SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrv2006

New kitchen layout and appliances location

mrv2006
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Houzz,

So after more than a year of working on the blueprints we're finally moving forward with our home construction! While the foundations and main structure are being built, I'm going back to the kitchen design and layout and came back here for your opinion on a few topics.

1) The kitchen is going to be the center of the house, we love cooking and hosting parties so it has to be welcoming and big. What do you think about the measurements (general size, island, walkway, countertops, etc).

2) I'm planning on getting two built in ovens and a built in microwave oven. I'm not so sure about the placements though. I think that the location on the blueprints are not going to be the most comfortable. Is there a standard regarding built in oven and microwave oven heights?

3) As you can see, most of the storage is going to be in drawers. Is there a standard size for drawers to hold cutlery, plates, glasses, pans, pots, etc?

4) As you can see, I'm having two pull out trash cans. One on the back wall next to the sink and dishwasher, and one in the island. The idea is to use the one near the dishwasher for food leftovers, and some recycling, while using the one in the island for all trash regarding food preparation (some will be compostable some might not). Each pull out trashcan will probably have two compartments for trash separation. Do you think having two pull out trashcans is overkill?

Bear in mind that all measurements are in inches. However, they were converted from centimeters, so there might be some inconsistencies when adding up the partial measurements and compare them to the total measurements due to rounding up. However, this is negligible.

I'm also attaching a render provided by the architect. As you can see the location of the ovens are not the same as in the blueprints. She said we could modify location of the ovens when getting closer to building the cabinets.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)