Hair dryers

socks

Are the $129 hair dryers really any better than the $29 hair dryers? I have short hair.

SaveComment27Like
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KATHY

I find cheap hair dryers do just as good of a job as expensive ones and last longer. I spent about $300 on a hair dryer once, my hair is thick and at the time, waist length and it was some kind of ion hair dryer, and did dry my hair a little faster, but the dryer died after 2 years. I replaced it with a cheap one. I am just as happy.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
functionthenlook

I have short hair. I find no difference. Even my small travel blow dryer does a good job.

janey_alabama

My hair is short, it dries fast on it's own. I do not use a hair dryer.

Save     Thanked by socks
patriceny

I have frizzy hair, and the ionizing one does help in that regard. Unless your hair is frizzy, I'm not sure that one of the more expensive ones is necessary though.

Bookwoman

I also have frizzy hair, and use an inexpensive ionizing Revlon dryer. My last one cost $19.95. They last about 3-4 years before they die.

kathyg_in_mi

I buy the $10 ones. Like them.

socks

My hair is frizzy around the face and wavy elsewhere. I want it to relax !!

I might try that Revlon one, Bookwoman. If I can find it.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

At the risk of incurring Elmer's wrath... I have a Harry Josh hair dyer. I've been using it since 2014 and it still works great. Best hair dryer I've ever had.

Elmer J Fudd

I'm glad you could recognize that such bragging was inappropriate and didn't really belong in a conversation about $10 and $20 hair dryers but I know, you couldn't help yourself.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

Actually, Fuddy, the discussion is whether expensive hair dryers are really any better than inexpensive hair dryers. I can say, based on my experience with both, that the more expensive hair dryer that I have is, indeed, better.

And didn't you say once that you are quite bald? Therefore, you don't need or use a hair dryer, so why are you butting in on this discussion?

------

Edited to add:

The model that I have (Harry Josh® Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000 [3 piece]) is currently on sale for 20% off. The air speed is 80mph. You can turn the ion setting on or off, depending on what you want. It weighs 1.16 lbs. I think the cord is 9' long.

The newer model (Harry Josh® Pro Tools Ultra Light Pro Dryer [3 piece]) is also on sale for 20% off. The air speed is 94mph, and it also has on/off for the ion setting. It weighs just under 1 lb, and also has a super-long cord.

The Harry Josh hair dryers are consistently on the "best hair dryers" lists.

https://www.glamour.com/gallery/best-hair-dryers

https://www.reviewed.com/home-outdoors/best-right-now/the-best-hair-dryers

https://www.allure.com/gallery/best-hair-dryers

morz8

I do have certain criteria for hairdryers, it's not necessarily that they have to be expensive to work best....

I want lightweight. Equally important, I want quiet. I do not want to be drying my hair feeling like I'm lifting weights and listening to a shrill or loud noise in the bathroom.

I've had Conair that pleased me, and more expensive BaByliss. Both of those however were getting too hot for comfort and taking too long to dry on the cooler settings. The last dryer I bought was in between the two in price and is a Rusk W8less. I'm more than pleased and would replace with same in a heartbeat if something happened to it.

Its supposed to be ceramic infused with tourmaline that emits negative ions. ;0) I have no way of knowing if it does that. I didn't know what a frizz was until about 2 years ago, now if I'm out in damp wind, I'm frizzy. Surprisingly frizzy, when I used to be able to spend all day on the ocean and come home with smooth hair. I suspect the texture may have changed with increasing gray, but I'm not going to stop professional coloring to find out how much just yet.

socks

Lindsey, Elmer—Obviously I should’ve posted this in hot topics!

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

" Actually, Fuddy...., "

Along with curtailing your urge to brag incessantly, I think you can probably also hold back from the juvenile habit of altering in a weak attempt to be derisive or to make fun of a name. Even an obviously fictitious one. Doing this also reflects poorly on you, not on me.

1 Like Save    
share_oh

I buy cheaper ones - they last a few years. I've found the "ionizer" option does absolutely nothing for my hair's frizz. Maybe a more expensive one would? But I hate shelling out money without a guarantee of help!

maifleur01

Earlier this year when I had my hair cut the stylists were talking about dryers. It was one of those mornings where two of the preferred dryers had died. Leaving one to be passed back and forth. Their opinion was that none of them will last very long and the ultra expensive one that had died did not last as long as the cheapie that they were using. These were not young stylists who had not been in the business. The one that was to be picked up just incase the last one died was an cheap one. Here stylists unless the salon insists on a certain type to go with the décor are supplied by the stylist. Most purchase the low to mid range ones based on what I have observed.

A hair dryer for me is such a personal thing like your favorite brush some just work for you.

joyfulguy

Don't feel too self-accusative, please, socks ...

... it is a discussion largely related to the relative merits of hot air, wouldn't ya say?

Oh, sorry - it's more accurately related to hot air *producers*, isn't it?

o j

Lindsey_CA

Ok, Mr. Elmer J. Fudd, from now on you'd better never misspell a poster's name/screen name, and always properly capitalize their name/screen name. You've been guilty of misspellings and lack of capitalization many, many times. (And you were being a fuddy-duddy.)

As for what I have or don't have, or buy or don't buy, as I've previously said, I do not have children (therefore, no grandchildren), so I have no drains on my income. What you are forced to pay out for your children/grandchildren is of no concern of mine, and what I pay out, and for whom it's purchased, should be of no concern of yours. I have no doubt that I am not the wealthiest person on this forum, just as I know I am not the poorest. I have never, and will never, pretend to be something I'm not, just to appease you or anyone else. If someone asks for opinions or recommendations on an item, I will not pretend to have a cheaper version just to avoid hurting someone's feelings. I'm sure the folks here already know that there are people of varying incomes/abilities/experiences, and anyone who gets their feelings hurt because of it really shouldn't be here.

Save    
blfenton

The last hair dryer I bought I paid about $70 for it and it lasted two days before the heating coil went. Since then I've been using my 10 year old cheap travel hair dryer and it's working really well

Air travels at 94mph? - Holy cr@p! You can have your own hurricane in your room.

And pretty sure we all have something that we spend waaay too much money on in someone's estimation.

Elizabeth

I use any dryer that I can set to warm. Hot is just too hot for my baby fine hair and damages it. I prefer a lightweight dryer. I buy them as inexpensively as possible. I have heard claims of superiority from makers of ceramic, ionizing etc. dryers but I think it is just hot air. :-)

socks

blfenton is the only one to appreciate my comment about posting on "hot" topics. Thanks bl.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Isn't there a country song out about being humble and kind? I am not a country music fan but I heard this song recently.

OutsidePlaying

Elizabeth, yes, it’s a song that Tim McGraw recorded several years ago and one I really like.

As for hair dryers, I don’t have personal experience with this one, but a lot of people on a beauty chat group I visit now and then talk highly of Rusk’s W8less hair dryer. I do prefer one that has the ionizing effect on my fine thin hair. And I like having the cool-down button.

Elizabeth

What is the ionizing effect?

Save    
terilyn

I have naturally curly hair, never owned a hair dryer. Due to medical issues and medications my curls turned into a frizzy ugly mess. I had the Brazilian Blowout done and have no frizz straight hair now. I ended up having my hairdresser order the professional Dyson dryer. Love it! I do have to be careful when I turn it on, if it’s pointed toward the counter things get blown away!

bob_cville

I had a cheap one that I bought and used years and years earlier in college. I hadn't used it for many years but when my brother visited and asked if I had one I managed to find it. It had three switches on its handle. On/Off, High Fan/Low Fan, and High Heat/Low Heat. However after years of not being used somehow the function of the switches changed when my brother borrowed it. It had On/Off, High Fan/Also High Fan, and Non-smoking/Smoking. I deemed it was time to discard it and splurge for another $20 one.

DawnInCal

I had a mid-range one that I liked. My favorite feature was that the cord was retractable. One morning when I was getting ready for work, it slipped out of my hands and into the toilet. Thankfully, I had finished drying/styling my hair.

I replaced it with a $20 dryer that is still going strong, but every day I briefly wish that it had a retractable cord. :-)

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bathroom Storage Put the Kibosh on Hair Dryer Chaos
Fed up with knocked-over blowers and tangled cords? Try these tactics for keeping hair dryers and other styling tools under control
Full Story
Bathroom Storage Idea of the Week: Vanity With a Salon Touch
Tired of tossing your hot hair tools underneath your sink? This furniture designer plugs into the perfect solution
Full Story
Your First House These 7 Bathroom Habits Could Save Your Relationship
Kick the ‘ick’ from your bathroom to prevent another argument about mold in the shower and beard hair in the sink
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More
Design Tile Inc., established in 1980, brings more than 30 years of experience and excellence to its showroom in... Read More