SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orangemouse

Choosing Appropriate Bathroom Fan CFM

orangemouse
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m having trouble choosing the CFM for a new bathroom fan. I want to balance humidity management with NOT disrupting the temperature of the air (when using hvac heating/ac).

The bathroom (with sink, toilet and shower) is a small one connected to a small second bedroom.

At its widest point it measures 7x7 (49 sq feet), but the actual floor space is smaller as the bathroom is L shaped because the bedroom’s closet intrudes on it, making the actual floor space only around 42sq ft. Bedroom is similarly small, only 12x12.

The shower gets frequent use (1-2x/day) and there is sometimes more condensation on the walls than I would like.

I read that a fan that is too powerful might blow ac’d air out of the house, making the room warmer in the summer—undesirable. But a fan that is too weak might encourage mold growth.

Is an 80CFM desirable or too strong for this application? (Some convenient local buys are 80). Should I look for 70 or even 50 instead? Conversely, the local electrical guy encouraged me to get 100! Is that far too strong?

Please help me get a sense of what these abstract numbers actually mean!

Comments (6)