SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dana_kinder68

Family Room Dilemma!

Dana Kinder
4 years ago

Callling on all professionals. Trying to find a rug that looks good with the art over the fireplace. The art still needs to be hung with a sconce on each side. Is this hand knotted wool rug ($2,700) too busy for the room? I plan to replace that brown chair, possibly 2 herringbone wing chair to go in front of the fireplace. I did not plan on replacing the leather sofa at this time but I will if you think I have to :)

I can still return the rug. I appreciate your opinions

Dana

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I love the carpet with the space a very inviting room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Agree! Lose the OTHER heavy pieces! Taupey, or ivory linen sofa, the turquoise in chair accents etc. It cries for a lightening : ) to set off nice art and lovely rug. Glam it up a bit. Keep the great thing going.....even man chairs come in paler leathers : )

Dana Kinder thanked JAN MOYER
  • Related Discussions

Long Family Room Dilemma

Q

Comments (15)
    I would sit in that chair. That would be my reading chair because no one can sit down near me and start talking. They would have to sit on the floor or stand, so they wouldn't bother me and it would be glorious. So I would put a big comfy chair with an ottoman and small side table. If no one in your house will use the chair, don't put a chair there. You could maybe add a table with plants on it below the window. Not a bad place for a nice dog bed if you have a dog.
    ...See More

family room dilemmas

Q

Comments (4)
    I can't seem to associate your room with your drawing.....is your TV on top of your fireplace? I think I would use the couch as a room divider after you have pulled your table more into the corner. Then put your TV on an entertainment console, on the wall where the couch is now and put your loveseat facing the fireplace (if the TV is on it now)...Your chair could go between the fireplace (?) and the TV. It looks like your living room furniture is too crowded close together for an airy look but by adding tropical pillows and throws...some lamps and tables (could be garden stools) you can attain the look you want.
    ...See More

Family Room Dilemma

Q

Comments (7)
    Is there another location for the tv to go. It seems very cramped and jumbled up in that corner. Since the corner is by the fireplace, I would prefer a comfortable chair and an end table with a lamp on it, in that corner, and if there is room, maybe something similar on the other side of the fireplace. If there isnt any room for a chair, I agree, with the idea of a very large plant in that corner.
    ...See More

family room design dilemma

Q

Comments (1)
    Bead boards fine. You can do some molding work on the top half to make it more elegant if you want. And maybe do wider slats.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi. Yes, very nice rug and art! Here is what to do

Remove:

-2 small pieces of art hung staggered.

-plant on table

-large dark table, flowers and mirror

-ottoman

-chaise

Add:

-wing chairs

-tall plant to right of fireplace

-glass coffee table, centered on fireplace

-blue pillows that are not so busy

Dana Kinder thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

PS! Delete your OTHER post!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

PS. Don't junk up the space with clutter. Start with a lightening of upholstery, please. : )

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• AC LB
    4 years ago

I LOVE your rug!!

Dana Kinder thanked AC LB
  • Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I will get rid of that brown chair for sure, replace it with light taupe herringbone wing chairs. Get rid of the brown mirror...etc.

I would love a light linen sofa to replace the leather but i don't have that budgeted for so maybe in a bit..

Is a fiddle fig tree the way to go? I had a faux bamboo tree exactly to the right of the fireplace that I just removed.

Does the ottoman really have to go :( I was planning to place a larger taupe rectangular basket on it and use it for serving.

• Laura Villar
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The coffee table needs to be centered on the fireplace and one with a more open feel, to highlight your rug, is ideal. Your current otttoman does not appear to be wide enough.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Get new chairs etc before getting rid of ottoman. It will probably work well with the new chairs.

Dana Kinder thanked ashtonchic
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

I like the rug but I would get some of it under the sofa legs. Going forward, I would remove the mirror,chest, chair combo and have a cornered banquette in that space. Doesn't have to be a budget buster,creativity counts. http://www.theenglishroom.biz/2012/11/15/cozy-corner-banquette/ 

Dana Kinder thanked hollybar
  • revivalgypsy
    4 years ago

I personally love it with the chair.

Dana Kinder thanked revivalgypsy
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

The rug looks great, and your ottoman is fine. I would simply move the dark console table to the other side of the room, to act as an end table to the sofa. Then you can scoot the brown chair and ottoman back so it's not so cramped. I think the only thing you really need to replace is the leather chair that matches the sofa. A blue one would look nice.

Dana Kinder thanked calidesign
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Love the rug with the art. Remove dark wood cabinet/flowers/mirror. Move leather chair/ottoman back a little. New swivel rocker to replace leather chair near sofa? And then save money to buy new sofa.

Dana Kinder thanked Gcubed
  • Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I'm glad the rug was voted in!! You've all given me amazing ideas and I can't wait!!!

I was also looking to change the current light fixture (dated light/ceiling fan) with a chandelier. My question is: Does it have to have a gold finish to match the sconces and the picture frame? Would bronze, or black work?

I am looking at large scale chandeliers, 36"D or greater. Currently being considered are the following:

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Concentrate on eye level, concentrate on taking the dark pieces to a tone that enhances the art and rug. Don't fritter resources on periphery until you have done that. Doing so , just puts you on hold.........

Your "accent wall" looks too warm and peachy beige with the rug, so I'd paint as the other walls walls. You don't need two case pieces next to one another, The chest now left of the tv console? Out.

In other words, the rug and art together are a sort of "commitment to a palette" IF you want the great result.

Or............................................!!! you deepen the palette with a nod to the art AND those dark pieces. How could you do that? Get a large sisal rug, and THEN lay down a zebra SKIN on top. Add a stone top cocktail table, atop that!

The point here? A weight and palette tweak that makes the SOFA you now have, just fine. .........

AS IS. But the feel of the room will be different : )

What's the long term end feel you want? That's the point, It is ALWAYS the point, in any space , any house, anywhere.

ADD CHAIRS!!!!

COZY UP THAT SOFA!!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi Dana. Could you please that the rug and center it on the fireplace? Then, move the sofa so that the front legs of the sofa sit on the rug. Thanks.

Please move the ottoman and center it on the fireplace.

I cannot see the fan. From what I can see of this room, I don't think a chandelier is appropriate for this space.

You have a lot of photos in your ideabook, but they are all over the board. Please post a photo here of a room that you love. You have some nice elements in the room, but they are clashing. If you are keeping the rug, then you need to make some other changes.

• wickedwhite
    4 years ago

Nice rug!

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good morning,

You got it right, I am all over the place. at this time, it seems like I am designing the room around the art as the focal point! I don't have a particular style in mind, I just wanted it to be pleasing to the eye. This is our family room and with 3 boys, I probably cannot pull off super light colors. Im getting 2 of this wing chair, in a neutral to go in front of the fireplace. I will definitely need a new TV credenza as our TV outgrew the old one. I also plan to replace the sofa in the near future. I don't care for any of the other pieces except the ottoman, which I love, but worst case scenario can move to my bedroom. the only urgent need at this time is the light fixture. Thank you for all your input!

Dana

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

So. I go back to what I said. It's about a feel. That is how you AVOID "all over the place" . Get A PAIR OF standing lamps next to the sofa. You can't light the room well from an overhead in any scenario. And you don't want a "dangler" blocking the art. Until you put the real flavor to the room? I wouldn't try to select that light. You've got room for a generous square cocktail table......

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    4 years ago

I like the rug and I think the room looks nice. I like the brown chair you have by the fireplace.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Before everyone has you running all over the place, post pictures from each side of the room. Also, measure the room and tell us where there are openings, windows and the size of the fireplace. A rough sketch will do.

This will keep everyone from running you ragged.

Now that you have the rug, you can get started placing the furniture. I'm wondering out loud, without measurements, whether the sofa needs to go to the other wall or face the fireplace.? I'm not liking it blocking the window. Once we get the sofa placed, we can work on the other items and your shopping list.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

When you design a room, 99 percent is other than decor. First: find inspiration of a room you like and that works well with your home. Second: create an accurate floor and elevation plan. All other decisions flow from that.

The chairs are nice, but they are going to fade away against a white wall and white mantle. Once you get to that part, if you do want very light chairs, I would paint the fireplace that taupy color that is in the rug. (But again, this is getting ahead of where you should even be now).

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Here is a nice look. I think 2 smaller buffets on either side of the F/P would help anchor that wall and be a backdrop for your new chairs. The ones you show are very nice but may not stand up to children's rough-housing. Can you find something similar that are a little "beefier"?. Then you can move on to TV wall. Per Jan's advice - what feel do you want? I think a look like this would be perfect in your room, especially with the yellow and blue.

Geneseo · More Info

Dana Kinder thanked ashtonchic
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Are you really going to change all the furniture just because the rug on the floor is not the right colors? That rug is too light and too gray for your space that has the teal from the art and the brown and ocher tones from the leather. You can keep your seating if you change out the rug IMO.

I've assembled a few rugs with some additional paint colors to enhance the room.

• mnzinnia
    4 years ago

Wow, Beverly! Great ideas and beautiful choices for an alternate way to go. Dana's been given a lot of good options from you all. Which colorway pulls you, Dana?

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Love that last room you suggested Beverly!

In fact, every area rug you suggested gives the room a different feel.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Did you say 3 boys and family TV room? or the purpose, i love your furniture and Beverly's last room idea with the richly colored rug. The leather you have is great and I can't see cream chairs being durable enough unless they are also leather.

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the amazing input! Beverly, I love what you did!!! A world of possibilities.

I love how the accent taupe wall looks with the art in particular. Do you think that dark taupe color on the walls can tie in-my existing rug? Is there a rule regarding accent walls Vs. a universal color for the whole room? Should I avoid a deep taupe color in a large room with high sealing? I'm just wondering.

I learned a lot from all your remarks, of course I didn't have the right approach because I'm not an expert, and can be a bit obnoxious :)

I like a classic style that is peaceful and timeless. I find the Pottery barn style pleasing to the eye. I would've chosen more neutral colors like my older palette but I'm committed to that piece of art :)) Those decorative pillows Jan posted are lovely, and is that throw (source?).

I will think about the big picture, move few things out as advised and post a sketch with the room dimensions as suggested. But will also try to find a couple other rugs in local stores to try before I make a final decision regarding returning this rug.

Will definitely hold off on the lighting and paint until I have other things figured out.

Thank you!

Dana

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

You have nice rug! I like Bev's ideas , they are good, but rugs. They are all look buzy for me. Keep your rug and play around it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Dana, Are you keeping the current rug even though the blue is off color, leans cool and it's a bit fancy for the current casual selection of furnishings? Why?

The current selections in the room, other than the rug lean warm. Which way are you going?

This is going to be a huge expense if you change out the furnishings and is really so unnecessary. You may not like the rugs I selected, but there are two items I kept in mind as I looked at rugs

• The colors in the art
    • The colors of your current furnishings.

I could have located 20 more rugs that had the right colors.

You have to decide if you want a pulled-together appearance for the room or a room that looks like a bunch of unrelated stuff which was placed in the room.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Almost all of the photos of living room areas in your ideabook are very neutral tones. Can you post a photo of a direction you'd like this room? Thanks!

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dear contributors,

The art is up and the chairs are in!
    I’ve repurposed some throws and pillows from the house to dress up the chairs. My very next step is the coffee table! I like this dark wood, but wondering if it’s too “closed” of a design? I cannot pull off glass in my family room, just not practical enough. Please let me know your thought.
    Thank you,
    Dana

https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/vintage/vintage-inspired-furniture/jane-coffee-table/

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That dark chest have a happy spot in my dining room :-)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Too much wood

Get something with a STONE top, and lighter

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The plant is too close to the wing chair and looks a little awkward on that table.

Do you use those nesting tables? I'd prefer to see tables next to the chairs and sofa

Do you really need both chairs in the front part of the room? I'd remove the one that is not facing the tv.

Yes, coffee table with a stone top

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think you can use a stone top or the wood one you are looking at. The nesting tables should only be used for function, next to your chairs or sofa, not the wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Your floor lamps seems a bit too casual for the new space.

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Still playing with some final touches but this is where I am. I was able to repurpose few items from the house. Thank you all for your expert opinions and suggestions!!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

It's been awhile. Looks better. The cocktail ottoman still feels out of balance. I cannot remember......is there a functional reason it is pulled to the sofa?

• mary44
    4 years ago

Dana your room is beautiful ! If you don't mind me asking where did you get the beige wingback chairs from?

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! The chairs are called Whitney from Bassett. They are a subtle herringbone fabric.

• Dana Kinder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Of course I should’ve centered the Ottoman to the fireplace before taking the picture. We had it set next to the sofa exactly for functional reasons like you guessed :-)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I suggest a much larger ottoman or coffee table for your room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Pull the sofa away from the WINDOW wall by a foot. (Bring one wing down to room entry), and the cocktail will be centered for normal function. Lose the dark chair. Move lamp to other side of fire

Fine one spot to cluster foliage. It's all too small to be alone