SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener123

Custom Drapery Debacle

gardener123
4 years ago

I recently contracted to have 2-fold tailored-pleat panel draperies made. The panels are 185 wide by 129 long. I specified 10 full widths—2 panels at 5 full widths each. I gave the designer 20 yards of linen fabric and lining.

The drapes were installed while I was away, and after being unhappy with photos the designer sent, I looked at security camera footage. The workroom made 4 panels 2.5 widths instead of 2 five-width panels. 4 panels made into 2 might explain the one bad seam in each panel. They reworked them and reinstalled.

I am not happy. The left panel touches the floor. The right panel alternately touches the floor and is 2" short in some places. The draperies are stained with red (both the white linen fabric and the lining) which she says is a marking pencil, and there are gray spots along the front. They do not close in the center, and 1 seam on each panel is poorly done.

The designer blames the re-use of my old traverse rod for the unevenness of the draperies, and that maybe the floor is uneven. She said she will remove the panels, re-measure, re-sew, use a solution for the stains, and reinstall. But she is recommending a new drapery rod. The current drapery rod worked fine with my old custom silk draperies, and I never had a problem when those were installed.

Questions for the team:

Should I concede and purchase a new rod? If so, I do not want to purchase it from her. How do I know what rod length for a 16' wide sliding door, which carrier style, cord drop, and mounting bracket size?

I assume I need a 2" rod. I'd like a smooth wood rod in a soft metallic silver/champagne.

Does anyone have a vendor/rod co they like?

I really don't want to make a mistake on the rod. Shipping for a 16' rod is as much as the rod itself...

I'm also not thrilled with a smaller window valence, would you fight it too or let it go?

Thanks team!

Comments (14)