SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbe11

Furniture Layout for a Living Room Converted to a Den/Office

vbe11
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I have gotten amazing floorplan advice on this site in the past, and am excited to hear from Houzz members again on my latest dilemma!

In our new house, we are doing some renovating and re-purposing of rooms. One I am struggling with is the existing "Living Room", which we would like to replace with a single room that serves two new purposes - a tv-watching den and a home office. (We are turning the current "Family Room" into a more formal living room, and placing a new family room on the far side of the kitchen, beyond the view of my attached floorplan.)

The room is quite large, but it has some design attributes that are making it tricky for me to visualize the optimal furniture layout. These challenges include:

1) It has an existing fireplace. a. I don't love TVs above fireplaces. b. Usually people prefer to make a room symmetrical around a centered fireplace, but in order to place two functions in a single room, centering either the desk or the main TV-watching seating on that fireplace seems challenging.

2) The room has a lot of tall windows.

3) The room has an oddly angled door that connects it to the entry.

Furniture preferences:

- A large desk, ideally 70"x30".

- A 60"x16" desk console that ideally sits under the desk (on either side, at a right angle) but can also be separated and placed elsewhere if needed. (See photo attached.)

- A comfortable lounging sofa that easily holds at least 2 people. At a minimum I'd consider a large loveseat, if there is no good way squeeze in a sofa.

- A coffee table for in front of the sofa or loveseat

- A few additional chairs

- A good size TV (any suggestions on the best size for the room would be welcome!)

Other considerations:

- We will already be replacing the flooring all over the house and doing other renovations in numerous rooms around the house. So I'm open to my contractor moving/opening/extending the wall adjacent to the entry, thereby changing the current angled doorway to that room

- I'm also open to moving the doorway of this future office/den to a totally different wall, if that seems necessary.

That's all the info I can think of for now. If you need any information from me at all, please ask!

Comments (12)