SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk_241011

Michelia Alba ownership thread

Just Started(Sydney)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So I finally got the plant. I had never seen this plant in real life. And though I knew it is a tree, I never could imagine its dimensions. Michelia Figo with its comparatively tiny leaves led my thinking process astray. Michelia Alba has big leaves.

Here is the plant itself. I personally cannot imagine the leaves that big staying upright on the plant. Gave it a good soak of water. Now will withhold watering till I put it in a pot.

It is looking slightly off. The leaves have yellow spots . Maybe the 4 days of darkness it endured during shipping. To be on safe side with respect to bugs, I hosed the undersides of the leaves.

The potting mix it arrived in is very interesting. It is very light and very porous. I will put this plant in 511 mix. And that too on the extra fast drainage side.

Good that I did not buy a pot as of now. I will put it in a bigger pot. Those leaves. I mean this plant is supposed to grow into a big tree.

This is such a tropical plant. One look and you know that this guys grows in the area where there is plenty of sunshine and humidity. A place where plants grow the whole year. And hence feeling a bit guilty to have it here in Sydney. Its scorching summers or freezing winters. And rains. Well we are in midst of a severe drought.

And it will get a pot to grow in. Not sure how well I can manage this beast of a tree in a pot.

Will keep the thread updated.

Comments (77)