SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonbull

Need to replace this door.... Advice?

Replacing a door that leads to my apartment. It's in a 100 year old barn. The door here is 2" too short as seen in photos, and the draft, bugs, etc that get in are unbearable. Once winter comes me and the kids are screwed, not to mention the heating costs!

This is my "front door", but is not exposed to the elements outside. It is in a room in the barn, if that makes sense. I just want it to be airtight for the winter, other than that I have little opinion on the looks. Function over form.

I do like how the current door sits flush with the molding and fits in with the aesthetic of a 100 year old building.

It is 3/4" thick and 28" wide. Seems to be made of a hardwood beadboard or perhaps a very old type of pine that acts like hardwood?

My thought is to just get a piece of finish plywood, cut and sand down to the exact size and shape of the door opening. Weather strip it. And put a "Z" brace on the back. Basically duplicate what is here alrwsdy and make it as stress free as I can.

How do I seal the bottom with it being on top of a tread? Do I cut it as close as I can and then install a sweeper?

Thoughts?

Tips?

Grey side is exterior, white side is interior

Comments (23)