SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstinamichelle

What do you expect of a Kitchen Designer?

Tina S
4 years ago

I took the plunge and hired a KD. I had went with one based on some recommendations on these forums and based on what I could afford. My prev designer I was going to go with bailed on me, so didnt leave me much choice.

So what do you expect of your KD? I expected a KD to take the photos and information I presented and in return present me with their idea of how my kitchen should be designed. So the draft is exactly that. Its a design that was different from past designs, but one I definitely dont like. Of course not everyone is going to love their first draft, right?

What is my next step? They sent me the draft and stated that they expect I'd have changes to be made. They sent a form to fill out regarding any revisions that I want made. After I submit this form, I only have one more revision left. So do I just 1) tell them what I want taken out completely, what I want moved elsewhere and let them decide on placement (move microwave to another location) or 2) Tell them exactly what cabinets I want, where I want them and where I want appliances to be located (move microwave and put it on the East end of the Island/What if we put a range on the North wall instead of the East wall)? Ive never done this before and after this I only have one more chance to get it right to where I can place an order. Plus I need pricing before I can proceed and may need something pulled/changed due to price. I feel like I shouldn't be holding their hand, but not sure if this is what you are supposed to do because you want get to a final draft.

I do have a prev post if you want to take a look at some of my own and Ikea's design ideas. The draft design is similar, but the L shape is all boxed in and has no character at all. They put in a tall pantry cabinet where my fridge used to be (I have a large walk in pantry already), put in small upper cabinets near sink (looks weird to me) and moved my fridge to the East wall (not sure how I feel about it there). The huge island for six goes from North to South in front of the East walls. The stovetop/oven/vent hood is on the island. Because my ceiling is vaulted, I can't put in a vent over the island (its about 20 ft or so to the ceiling). Plus after pricing appliances, this way would be more expensive than a range, but a downdraft range could work on the island. It just needs to be turned around.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5757086/kitchen-remodel-design-help#24409040

Thank you!

I had to post this question again btw as Houzz wouldnt let me edit the other saying it could not be found.

Comments (10)