SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944186815

Who (and how) should install wood on landing at top of stairs?

AJCN
4 years ago

We are about to start a project to convert our stairs to wood, replace railings and ballustrads and install wood on the middle landing and the top landing, then switching to carpet for the gameroom and bedrooms. I'm hiring the carpenter that built my master bathroom cabinets a couple years ago, and I saw a staircase he just re-built for a client a couple of months ago. I had assumed that for the top landing I would need to hire a separate wood floor installer, but the contractor that is building the stairs said that he would do the the top landing. He said he would treat the top landing the same as the middle landing (where the stairs change directions) which would be to connect several of the same wood as the treads together into large sections and then connect them (biscuits?) together to cover the whole floor. He said he'd use glue and screws, fill the screw holes and then the painter will paint and stain.

I don't know a lot about wood flooring installation, but this sounds kind of strange to me. I'm okay with hiring a separate wood floor installer if this description from the carpenter is not correct.

Top of stairs, looking into gameroom (he will treat those 2 steps into gameroom the same as the main stairs):

Comments (8)