SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn327

Spider Plant new growth turns black

lynn327
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello! I'm struggling with two of my spider plants the last several months, and hoping this forum can help.

The issue: The tips of the new growth keeps turning black. It's mostly just the new growth, and the older leaves still appear healthy (except at the base of them they seem purpley, not sure if that's related). Even the new growth in the babies turns black, not just the mama plant.

What I've been trying:

First I tried moving them from 50/50 cactus & perlite soil into 5-1-1 in the early spring. There were no signs of root rot when repotting, and no signs of pests. Initially after repot there was TONS of green new growth (yay), but within a week or two it all turned black (boo). I tried giving it several more weeks to adjust, trimming off all the black in the meantime, with little to no improvement.

A few weeks ago, I began fertilizing with dynagrow 9-3-6, thinking maybe it was a nutrient deficiency. Little to no improvement despite this routine for several weeks.

This week, I decided to drench them with neem oil just to be safe, since I'm running out of ideas.

Other things to note: no signs of pests, no signs of root rot. One plant is about 6 feet from an east window, the other is hanging from the ceiling in a mostly east (and sort of south) window. I usually am watering once a week as long as the soil is dry-ish, and occasionally sooner if the leaves are drooping and it's been super sunny. I water in the sink until run-through, let it sit for several minutes, and water again while it runs through for awhile to try and leech the soil every time. I live in the city and am using city tap water to water.

Any ideas? My only last thought might be that the city tap water has some junk in it that's bad for the plants, as I've heard they can be sensitive. My next step might be trying to water with store-bought water (distilled? or just bottled spring water? any thoughts?).

Thanks for your help! Pics below.

Comments (27)