SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

About to meet with builder for the 4th time

riverrat1
4 years ago

We have been in the planning stages for our new home for 3 years. We've worked very closely with an Architect and have been very pleased with the process. It's now time to sign a contract with the builder and we would like for him to consider signing an AIA contract for our build. He is resistant saying "I have paid a lot of money on lawyers to draw up this contract and everyone has been OK with it". Well, I've paid a lot of money for an Architect and an attorney. There are several things in his contract we are questioning/concerned with the help of our attorney and Architect. He is aware of this and asked for a meeting today.

We really like his work and he's a personable guy. He's built 4 custom homes in the area that we would build. We've talked with several of his references and they all said things were great during their build and are very happy with the outcome.

We do have another builder that we interviewed twice that would be happy to sign an AIA contract.

I guess my # 1 question is, why would a builder not sign an AIA contract? Am I missing something? An AIA contract does a good job of protecting both the builder and the home owner. I'd like to hear what you guys think before I meet with him at 12:00 TODAY.

Comments (33)