SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

I guess it's my turn to ask for wallcolor advice. Red oak floors?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I thought I had decided on Ben Moore's Edgecomb Grey, but I just painted some swatches on the wall and I don't think I'm happy with it. Feeling a little lost, anyone want to advise?

The room has red oak floors (which are pinky-orange) and a Tunisian rug with pinkish hues. I feel like the Edgecomb Grey is also too pink!

Really, it probably needs a nice white, like Linen White. But the problem is that one end wall has a monolithic 6' wide wall of black slate behind the fireplace. It's VERY dark, and VERY dramatic...The slate had been much lighter grey when I chose and installed it, but then I sealed it and it went VERY black :( Gotta live with it. Anyway- I was hoping to find a color dark enough to soften the contrast between the slate and the adjacent walls.

We don't want to go really dark, since this space is open to the rest of the house and we're really going for an open, airy feel. The house was previously very dark and we spent a lot of $$ opening it up to bring light in!

I'll post a photo, but be advised, it's still under construction. The trim isn't installed (will be BM White Dove) and the teak cases -which add more pink/red tones to the room- are not going to be there. We'll have 48" high white built-in bookcases on those two walls. The chairs will eventually change and the sofa recovered in similar tone.The teak and black leather dining set stays, though.

Pics in a moment.... and thank you. I never thought I'd be asking strangers for help choosing room colors, but I have seen you give some great advice to others on here, so I will give it a shot. I appreciate your thoughts.

Comments (25)