SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_506478200

Gardening...White strip in the middle of my cucumbers

HU-506478200
4 years ago

My cucumbers have a white stripe in the middle of them, the smell and taste is different than just bitterness. Some actually have more than one stripe which makes it hard to cut them off cause there's not much left. I'm new at gardening, 2nd year and yes it is a learning process. I have a bad habit of overwatering, I was still watering once or twice a week but wasnt soaking like I should have, more like a drink. I have every garden pest there is I think. More this year than last. I only use diatomaceous earth, soapy water and neem oil. I had bug problems last year but they didn't smell and taste like this. After watering a little at a time for several days in a row as not to overwhelm them I'm still getting this in the new ones. I've picked them small and early morning so they dont have much heat exposure, still no change. I guess I'm wondering could this be a virus caused by the bugs or one of the insecticides? My plants still look healthy, Ive controlled the cucumber beetles and squash bugs but still have a few. I have treated for white flies since the beginning and just recently Amphids. I used the diatomaceous earth last year with no problem this is the first time using neem oil. I'm throwing away the cucumbers cause they really arent fit to eat, the smell even makes me sick. It's not the kind I planted cause I planted different kinds and they were very good until now. They still look like healthy delicious cucumbers.

Comment (1)