Help with Brit-speak.....Part 3
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (68)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
HELP - repotting Schefflera arboricola 'Variegata'
Comments (12)Sorry hadda run off like that.....Moby was playing (don't know if you know him, but has sentimental value.... : ) As far as falling off a truck, I doubt it. It's in a pot like anyone would repot a plant in. Has one of those 'connected' bottoms so water sits in it unless you tip it sideways. Friend said it just looked like someone just threw it out in front of their house and I can't imagine why no one grabbed it up before him. Maybe like an eviction situation? I never really got details. Just know I know plants and this poor guy had been laying out there for at least a month. That's how HARD he'd tried to grow upright. He was downright 90º angled up to the sun from his pot. Friend did good taking care of him, getting him growing right, except for turning after he'd righted himself. Like I said, we were of two minds on that one. Friend grew up on a farm so I imagine he was used to only natural growth. I tried to teach him about consistently rotating plants, but to no avail. Probably why this guy STILL looks so funky. But that's part of his charm. I will definitely try to take pics outdoors tomorrow. We're calling for low 50's, which is really GREAT for our time of year (VA east coast, near Va. Beach). I see we're on opposite coasts. But I know our weather is MUCH different. In fact, if you don't mind me asking a non-plant related question.....why is it when I watch TV shows filmed on the CA coast that one person has on a sweater and long pants yet another has on a tank top and shorts? I mean, we have strange weather here where one day you wear shorts and flip-flops and the next you need a sweatshirt. But (and I know it's TV) from what I can see, people in your area have all kinds of different clothing on all on the same day??? Plus, I see shows with real estate with the homes with no screens in the windows? Don't you have bugs? We have nasty mosquitoes, being so close to swamp lands and wet lands (which I guess you don't have??) If this is too "off topic" feel free to email me in detail. This has been a question I have been wanting to ask for soooo long now and never knew where to ask it. Didn't want to Google.....ha ha ha. Bonnie aka brit5467...See Morepaging sara the Brit
Comments (6)My apologies - I'm travelling, and only just saw this post! To be truthful, I couldn't have helped anyway, because I've never cooked a lasagne! On the extremely rare occasions one is constructed at our house, Himself does it (it's his genetic history after all). But since there's only the two of us, and he cooks for about 20, it's only actually happened about 3 times in the past 6 years. Now, if you're just talking about making the meat sauce, I could have helped you there, because even he admits my sauce is better than his . . . . :) Glad you had a lovely anniversary, and I'm sure your lasagne was perfect, without any input from anyone else!...See MoreHELP - are perennials still okay if frozen in pots?
Comments (23)Okay...JUST got done putting the new ones in bought on clearance a month or so ago. THOSE were the ones I was really concerned with because they aren't established. Here's all the info. I don't think I ever told the whole story. It's a raised bed about 6" high. Built it Nov/Dec before all this cold. We had too much rain and too muddy to plant in regular garden so figured, hmmmm -- "raised bed" -- stick new plants in, throw in DRY soil around them and good to go. BUT -- sh-t happens, THAT never happened, & I ended up with my current problem. That being said, I guess there's some variables that might come into play with what you guys have to say. These ARE new plants from big box stores which gardengal's info seems to relate to -- young roots on outer part of rootball are vulnerable. And I noticed them (fresh roots) when I planted them. BTW, great wealth of info, gardengal. TKS !!! And BTW, all the rootballs were very wet. One had that that funky, too much water stench. Msk3 -- I get what you're saying, too. Somewhere else on this site (before I got myself into this trouble & was looking for solutions) there was a post all about overwintering pots outside, on their sides for drainage, etc. and people seem to do it all the time. But it was mainly Northern areas and I got confused because I don't really know what 'overwintering' is with regards to doing it ouside??? Does that mean you dig up established plants?? And, not coming from your sort of weather (I see youre in MI with lots of snow, Im sure) -- why do you do it versus just leaving them in the ground? I'm not being a smart-ass, just uninformed. Because I CAN see where that may make a difference (established plant vs- new in pot). Around here, snow is such a big deal that the city shuts down. Literally. I'm serious. So plants around here are 'sissy' plants...ha ha ha. Does snow have anything to do with it? So mxk3, you could help me understand more by explaining about overwintering and why its necessary for you? TKS !! You can even email me if you wanna. NOW, for my current dilemma -- I was able to put plants in bed with an inch of existing tilled soil mixed with store bought (bagged) compost/manure. BUT -- didn't have enough soil to fill whole bed and cover plants properly. So I teased out bottom roots (and with some, pulled off a chunk of soggy roots) dug down 1" or so, set into place then dumped what little soil/manure compost I had into the bed and mounded enough around each one so crowns & entire root ball is covered. The mound is about 3 - 4" wider in circumference than the root ball. Had hoped that was enough protection. Soooo.considering all that these plants have been thru, should I still go back out there and fill the bed with leaves? They arent mulched leaves. Just raked up leaves. I ask because presently, it's only 32 (30 on Weather Channel) but we are expecting snow (ha ha...maybe, since we never get it this close to the beach. But it DID snow a little before Xmas). Tomorrow it will be warmer, but will drop into high 20's in evening for next few evenings. However, tomorrow I plan to get more dirt, mix with my many bags of compost/manure (that I 'thought' I could use in place of soil) and fill in the whole garden, weather permitting. Pretty much, these plants are planted properly but just with spaces in between each one. Didnt want to use my mulch yet since I still need to put more dirt in the entire bed. Right now, it looks like what I imagine groundhog mounds look like (I dont have that problem, so I dont know.???) All this being said (& I apologize for it being so long) what do you guys think NOW?? Especially about putting the leaves down? Gardengal...I'm really thinking about what your info said about how I won't see the effects until AFTER things start growing (or not growing). As it stands, the foliage is still alive and healthy. But I see what you mean about the root damage. It's like hitting your fingernail with a hammer. It looks fine until it starts to grow out and then it can be funky for 6 mos. to a year...ha ha ha....See MoreWhy don't Americans love hedge like Brits?
Comments (72)I also live in Virginia, and was thinking about the British hedge for privacy reasons. I took a roadtrip in the UK several years ago, and my first notice of hedgerows was while driving a one-lane country road in my car rental. The roads were extremely narrow, with little room for mistakes. Initially, I feared accidentally scratching the paint while maintaining the center of the lane. Then, my fear turned into terror when the hedgerows intermittently vanished in favor of a stone walls. It scared the crap out of me. Needless to say, the hedgerows return was a welcome sight. I know I am writing this well after the first post, but for anyone wanting a look at hedgerow building, you should check out Season 2, Episode 6 of Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime. As for the "Americans are lazy" comment.. Americans rank relatively high as one of hardest working people in the world, especially against most developed countries. I do think Americans wouldn't take the time to maintain a hedge, but I believe it is more about 'how' they prioritize their time. Even I have berated my brother on the amount of time he spends on his yard. I have commented to him that he spends more time on maintaining it, rather than enjoying it....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

PLANTING IDEAS3 Color Palettes to Help Set Your Garden’s Mood
Select plants in these color combinations to create an outdoor space that’s cheerful, energizing or calming
Full Story
LIGHTINGThe Pros and Cons of Recessed Lighting
A lighting designer shares three things recessed lights do well and three things to watch out for
Full Story
COLORPick-a-Paint Help: How to Quit Procrastinating on Color Choice
If you're up to your ears in paint chips but no further to pinning down a hue, our new 3-part series is for you
Full Story
WORKING WITH AN ARCHITECTWho Needs 3D Design? 5 Reasons You Do
Whether you're remodeling or building new, 3D renderings can help you save money and get exactly what you want on your home project
Full Story
EXTERIORSHelp! What Color Should I Paint My House Exterior?
Real homeowners get real help in choosing paint palettes. Bonus: 3 tips for everyone on picking exterior colors
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREInnovative Screens Add Architectural Wonder on 3 Modern Homes
Aiding privacy and filtering sunlight may have been important, but these screens offer dazzling visuals as part of the package
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 38 Years of Renovations Help Artists Live Their Dream
Twin art studios. Space for every book and model ship. After four decades of remodeling, this farmhouse has two happy homeowners
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSupport Bumblebees by Providing Forage in 3 Seasons
Bumblebees are fascinating and fun to observe foraging in gardens. Find out how to create a buffet for these fuzzy, charismatic bees
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
MOST POPULARChoosing Color: See 1 Cute Home in 3 Exterior Paint Palettes
Here’s proof that a little bit of fun color can add a whole lot of flair to your house
Full Story
vee_new