SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsjnj

Looking for help on negative grade/water issue in yard

G B
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My house is simply too low into the ground. It was built in the 1920s. The yard itself is level, but close to the house I have a negative grade to avoid having to put soil up against the siding. So the water basically pools around the perimeter of the house in heavy rains.

I cannot regrade without making a big pit in the yard, and my neighbors behind me are above me on a hill, so there's just no practical way to fix the grading the traditional way.

I DO get water in the basement but it usually comes from the ground/perimeter and is relatively minor. However, once in a while when we have massive downpour, water will actually pour OVER the sill as a result of this condition. This is very rare and only in extreme circumstances. Pics below of what I mean:

I have had several professionals come by and offer opinions ranging from 'Yea that's bad' to 'I'd sell the house'

Selling the house is not an option. I have a couple thoughts:

1-Dig out the soil a couple feet away from the foundation, place cloth, perforated pipe, clean stone along the foundation to carry the water away to daylight in the front. This will not correct the grade, but will hopefully carry the water away instead of pouring over the sill.

2-Build a retaining wall ~3 feet away from the back of the house, and created a proper grade between the house and the new retaining wall, with perforated pipe buried at the base of the wall. This is the more invasive and expensive option.

I am open to any other ideas. I appreciate any input.

Comments (28)