SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish

adding nitrogen to hardwood shavings compost?

coatfetish
4 years ago

Any advice/info welcomed! I have a source for kiln dried hardwood shavings from a custom furniture builder in town. I picked up 3 lawn/leaf sized bags today that he said was mostly ash, elm, oak, and about 12% walnut today - the mix changes based on his orders. He did say he could keep the walnut separate in the future so I wouldn't have to take it (I don't know if the juglone is primarily within roots, and if it breaks down in compost). He can give me 2 - 3 bags like this a week through December since it's his busy season. My question is if I can speed up the compost process by adding nitrogen to the pile. I want to start a new pile with what I get from this guy, and I wondered if adding alfalfa pellets, blood meal, or urea could be beneficial. If at all possible I'd like to get the process going well enough that I can use a portion of this in the new raised veggie and flower beds I make late next spring. If it would need another year to compost I could do that, too, but I was hoping to be able to use some of it next year. The compost will have more than just the hardwood shavings, but it will make up about 1/2 the pile. Thanks for any info!

Comments (24)