SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atozkids76

HELP! How do I fix Stone Veneer panels mistake by Contractor?

atozkids
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our contractor installed Realstones Berkshire Buff estate stone panels on our retaining wall of our pool. His guys only put mortar on the stone side without full coverage and now you can see clear through to the cinder block wall. In some spots you can even see orange spray paint marks that were made on the wall for markings for the waterfall. He told me - "that's the way the stone came, on mesh panels". I just watched the video and it shows the guy putting mortar on the wall and full coverage on the back of the stone panel also. This would have covered the cinder block wall behind the stone and given th appearance of the natural stack stone that we desired.

Anyways - what is the best way to fix it? Have him remove all the stone (probably not salvageable?) and reapply new panels with mortar on the wall and the stone? Or is there another way he can fix it without starting over. (He has been a contractor up until now and in business for 30+ years - I think he is a little behind the times on new products and didn't ask me ahead of time when the product wasn't being installed correctly and there were problems.)

If the only way to fix is to remove and start over- then I will negotiate that with him. He seems to think we need to grout but I don't think that will work and also, maybe it would change the appearance of the stack stone look I was going for?

The photo is a close up of install - showing the orange paint through the crack in the application. The stone is set on a metal mesh backing - panels are 8"x18".

https://www.realstonesystems.com/samples/sample-wsp-bkbes-6x6/

Please help! Thank you!

Comments (5)