Hey Amy, Take a Look...
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Hey guys & gals look at what I just received
Comments (2)Hi gonebananas, I did not order them any special way. They arrived today by postal mail. They where the only things that I ordered. I could not hold out and about 8ish this evening I tried my hand at grafting my first real shot at trying to get the pear tree I want. I will do the others later. I potted it up using potting soil and a compost mixture that I buy in large bags to pot up my young fig trees. I believe it will work for the pear trees a well. I hope I did it correctly. It's on my large southern facing bow window sill upstairs where I can keep an eye on it to see if the buds ever start to swell. I hope your order comes in soon. I must say I am pleased with the look of (rootstock) the small trees. Lou NE., PA...See MoreHey....Pidge,take a bow
Comments (21)Thanks for the generous words, folks, and thanks, Marda, for posting this so I don't have to look like the biggest show-off on the block by doing it myself! Like Lilo, I've loved Allende ever since she arrived on the literary scene with House of the Spirits. She followed on the heels of the all-male literary Latin American Boom" of the 70's=80's. Her early work was published in Spain because she couldn't get a publisher in either Chile (the politics, no surprise) or, I think, Brazil where she lived at the time. One of the best things about her work, at least to me, is her presentation of female sexuality as one that is filled with both passion and humor. She's a "feminist," but she also loves men, if that makes any sense. Her sense that women are treated unjustly in many cases is balanced by the belief that women wield power in subtle ways. She doesn't so much shake the pillars of patriarchy as she uses its own weapons to challenge and undermine it. Very, very cool skill. When she was one of the women chosen to carry the Olympic Flag in the opening ceremonies last time, tears of pleasure came to my eyes. There she was, this tiny woman, walking right behind statuesque Sophia Loren. I forget who the other six women were--some were athletes--because I could not see past Allende. A memorable moment, and probably the only thing I will remember about that particular Olympics. This semester I'll be teaching Daughter of Fortune and The STories of Eva Luna are a mainstay. From the latter, "And of Clay Are We Created" may be one of the best short stories I have ever read. (Sheila, I do my own editing, but I have to say that I did have my daughter read this over and she made one important suggestion that I followed. She made another one that I didn't.)...See MoreHey, it's August already. What looks good/bad in your garden?
Comments (46)Awesome new pics and updates everyone! I'm glad lots of folks got some good, soaking rains too. Last Thursday afternoon I was caught in the heaviest downpour I've ever seen here in over 12 years. Amazing! Tons of rain water in my rain barrel right now, and it only collects from about 20% of the roof surface! Mary, you should definitely get some rain lilies, they're just so easy and they absolutely do not need to be on life support (automatic irrigation)! Just plant them, water them once every ten days or so when they seem active, and forget them. They're great, and so easy! Congrats on your pumpkin bloom, Xica, so nice! Keep us posted! Thanks for the nice comments on my little blog, it's a fun little outlet for me. Oh, you can plant those desert bluebells (Phacelia campanularia) any time, but when I am introducing them into a garden for the first time I wait until November to sprinkle them around the garden. They'll pop up in late winter and bloom in spring. Once you let some go to seed, you'll never need to plant them again, LOL. Awesome pics and plants as always, dlg421! I love your garden! Great that it got a nice rain too. I noticed a few mushrooms popping up in my garden too, LOL. Fun! Okay, it's September now, so I'll see everyone in the September thread! Thanks for sharing your gardens with everyone, it's wonderful to see/hear what's going on in your gardens! Take care and happy gardening, Grant Here is a link that might be useful: Happy September 2012 what looks good/bad in your garden?...See MoreHey, look! It's 1971 ...
Comments (17)Awe, if Lemon Frog wasn't popular, I sure didn't know it! I remember one year I got what I thought were the coolest pair of burgandy coudoroy pants and I was so excited. We had five girls in our brood and except for 1 outfit per school year, our Mother would make most all of our clothes. My oldest sister would make out like a bandit cause she was first in line, but the rest of us had a couple new things in a mix of mostly hamidowns. I used to hate it every year when our Mother would open the trunk to see what she could find. Back then we didn't get that we were on a tight budget, but now...I cherish the memory knowing what they did to support us....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

WALL TREATMENTSSee What Happens When 1 House Takes On 8 Wallpapers
A designer dives into unfamiliar territory for a color- and pattern-loving Chicago homeowner
Full Story
ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: Handsome Take on Shabby Chic in the Bath
A repurposed antique dresser, a claw-foot tub and dark accents add vintage appeal to this updated bath
Full Story
HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH YOUR HOUSEDesign Photography: Hey, Where's the Furniture?
Showing rooms without furniture draws attention to the shapes and materials in a space
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESInterior Design Trends Expected to Take Hold in 2018
Get the lowdown on the colors, materials and other design decisions gaining steam now
Full Story
HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH YOUR HOUSEHow to Take Home Design Photos
Quality images preserve memories, create great design portfolios and help you sell a home. See how to show your place at its best
Full Story
FUN HOUZZTaking Cover in a Former Nuclear Missile Silo
A Cold War relic is now a modern home, thanks to an Australian architect with a flair for the unusual
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFresh Take: 15 New Ways With Western Style
Crisp contrasts and clever interpretations are updating the home-on-the-range style
Full Story
DINING ROOMSInside Houzz: Taking a Dining Space From Plain to Polished
By-the-hour design advice helps a homeowner define a dining area in an open floor plan and give it a decorator look
Full Story
LIFETake Your Coffee Outside! 8 Things to Do This Weekend
Set a backyard goal or two, clear off hallway hooks, file that tax return, then set up a fresh folder for this year
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Stylish Takes on Tartan
Masculine or feminine, bold or subtle, this classic pattern brings a rich look to walls, floors, furniture and accessories
Full Story




RosieOriginal Author