SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
womanontheverge_gw

kitchen countertop, marble or quartzite, first world problems

womanontheverge
11 years ago

This is my first time to the Gardenweb well of knowledge since The Big Big Remodel started on May 1. I love love my general contractor, Silverado, Inc., in Salt Lake City, three thumbs up, so I have that going for me. I work more than full-time and am the single parent of four (by choice, not complaining) and I don't have any time to run around and look at stuff, so mostly I just shoot from the hip on finish decisions and order a lot of things on line. My Amazon account is getting a thorough workout.

Now I'm faced with the big countertop investment and need to try harder. The house interior will be transitional, not really modern, but the bathrooms especially are fairly contemporary. I couldn�t enlarge the kitchen, so it is galley style, one slab of stone should cover it all. I want a gray stone, and have narrowed my choice down to the lovely slab of Palisandro Nuvolato marble or Super White quartzite (there were 15 slabs, so I didn�t make them move them, I know one will work).

The stone yard guy says not to worry, a honed finish on the marble will avoid etching problems and reasonable care will avoid stains. My fabricator has Super White in his home with a polished finish and he says he has had no etching problems. Of course, the fabricator wants to avoid any future performance issues and is pushing me toward Silestone, which is lovely, but I want a natural stone in the kitchen (Vitrazzo Cubist recycled glass in master bath and Quartz Reflections Ceasarstone in two smaller bathrooms/laundry room).

The stone yard guy is trying to get me a piece of honed Palisandro from a Sun Valley, Idaho, installation so I can go crazy and try to stain/etch it. I have a little time before it absolutely has to be installed.

My question is: am I crazy to even consider a soft marble in high traffic kitchen? TIA with my first world problems.

Comments (10)