SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bleusblue2

hereditary lymphedema

bleusblue2
4 years ago

Do you know anyone with this condition? My neighbour has it. There doesn't seem to be a lot to do for it and I'd like to see if I can learn something that will help her. It's pretty advanced. -- I think basically the lymph glands are nonexistent or inactive.

Comments (12)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Edema is the medical word for swelling

bleusblue2 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

Any assistance that you can give will depend on what she needs. Do a search for the health problem and you will find it affects people differently with different body parts swelling. While not the same women who have had radical mastectomies can have a type. If you know of someone that has had that type of surgery that you can ask questions of it might give you some ideas of how to help. Right now simply ask if there is something you can do for her let her direct you. It may be as the fluid accumulates any care may be beyond your capacity to handle.

bleusblue2 thanked maifleur01
  • amicus
    4 years ago

This is a link that may be of some help for more information about lymphedema.

https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/managing-side-effects/lymphedema/?region=on

bleusblue2 thanked amicus
  • terilyn
    4 years ago

Her doctor could prescribe lymphatic massage, done by a licensed masseuse. Insurance should cover it. They also will do lymphatic wraps.

bleusblue2 thanked terilyn
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

jemdandy excellent on your wife being declared free. Could you also comment on any sleeve that she may have worn. Although blues neighbor may not need it the information could be handy for others if they have to assist putting one on or off. Not all radical patients need a sleeve so your wife may not have used one.

Sleeves are used for other conditions besides breast cancer including extreme burns.

• bleusblue2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everybody for these thoughtful suggestions. I'm going to pass this on to my friend. Her mother had this condition and now Dora. Her most serious problem is her legs and, now, her skin. She tries to keep them elevated. I'm not sure if she can afford any of the suggested therapies, but having a caregiver learn the massage technique sounds like a must.

• nannygoat18
    4 years ago

Suggest checking out a pneumatic compression device, aka lymphedema pump. They are covered by most insurance plans, including Medicare.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I believe the OP and her neighbor live in Canada.

• lovemrmewey
    4 years ago

My friend had lymphedema massage, I saw it done when she had the beginning session in hospital. Her husband was instructed and shown how to do it when she was sent home. Surprising how simple it is and my friend always urinated copiously after treatments.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

I do not recall if my wife wore a compression sleeve. I think not since her doctor avoided compromising circulation. Your neighbor's condition, lymphedema, has a root cause different to surgical removal of lymph nodes. She may need a massage at least once a day for along period.

As to the swelling of her legs, elevating the legs is a good move, but a better strategy while one is awake may be is moving about to encourage circulation in the legs. Start by taking walks. Sitting for prolonged periods with pressure on the back of the legs is bad. If she sits before a computer screen for long sessions, break up the leg position every 15 to 30 minutes or when swelling starts. Stand up. Stretch the legs. Tense the large leg muscles. Bend over at the hips and stretch back side of the legs and lower back. Do motions that increases circulation in the legs.

One of the worst things to do is fall asleep while sitting in a chair. That is very easy to do in an easy-chair. The sleeper may remain in one position for a long time without moving. The legs are hanging down and there is pressure on the backside of the legs. The lower leg will swell and the foot may increase by one shoe size. Circulation in the legs is poor. This should be avoided.

If you think you may take a nap, elevate the legs and place your body in a prone to near prone position.

If her budget will permit, she could try a hospital style bed that has an adjustable massage feature. I did not know these existed until I had to spend a day on one. Ten years ago, I had a stent placed in a heart artery. This was done by entering a large artery in my groin. The procedure was done in a few minutes, but afterward, I had to lay on my back for 8 hours to give the artery time to seal. I was not permitted to roll onto my side, and for me, laying on my back for 8 hours was misery. I am a side sleeper and I change sleeping positions several times. As I lay there, I noticed a small wave in the mattress that traveled slowly up and down. I said, wow, and the nurse smiled as she made a final adjustment to the bed's control. That low level massage made the 8 hours bearable! Possibly, she could try this out by renting such a bed from Sick Room Services.

• User
    4 years ago

I had a neighbor with an adult son that had severe edema of the legs. He spent large amounts of time in a chair using an elevated leg massage machine. Wish I could remember more details but that was over ten years ago.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022