SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_ratner

heat pump, radiators, oh my!

J R
4 years ago

I live in NY, outside the city, in a house that was originally built in 1937. The original part of the house has steam radiators. There were 2 additions put on by the prior owners - a kitchen and family room, and a 3rd floor with 2 bedrooms. The kitchen and family room are heated and cooled by a furnace in the basement and a condenser outside. The 3rd floor is heated by a heat pump on a separate condenser and cooled by that same unit.

We are finishing our basement and the steam pipes for the radiators on the 2nd floor (3 bedrooms), are low hanging in the basement. In order to remove them, we need to find new heating solutions:

1. Hydro heat and cool
  2. Keep radiators on the 2nd floor and run cool from boiler in the basement to the 2nd floor. This would mean keeping the steam pipes on the perimeter of the basement, not ideal.
  3. Hybrid system
  4. 3rd floor air handler to heat pump condenser hooked up for 2nd floor.

My major concern is that the heat pump would not produce enough heat for a day below 20 degrees. All of the articles say heat pumps really aren’t meant for NY winters.

But we’ve heard that the cost savings is huge when switching from gas to electric for heat.

Can anyone speak to the effectiveness in heat pumps or any of the above mentioned systems in the N.Y. winters (where January and February are really the only super cold months)??

Comments (20)