SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tia_ns

Improving landing area- add a mud room?

tia_ns
4 years ago

Fall & winter are coming and after four years here, I need to make a decision on doing something with our landing area.

Our interior garage door opens right into the house- there is a dining nook, then the kitchen and immediately to the right, our living area.

There is a small coat closet that is supposed to house all of our shoes, hats, gloves, jackets, etc. With two kids, more stuff ends up outside the coat closet than in.

As you see from photos, there is a ton of unused space that I think can be repurposed for better storage. I had an architect come and provide two options:

Option 1: Remove the door and molding to coat closet and use the 39” of space to build 3 cabinets and cubbies. Then build out shelving with doors along the long knee wall.

Option 2: Do same as option 1 with coat closet, but leave long knee wall alone. Also remove stair landing, put up two walls and turn this area into a small mud room. This option is more extensive but could also provide us a good way to close off the bonus room upstairs- currently the noise from video kids carries down the stairs.

I’d love to hear your feedback on these options and if there is a third we should consider? Storage in the garage is not ideal because we are constantly fighting spiders, sometimes copperheads and other creepy crawlers...

Thanks!

Comments (6)