SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daltonbengal

Please help with drainage and landscape on affordabl mid century condo

Dalton the Bengal (Zone 6)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are a 1970's condo complex with a tight budget, in a valley in Northeast PA. The current problem - redirect downspout water on the streetside of our building to stop the sidewalk sinking and icing in winter while improving curb appeal.

There are 2 downspouts on the streetside of the building and 2 to the rear (no problem) and the roof is about 2500 sq ft.

Drainage

Our volunteers dug a big flat 6" recessed area, starting 10 ft from the firetower door (brown), 5 ft wide along the building (50 ft), left to right. This week we plan to add river rock and in the spring gravel and plants.

In the spring we plan to grade the next 6 ft x 50 ft area between the current trench and the street slanting towards the trench to accept overflow from spring rains.

I used Penn State extension calculator to determine that this should be sufficient to reduce or eliminate the downspout runoff problem. I checked a few other calculators and this seems reasonable.

Curb Appeal

Paint and/or screen off the gas meters etc.

I cut 4 grossly overgrown 30 year old shrubs, pretty sure yews, down to about a foot. I had been removing branches to allow light to enter for the last 3 years so there are some young branches. Plan to add cool weather annuals in April to improve look, but can remove shrubs.

Add house numbers, the BACK of the building faces the street and the doors are emergency exits. I dont want it to look so inviting that the UPS man leaves packages at the door!

I want to stay in mid-century style and add modern-ish details

All suggestions welcome

Goal: this winter - stop ice patches on sidewalk. Overall - have downspouts drain in a way that is not destructive to landscape and improve curb appeal.

Current. Ditch dug and shrubs chopped

Another view of same. Waiting for rocks.

Here's my plan, above.

Goofy panoramic view of the area before shovels and clippers

I am flexible as to shape, but had to take care of the water problem on the sidewalk before snowfall.

Please HELP! Thank you so much.

Comments (18)