SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_mitchell76

Ideas for interior transom on partition wall

Steven Mitchell
4 years ago

I am in a 1958 concrete block building, and I am looking for design/aesthetic/build advise on how to install transom windows between my living room and bed room. The suite is on the ground floor and has two large east facing bay windows; I have direct morning sun. Accordingly, the goal of this project is to allow afternoon sun to transmit to my living room as the sun moves SW.

I've opened the wall in question and posted pictures below.

I am primarily concerned with finding "balance" with respect to window size; although there are 8 stud bays, because one has wire conduit running through it, I cannot divide the space into two or three equal sized openings. In addition, the opening is currently 16" high. I plan on reducing this to an effective opening of 8" or 10". FWIW - The transom above the doorway is 16", and I plan on doing the same to the door in the shadows behind the opening in the 2nd picture.

TL;DR - I am seeking advice on the length/height/orientation and finishing details of transoms installed in this space.

Disclaimer: Suite walls, ceiling and floor are concrete. Interior walls are back-framed partition walls. When the building was condominiumized a structural engineer determined that interior walls are NOT LOAD BEARING. I've already created an opening and shortened some walls in the kitchen, and recently the board has allowed the removal of a wall in another suite.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus