SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

cost to remove marble and ceramic tile?

loves2read
16 years ago

It is possible to say how much it would cost to take out ceramic and marble tiles laid on concrete slab in general by the area?

I looked at older home from 80s on resale market today and one of the big negatives was the type of original flooring left and not redone prior to putting it on market....they had replaced counter tops in bath and kitchen w/granite --think it was kind of baltic brown and pretty generic but at least it was not absolute black. They had done some painting of walls but none of the woodwork--just a half-ass job...they did the cheap things...all fixtures still looked dated still and so were appliances in kitchen.

They had taken out the wall paper and the kitchen and baths had some some terrazo-type of tiles on backsplash and in shower stall that we can live with (looked like something from Home Depot...but even that made the marble flooring look that much more out of place and dated and marble is not smart choice for wet areas anyway...

Original 9 or 12" ceramic tiles in front entry, 2 other baths, walkways and kitchen/breakfast area---

still vinyl flooring in utility room...

I guess they did just what they could get away with to justify the hefty sale price they are asking...it is a seller's market in my area--at least in this school district--so the house probably won't be on the market long even with as much you need to put into it to bring it up to something nice...

Can anyone give me an idea of what it would be for labor to remove about a 12 x 12 area with 12" marble tiles

and then a larger area w/the ceramic tiles...maybe 300 ft or so...and that is just a guestimate...

how much more would it cost than just removing carpet and laying tile on the concrete slab?

ALSO if I wanted to take out the carpet (on slab) in some rooms bordering on tile walkways and have real wood flooring put in--would it be possible to get a level floor?

Would it be possible to leave the tile down, take up the carpet and add subflooring of different thickness to get level wood floor? I would really like to have wood in both the LAs, dining, master bed, and study...

Will post in remodel formum as well...

DH is out of town and can't see house until Wed probably---would like to have idea of how much it would run

Comment (1)