SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Fire pit and rain garden landscape and drainage

l pinkmountain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've got a big drainage problem at the back of my house. The two downspouts are draining a lot of water against the house and it is either ponding and creating mud flats, or draining and eroding the soil. My solution to the drainage issues is to do some regrading to make sure the water flows into the swale between my house and my neighbor, and to create a "rain garden" a ways away from the house to absorb some of it. I can't do too much "absorbing" at that spot though, because it will not make the red oak's roots happy. Usually my yard is dry an the soil does a fairly good job of absorbing water under typical conditions but we do get some "outlier" rainstorms as far as severe amounts of rain coming down fast.

My primitive diagram shows in blue how the water has to go. The ornamental pear with the "X" on it is going out soon--too close to the house, ugly and we can't see it from where we sit most of the time anyway. My plan is to regrade the area close to the house and how it slopes to the swale, reroute the side downspout to the backyard (you can't see the downspout but I drew the way the water will run in blue), and then install a small rain garden with an amelanchier tree as the focal point. The problem issue is, I wanted to put in a fire circle for our portable fire pit, but it would have to go right across from the second downspout. I can't move that downspout, no where else to put it. How bad of an idea is it to make a gravel "stream" leading to a gravel "lake" to absorb some of the water and serve as a base for the fire pit at other times? I've tried to show that in this diagram. (Note, lines easier to see when enlarged) The grey zig zag line is where I'm thinking the rocks would go. We have a ton in other places on our property where we don't want them.

This is my inspiration but in my case it the fire pit would sit on the rocks. The hose is right there too for putting out fires.

Comments (5)