SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_86435563

Removing mineral buildup from marble tile floor in shower

Shaun
4 years ago

The previous owners installed a marble tile floor in the master bathroom shower during a remodel a couple of years ago and we appear to be getting mineral buildup in the center of the tiles that is resistant to all of the neutral stone/marble cleaners that I have used to remove it (even in combination with a nylon bristle drill brush). In a somewhat desperate moment and in a small part of the shower floor, I tried some Barkeeper's Friend with a kitchen scour sponge, followed by careful scraping of any remaining bits with a razor blade. It appears to have been sufficient to remove the buildup, but I can still see a faint ghost (perhaps etching) where the buildup was on the tiles. Has anyone else tried a method like this? I looked up the ingredients of Barkeeper's Friend before using it and it is a mineral abrasive with oxalic acid and citric acid, so it seems to be pretty mild (and oxalic acid is used to polish marble). Is there any reason that I shouldn't move forward with this method for the rest of the marble tile? Also, we are on well water with a water softener. Could this be the result of soft water sitting on the tiles and leeching minerals out to form the buildup?

I would appreciate any insight.

Comments (2)