SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmcmurray

Marble Install Problems

sarahmcmurray
4 years ago

Hello! I just had marble installed in my kitchen. I did a bunch of research and found an installer with amazing reviews and great images of his work, but now that everything is in, his work seems subpar.

Would love any pro's thoughts on how "bad" this is? My contractor is tremendously unhappy with the work (long story, but I hired this guy, not my contractor) and has offered to have one of his guys do it over at a very reasonable price, but it will mean more money and ripping out what is there.

I've discussed it with the installer and he has reasons each of the issues are right or had to be that way--he won't admit any mistakes. I have not paid him his 2nd 50%, so I have some leverage, and he is willing to "fix" these mistakes, but I'm afraid that the majority of them simply can't be addressed and frankly I'm doubtful of his ability to fix anything given the work in the first place and his insistence this is the best it could be. For full context, he blamed a lot of this on the material I chose, a Bardiglio marble, which he said is softer than normal and hard to work with. There may be some truth to that, but this work still seems bad to me and not what a professional would want to deliver.

Ultimately, if I stand back from the counters, they look fine, but when I get up close, there are lots of small imperfections. I am trying to decide if I should try to let him fix this and live with it or rip it out and do a new install.

Would appreciate any insights.

Here is an outline of some of the problems:

--multiple chips and cracks, some filled, some not

--uneven cuts, so that the marble meets unevenly (for example, on the backsplash behind the sink, on one side it looks great and on the other there is a large seam visible between the backsplash and counter) or the edge of the stone looks rough or the seams are just larger

--the sink he built does not fit the cabinet, he told me to fill the gaps with wood. I have realized now that the cut out in the counter is not centered over the cabinet, so even if this is rebuilt, it can't ever be perfect

--the backplash behind the stove is cut unevenly, so it will look bad once the upper cabinets are installed, you'll see a gap at the bottom where it veers in

--visible seams

--one of the holes for the outlets is too large, can't be covered by regular plate

Best,

Sarah

Comments (16)