt like a hot knife cutting through my scalp. Still get a bit of those now and then but less intense and rarely. The second time I got them about 2 months later I guess was the other side of me on my upper shoulder down to my bra line. Those itched more and the pain was less frequent and more like muscle soreness.

I took a lot of Ibruprofen both times. I was very fatigued,slept poorly and had digestive issues due to the meds. Somehow I managed to continue to ride horses. Went to an eye doctor because one shingle was close to the corner of my eye. He advised, no heat, no sweat, no activity. I chuckled. My primary care doctor knew better than to give me that advice. He knows me well. LOL

phoggie thanked wildchild2x2
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh my, watchmelol, that head pain sounds terrible! As soon as these heal up, I WILL get the vaccine...I don’t ever want to go through this again! And hope you don’t either!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Nicloe - My Walgreen's has Shingrix in stock and I made an appointment for after work today. Thank you for giving me a kick in the pants to get it done before it's too late.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

For those who took gabardine, how much did you take? I have a script for nerve damage 1x4 but usually only take 1 at bedtime. What else did you take for pain? Thanks!

I was originally prescribed 200mg of gabapentin at night (two 100mg capsules), but cut that in half after a week or so. This week i stopped completely. It's important to wean yourself off this drug, not to stop abruptly. It affected my memory quite dramatically, and I hope that improves soon. I think it has also impacted my energy, although that's hard to say since I'm still not sleeping 100% normally. But my doctor said gabapentin has a general "subduing" effect.

I didn't take anything else for the pain. I can't take ibuprofen or acetaminophen, and was advised not to take aspirin because of the risk of Reyes Syndrome.

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I've been taking the gabapentin brand form, Neurontin, (gabardine is a type of fabric) for about 20 years. 1200 mg at bedtime. I had mail pattern baldness on top way back then and I still have it now (of course) but still plenty of hair elsewhere and I don't think it's progressed abnormally. I have more hair than many of my friends.

phoggie thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

Elmer, since you pointed out Phoggie's garardine, I'll point out your mail pattern baldness. These things happen. :-)

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'll stick to what I said - mail pattern baldness. There a bald stamp that envelopes the top of my head. Stamps and envelopes = mail. I often have unexpected issues when using my smartphone.

I'll suggest to you one is a typo and the other a misunderstanding of the word but maybe not. Spell check on my phone is very erratic.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Oh, and she said gabardine, not garadine. A nice, light wool fabric I used to have slacks and summer suits made of.

But heck, it doesn't matter. When we do all this for real, we'll pay closer attention.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

I'll stick to garardine, an opaque fabric used exclusively for garage curtains--especially if a garage has no windows but the owner wants it to look as though it does.

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

I’ve had shingles 3 times. For me it starts with a stomachache that is only on the left. It it such an odd sensation. The. The rash appears, usually on my torso, left side of course. Anyway, the L-lysine helps and then I started taking it daily and I haven’t had a reoccurrence since.

phoggie thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

She did say type "gabardine" if you take a look. Or don't.

Curtains in a garage? That's a new one for me. Is that a standard interior decorating technique for people who entertain guests in their garage? That offers an easy way to save a few bucks, let them into the house instead!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"I’ve had shingles 3 times."
    Annette, I'm so sorry...three times is crazy! Have you had the vaccine now?

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

I have not had the vaccine. The first bout I missed the window where you should get it while in a flare up. Second time I was way too busy to get to it (the stress being a factor I’m sure), third time I went to the local doc in a box and the cost was over $200! So I went online and found natural remedies, L-Lysine being one. I’ve been shingles free for almost 2 years so I’m hoping I’m done with it!

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Sorry about your illness, phoggie. My hubby had it once and I remember how miserable he was. Feel better soon!

phoggie thanked DawnInCal
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

I was joking, Elmer. I know she said gabardine. My post had a typo. Phoggie, sorry about this. Hijack over.

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

You know, people like you hold me to a high standard. I feel like I've let myself AND you down when I fail. My therapist tells me I need to lighten up and that when I do so, I won't need to drink as much as I do.

I'd say more but it's cocktail hour here now and I don't want to be late. Thanks, as always !

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Annette, my mom also got relief from L-Lysine. My guess is after three bouts with shingles you might be done with it, but only a doctor can advise. I often think they don't really know. The vaccine's pricey but well worth it when I think of my mom's issues with shingles.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Of course Elmer would have a snide reply..,he always does to anything I post! I do use the autocorrect as much as I can because I have a terrible hand tremor. Let him live in my body and maybe he would not be so judgmental.

i went to the grocery store for a few things and came home and flopped on the bed. First time I have been out in a week and I found how weak I am! Thanks to my of you for your well wishes.

i realize the vaccine is expensive, but I am going to get it just as soon as this is out of my system....but believe me, the cost will be worth it if it prevents me from going through this again! So if you have not had both injections, I hope you will....stay well .

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

phoggie, I was one of the first to wish you a speedy recovery.

I don't pay any attention to who says what. I respond with my own thoughts to what I read, not to comments of specific people.

Do feel better soon.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LoneJack..,do you by chance live near Lone Jack in Olathe? If so, which Walgreens had the shots available?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"...but believe me, the cost will be worth it if it prevents me from going through this again!"

Definitely well worth it, phoggie! Someone told me it was $672 total for her and her husband for the 2 shots each ($168 per shot). She didn't even flinch at the cost knowing the importance.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

I was @ my dentists, an old friend & neighbor. She has Medicare insurance & paid exactly what we paid with our insurance. $154 ea. Once we each get 2 shots...= $616. I agree....well worth it! When I was calling around I was told a single shot was $219. Having insurance does lessen the cost.

phoggie thanked nicole___
  • User
    4 years ago

Anyone can get Shingles who has had chickenpox, which is why I made sure to get the vaccine a few years ago. My son had them when he was 30 and was in a great deal of pain. His was on his hip and he couldn't wear clothes and couldn't let the sheets touch his skin while he slept. He missed two weeks of work due to the pain. In his case, he attributed it to stress from work. He quit his job.

phoggie thanked User
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"Anyone can get Shingles who has had chickenpox..."

Debby, yes...and you could still develop Shingles even if you never had a chicken pox outbreak. That's because you could have been exposed to chicken pox at some point without ever knowing. As it was explained to me, "Just living on planet earth means you could have been exposed to chicken pox some time in your life. The chicken pox virus lives in your spinal cord for your life time. Some time, years later. the chicken pox from your own spinal cord might come out in the form of painful shingles."

Nicole, the cost of our shots was partially covered by Medicare Part D. We paid $40 per shot.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do not have Medicare Part D and have not reached my deductible for my prescription coverage so I will pay $150 per injection.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Um...phoggie...you have no Part D? Isn't that a requirement for anyone with Medicare?

My DH had no prescription meds for years and didn't enroll in Part D when that first came along. When he did require some (expensive) meds and enrolled in Part D he discovered he must pay a penalty for not enrolling when he was first eligible -- a 'forever after' penalty that is added to his cost for Part D insurance and that increases annually. It started at about $7 a month.

You shouldn't get the shingles vaccination for a while after this bout clears up.

phoggie thanked chisue
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

That question as to whether you should have the shot if had never had chicken pox haunted us for years. My mother swore she had never had them. No one in the familycould verify. All three of her children had chicken pox, it really does seem if she had not had them as a child herself she would have

phoggie thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

I'm not 100% sure but I thought Parts A and B are mandatory, and Part D is optional. However, as chisue posted, you could be liable for a "forever" monthly late penalty if you don't sign up for Part D when first eligible. Other things factor in, such as if you didn't sign for Part D because you had creditable prescription coverage from another source. I'm far from an expert on this, for sure.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"That question as to whether you should have the shot if had never had chicken pox haunted us for years."

morz8, you might ask your doctor about it. Also, it does make me wonder how likely it is you could have been exposed to chicken pox at some point and never actually got it. I do know a couple people who've had shingles and swear they never had a chicken pox outbreak.

Regarding Medicare, someone told me the flu and pneumonia vaccines are covered by Parts A and B because they're considered immunizations. The shingles vaccine is not covered since it's considered a drug. Go figure.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chloebud, that is correct..,that is why these vaccines are considered a drug and not immunization, which would be covered.

Parts A and B are for doctors and hospitals, but D is prescriptions. I don’t know if it changes from state to state, but we can change our prescription carrier every year if we want....which many do in December each year.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Choebud, I have asked Mom's doctors. We were at her endocrinologist one day when he said he noticed she hadn't had a shingles vaccine -would she like one. I asked him if she really never had experienced chicken pox, if she should have the vaccination. His answer: 'I have absolutely no idea.'

A couple of years after that, her primary care did give her the shot. The original, not the Shingrix. At 92, she's never had shingles, and we still don't know for sure if she's ever had chicken pox.

phoggie thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

phoggie, I think the open enrollment period from mid Oct to early Dec each year is nationwide.

morz8, ugh..."I have no idea" is NOT what you want to hear from a doctor regarding a shingles vaccine. Hmmm...maybe at 92 your mom's escaped shingles...hopefully!

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

Sorry OP. I hope you caught it early and have no lingering effects.

I am wondering (and will ask my MD) if instead of getting the new shingles vaccine, can I first have a blood test to check the antibody level and see if it is high enough already. After I had shingles years ago, I needed (for unrelated reasons) to have a Varicella titer test to show that I was not a chickenpox risk. The number came back very high due to the recent shingles. There were other patients who knew they had chickenpox as kids, but their varicella titer numbers came back too low and they were required to get the chickenpox vaccine.

In some states kids who only get part 1 of a 2-part vaccine schedule (like the MMR), the parents can provide proof of immunity for school with a blood test instead of getting the booster shot. Something like 94% of kids have immunity after one shot and the second isn’t required, it’s still routine on the vaccine schedule anyway.

phoggie thanked myricarchitect
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago

Phoggie - I live on the MIssouri side of KC. I got the vaccine at a Walgreens in Lee's Summit.

phoggie thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

I found the best information on this site.

Patient.info

There are a couple of antivirals, Valcyclovir or Famciclovir, that are used and seem to make a big difference for those who have multiple bouts with shingles. I never tried those as I seemed to be able to get through with Advil and rest. Everyone has different experiences with severity, so I consider myself lucky in that regard.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

Let me clarify, the website I linked above is a support forum. It is a group that most of the people have had multiple outbreaks and have had trouble getting treatment that actually helps. You won’t believe how many medical professionals still don’t realize you can get multiple outbreaks. So most of what you get there is people advising what kind of doctor worked and questions to ask when you see your doctor (not many old school doctors even realize that the vaccine if given at a specific point in the outbreak is beneficial or that anti virals are helpful in certain types). As I used to work in a medical field I realize that someone who graduated from med school decades ago may not be aware of more current options. When I had my third outbreak I took notes with me and he thankfully did some research and came up with a treatment based on what he found out based on my prodding.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    4 years ago

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) it is recommended to get Shingrix even if one is not sure whether or not they’ve had chicken pox (see “Who should get

Shingrix”).

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/

phoggie thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

OP, I am so sorry you're going through this!

For anyone who's been thinking of getting the vaccine, this is your wake-up call! Go now. Get it done! I had the shot last summer, and I'll tell you a few things about it -- things I didn't know -- I'm assuming my experience was typical, which may or may not be true:

- My doctor does not keep the vaccine in stock. Apparently relatively few people get the vaccine, and it's somewhat in short supply. When I requested the shot, my doctor "ordered it to my pharmacy". He told me to wait a couple days before I called the pharmacy to see if it was available.

- I had the first shot, which I think cost a $49 co-pay -- a whole lot better than some of you paid! Wow, the costs! And the pharmacist put the remaining dose into her fridge /labeled with my name.

- If memory serves, I had to go back no earlier than 2 months /no more than 4 months later. Again, I paid a $49 co-pay. Most of all, I walked away thinking to myself, "One thing I can cross off my list of concerns" and feeling very pleased.

Someone asked whether you can have another shot later. I know the answer: yes. My mother had the older single-shot vaccine, and she recently took the newer two-shot vaccine. Her doc said that the newer vaccine is superior, and it won't hurt you to have both.

phoggie thanked Mrs Pete
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Mrs. Pete, the time frame between shots is 2-6 months. My doc doesn't keep the vaccine in stock, either. I just walked into Sam's Club for both of mine. No problems with availability. I've now had both the older Zostavax and newer Shingrix vaccines for Shingles.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"You won’t believe how many medical professionals still don’t realize you can get multiple outbreaks."

Annette, it's pretty crazy what they don't know! There's an earlier post here from morz8 regarding her mother. The doctor's response of "I have absolutely no idea" is a little concerning to say the least.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"I realize that someone who graduated from med school decades ago may not be aware of more current options."

Current knowledge of shingles inoculations (Shingrex) and ALL other immunizations is basic stock in trade for any primary care physician. Something they all must know like their own middle names, instantly. A doctor who isn't up to date on what they need to know to treat patients is incompetent. Find another.

Patient forums aren't a substitute for getting competent medical advice.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Looks like an interesting forum, Annette. There can be value in people sharing experiences. We're all different, but some--many--helpful hints really can be helpful. I learned about the benefit of lemon balm tea from a blog by a young woman who shared what helped her when she had shingles, and I learned about Dr. Bonner's scent-free liquid castile soap from an online shingles discussion. At the KT, I learned that gabapentin can cause the symptoms I was experiencing. At the same time I learned one should never stop gabapentin abruptly. Neither the pharmacist who talked to me about the drug nor my doctor mentioned these things.

Someone in the linked forum was asking about shingles and muscle weakness. I'd just as soon not join another online group right now, but I'm tempted to respond since this is what I've been going through. An MRI is scheduled for tomorrow.

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"At the same time I learned one should never stop gabapentin abruptly. Neither the pharmacist who talked to me about the drug nor my doctor mentioned these things."

Alisande, that's alarming, for sure. My own experience is it can be very concerning what the docs and pharmacists don't mention regarding various drugs.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

California pharmacy rules REQUIRE a patient to have a consultation with a pharmacist (not one of the techs or counter people) for any new prescription. It would be at that time information/instructions about the drug and the prescription would be provided.

I don't know if this rule is followed 100% but it always happens for me, and sometimes inconveniently if I'm in a hurry. But a requirement is a requirement and I appreciate it. It's a good rule.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Yes, and I've had those consultations even when a prescription isn't new.

phoggie thanked chloebud
  • Alisande
    4 years ago

I did have a consultation with the pharmacist about gabapentin. All she said was that it would make me drowsy, but that wouldn't be a problem since I was going to take it at night.

phoggie thanked Alisande
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

That's a shame, very poor service from that pharmacist to have not given you a complete rundown, the drug pamphlet with more specific information to read at your convenience, or a suggestion that you look at that on the internet. That's reason enough to take your business elsewhere next time.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH