SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonalitheisen

Installed HVAC dilemma

DR4
4 years ago

I’m hoping this board can help me with some much-needed advice. We had a 2 ton Aerosys condenser installed in Mar 2019 during our reno, to only cool our apt. It initially did not cool well in the first hot week in May, and the contractor said he needed to top it up with Freon bc it came with a “factory charge”. It then worked correctly until late June.

In late June, we noticed our floors and wall were water damaged beneath the window where the condenser was placed. We also noticed then that the unit had stopped cooling well. They came back and determined that the unit was never insulated properly and rainwater had leaked through the opening. When the pulled the unit out, there was tons of water beneath it and there was in fact lots of open space around the cage which they filled. The back of the unit was also quite dirty and an air filter was clogged. They fixed all of this and said the unit would work fine, but it still did not. It was high 80s and the unit would no longer cool below 75-76 for the next 48 hrs.

The HVAC guy came back and made some more adjustments (including upping the fan blower to 100%), but for about 72 hrs the unit behaved the same. At this point, I insisted to the installer and our contractor that they replace the condenser if they couldn’t find the issue, and they agreed to do so while it’s still under warranty. The exact unit they installed is discontinued, but they are installing an identical sized National Comfort model. We have asked multiple times about a Freon leak and have been told repeatedly that it’s not the case. The HVAC person said the only way to prove it is a 48 nitrogen test which takes the unit offline from cooling, which we didn’t do since it’s hot and we would not be able to sleep.

In the meanwhile in the last 72 hrs, without anything further having been done to the system in 7 days, the unit seems to be working better. (hard to say if 100% like before bc it has been so hot.). We have no idea why this would be or if the problem is somehow now gone. We are also now stressing over whether something is causing the unit to behave erratically beyond the condenser.

My question for the HVAC experts on this board...should we go ahead with the condenser replacement, or is that asking for the potential for more issues since it’s a different unit? We think we should replace, but are just worrying about anything else getting messed up (including the finishes on our now set-up apt for that matter.) Ideally we would wait a few more weeks to continue to monitor the system, but if we don’t replace now and the unit acts up again later this summer we fear they will not replace it—it’s been a stressful renovation with lots of issues.

Thank you so much if you have any words of wisdom!

Comments (15)