SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Your work profession: what do/or did you?

glenda_al
4 years ago

Being as we are such a diversified group, think it will be interesting to see what we all about.

Me, retired teacher. Taught for 30 1/2 years. Graduated with a home ec degree, might not be called that now. Blessed raising a young son, and able to spend much time needed with him.

Next!

Comments (78)

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Spreadsheet Queen, for the federal government. I mostly dealt with dollars and work hours. My first mentor (30+ years ago) got me started transcribing a huge array of columns of numbers that didn't mean anything to me. But I knew that accuracy could be confirmed by adding the columns up-and-down then across at the bottom line for a 'grand total', then adding the rows across then up-and-down for a second 'grand total', which would match the first 'grand total' to the penny if you did it right. So early on I learned not to be intimidated by large arrays of numbers -- just give me a pencil, a hand calculator, and an eraser. Over the course of my career I learned about the "why" of the numbers: what were you trying to find out, how to select which data to capture, and of course how to exploit newer, more powerful automated tools to gather and portray information. I enjoyed being part of many teams over the years, especially when I was able to act as the link between upper management and the supervisor/worker level. I've always had a great respect for the folks at the bottom of an organizational chart, where the rubber meets the road. It meant a lot to me to use the numbers to help figure out their story, and tell it accurately.

glenda_al thanked nickel_kg
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

I graduated with a degree in business administration and served as assistant to the president of a public community college for 30+ years. My job duties included short periods in the HR and PR fields but most of my time was spent in paralegal-type responsibilities.

I have been semi-retired for 4 years but continue to work at the same college with similar duties.

glenda_al thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Related Discussions

What are you doing (or did you do) for HVAC in your build?

Q

Comments (14)
    We built in MN and moved in about 1 1/2 years ago. Two story plus full basement walkout. We have 2 Econar geothermal units, one hydronic and one forced air with 8 - 1,000 ft horizonal loops. The hydronic pumps water for the radiant floors in the garage slab, basement slab, upstairs bath, master bath, 1/2 bath and mudroom. The forced air unit is for all other areas and provides A/C in summer. Our insulation is closed cell spray foam and it's awesome. I wanted to wait to see how the humidity was in winter and it was around 25%, which is too low. So I'm looking at adding a Honeywell Truesteam humidifier that will add water directly into the ducts and is controlled automatically by the thermostat with an outdoor sensor. I did all the underside-of-the-floor mounted radiant pex tubing (and accompanying insulation) myself as well as the floor insulation under the slabs. It's critical that you have a thermal break between the concrete and the ground. I used 2" XPS (rigid pink foam board insulation) on the ground and taped all joints. I also used a reflective bubble-wrap type insulation around the perimeter walls and interior footings. No concrete touches the ground at all. You mentioned carpet in the basement. As long as your installer knows what flooring you're installing, he can change how close together he puts the pex tubing loops. For carpet the loops will be closer together to create more heat. Geothermal is very quiet. The fan is on all the time so it doesn't come on like a jet engine and shut off all the time like propane or natural gas. Quiet, steady heat. In the summer there is no condenser outside and thus it's silent. Love it.
    ...See More

What did you do with your wedding ring after you got divorced?

Q

Comments (17)
    My ex wore his ring to work one day- a no no for plumbers- and he thinks it fell down the drain in the back of Safeway. Whatever. I gave my band that matched his to my bro. They disliked each other so bro and I thought it would be funny. Bro used it to go to bars in San Fran. He would use it if creepy guys tried to hit on him. He lost it after putting it in the pocket of his Member's Only coat. Yes it was 1986. I kept the engagement ring and took the 1/4 stone out and some emeralds from an antique ring I purchased while married and on my 21st birthday made myself a ring to celebrate my divorce. I still wear it and my dh of 20 years does not care. I still have the setting and was told it would be worth not a lot because it was a mix of white and yellow gold. My husband was married before also. His ring cracked just after he learned she was having an affair with one of his old friends from school. We still have it. I could probably take the two, along with my gold crown I had removed and make at least a few dollars, ya think? I did keep one item and still have it. For our first anniversary I went to an antique store and purchased an Elgin 5 ruby pocketwatch guts and had it set into a gold case. It was really cool. I had engraved "for all of time" on the back. He never really appreciated it or me so I kept it when I left him. He understood. I paid $50 and had to save every dime to buy it. He gave me a little heart ring with a chip in it. I still have it too. Thought of giving it to my dd but I think I would rather sell it and buy her something else. I took watch to an appraisal show in town a few years ago. They told me it was worth about $300 and that they would buy it but really suggested I hang onto it as it would appreciate a lot. Even if I sold the case separate from the guts, the guts were pretty unique. They said it was still valuable even with the engraving. I still have it and will probably get around to selling it. Should take it in again just to see. There are not a lot of master watchmakers around these days but there are a few in town that are reputable.
    ...See More

What Did You or Do You Call Your Parents?

Q

Comments (49)
    Mom and dad, but when mom is not paying attention she gets maaaaaw! She doesn't care for it. I tell her she needs to listen when I call her mom, she doesn't so I keep with the name . They are grandma, and papa to their grands. My BIL's father was already called papa so this is what my dad went with too. My grandparents were grandma, and grandpa. Friends grandparents were Ooma, Nan, Gram. My parents used their in-laws first names, BIL at the start used mom and dad but it sounded so awkward that he gave up and uses their first names now. I think my mom would be hurt if her kids called anyone else mom. After all she put in the work she earned the title mom.
    ...See More

What did you do with your *stuff* during your kitchen remodel?

Q

Comments (17)
    I am just finishing a four month reno that affected nearly my whole first floor (and half the second) and left me with no kitchen or eating area the whole time. I have a fridge in the garage but the fridge portion was no good to me bc it’s winter and everything froze in there. I set up one end of my living room with a long folding table. I had some very lightweight thin sheets of wood cut to fit it at Home Depot and laid that down for heat protection, then put a table cloth over it that hung down to the floor. I put a dorm fridge at one end of the table, and on the table I put a toaster, microwave, and toaster oven. At the other end was the trash and recycling bins. I kept one plate, one cup, one bowl, two knives, two spoons, and two forks in the house, along with salt and pepper, a spatula, some tongs, and several disposable food storage containers that could either store leftovers or act as additional bowls if needed. All of it went in a basket under the folding table, behind the tablecloth, which gave me some sense of neatness and order. Another basket under the table held food basics - bread, pb&j, cereal. Almost every single other thing in my kitchen was packed up and put into storage. I cooked tons of stuff ahead of time and froze them in individual serving sizes and put them in the garage freezer. My best advice is to get the stuff you will not need out of your house. ALL of it - put it in storage. I put a lot in storage, but there were some misc hard to pack things (like bottles of liquor, and a large wall mirror, and a clock) that I decided I could just stick in my living room or office. I also didn’t want to put any sort of pantry food in a storage facility so anything I hadn’t used up before the reno I put in boxes and set it in other rooms. I regretted these decisions big time. I’ve spent four months tripping over that stuff or shuffling it from place to place - I should have just found a way to pack it and store the possessions and given the food to a food bank. It seems like every available surface had stuff piled on it that I should have stored. I hated that way more than not having a kitchen. And remove any excess stuff from the room you’ll be living in - pare it down to only what you need. Otherwise it will just feel cramped and overwhelming. I just found it’s super important to create some order and visual calmness in the spaces you are living in. Other advice - take everything off the walls, even in rooms adjoining the work area, otherwise it may fall during work that vibrates. Buy extra filters for your HVAC and change them frequently during the work. And absolutely do not use your garage as storage for what is normally in your house. The very best advice I saw on Houzz before my remodel was to ruthlessly purge and organize my garage ahead of time. I did it, and thank goodness I did - both the house and garage would have been sheer chaos if I hadn’t, because the garage was used to stage materials and set up saws and other tools. Even though I had completely cleared both bays, this stuff completely filled the garage at times, leaving only a narrow aisle up the middle, so thank god I didn’t try to also use it to store stuff from the house. One of the big surprises to me was the amount of money it costs to deal with the reno but is not being paid to the contractor or designer. Examples include: movers to move things in and out of storage, storage fees, post-reno deep cleaning, post-reno duct cleaning, area rug and carpet cleaning, service charges from my home security company to come and put sensors on my new windows, appliance delivery and installation fees, packing supplies, etc. It adds up. BUT it will all be worth it!! Good luck!
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

rob, I don't "pick fights". I mentioned what had been my experience with the terms where I was. I think I first heard "bleeding edge" maybe 25 years ago and it was an evolution of the first term in the playful, irreverent "let's be impolite and shocking but who gives a F" attitude that applies to other hyperbole in Silicon Valley, as I thought I'd said clearly.

• provogal
    4 years ago

I worked the typical jobs putting myself through university - waitressing, office temp and as a summer student for Imperial Oil while in university. In university I studied Russian Studies heavy on history, political science, language and literature. We studied international history and politics too. Rather than writing the foreign service exams I got engaged and enrolled in Teacher’s College and graduated with certificates in history and elementary education. I ended up teaching elementary school until I had my first child. I stayed home and started working on my Masters in Education. My husband worked as a stockbroker so I could “retire”. My second child was born developmentally disabled so I became a volunteer for Community Living and Autism Ontario chairing their Education committees. While with Autism Ontario, my committee wrote the first book on Navigating the Special Education System in Ontario for Parents of Children with Autism/PDD in 1993. I also sat on our School Board’s Special Education Committee for 18 years. When my second child was finishing special needs high school a group of like minded parents and I started an group to advocate for young adults with developmental disabilities. We were able to start the first day program for this population in our city since at the time there was nothing available after graduation. Now there are many such programs. Now our focus is on respite and residential services since our members with adult children are aging and worried about the future. Our organization works with all levels of government. My son passed away ten years ago but I am still involved with this organization. I have scaled back my involvement but still write a newsletter for our members.

glenda_al thanked provogal
  • bpath
    4 years ago

I had a short career in the hospitality industry, then after my master's in ESL with a minor in technical writing, I was a technical writer. It's what I was born to do lol. All the way through school, I'd rather write a paper than take a test. I knew I wanted to write, but I'm very shy and didn't want to write fiction or be a reporter, and that was the only kind of job I thought writers did. I was so happy to discover technical writing as a career. I first learned about it when a Jeopardy! contestant described her job in that field.

Funny thing is, all the other part-time, short-term jobs I had taught me things I carried with me into technical writing. I spent college summers working in a theme park, part-time in college in movie theater, the university library, and in hotels, then as a secretary in the travel industry with an evening/weekend job as a pharmacy tech, then continued working in the hotel industry alternating full and part time while in grad school. I learned a lot about delivering good customer service (hot theme park guests who are too late for the last show are not happy campers), the importance of accuracy (as a pharmacy tech, you betcha! also, I learned to verify information: in the days before networked medical records, the pharmacist would often ask a customer "does your doctor know you are also taking thus-and-so Rx? No? Let me just give her a call, sometimes it can interact with this other drug you take." Wow, what a concept!)

After my son was born, the company I was working for was moving, and I took the opportunity to "voluntarily separate" with some benefits, and became a stay-at-home parent. When both kids were in school, I was a one-on-one companion to children with special needs, who were participating in mainstream parks and rec programs. That was a great job for part-time. Lots of customer service-type work!

glenda_al thanked bpath
  • chisue
    4 years ago

Another 'kept woman' here. I left college (Journalism major) after my sophomore year when my father's business tanked. My mother was already sole support of me and of her mother. I got a job as girl of all work at my hometown weekly newspaper -- did everything from covering and writing stories, doing page layout, sizing and writing cut lines and heads, proofreading, taking classified ads, doing billing, answering the phone, etc. (When I quit, they hired three people.) I lived at home, saved. Before enrolling again, I decided to take a night course in PR, where I met my DH. I was married at 23 and left work after a year to try *harder* to have a baby. A clumsy Gyn. made sure that would never happen, removing one ovary and part of the other -- in search of what turned out to be a chocolate cyst. (Big Nothing but there was no 'in vitro' then, so no babies for me. We were eventually able to adopt our son.)

I've volunteered in our hospital's Emergency; served four years on the board of our community Visiting Nurse Assoc. (pres. one year and managed a merger); co-led a search and support group for adoptees and birth parents for 12 years and organized events to promote adoptees' rights; was active in our son's schools. It was an era of SAHMoms whose 'volunteering' is now paid work for other women. No complaints, but I wasn't just twiddling my manicured thumbs either -- as some have assumed. As an only child married to one, I was the sole back-up for my mother and my MIL in their declining years. (DM's leukemia; MIL's RH.) I've managed rentals for our Maui condo since we bought it in 2001. Other than that...NOW I just twiddle my thumbs! lol

glenda_al thanked chisue
  • stacey_mb
    4 years ago

I left school after 10th grade because of a lack of resources and remote location of our family. At the age of 16, I moved to the city and worked in a factory but realized this wasn't positive for long term so I enrolled in a clerical course. I worked part-time after I was married and had a son, and at this job was where I met a young woman who had such an impact on my future. She encouraged me to attend university which I thought was a hugely extravagant and unrealistic idea. I thought that university students were brilliant, which I most certainly was not. However, a university offered courses geared to part-time students so I thought I surely could memorize enough dates to pass a history course. I loved attending university but quit after a couple of years, reasoning that it would never get me any sort of career. I got a job as a legal assistant and was so unhappy being away from an academic environment that I announced to DH one day that I was quitting my job and going back to school. After being back at my studies, I was extremely thrilled to be recommended for an Honours program. I ended with a Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) degree from the University of Winnipeg, then left home (temporarily) to attend the University of British Columbia and obtained a Master's Degree in Library Science. I worked in libraries for several years and retired from working at our main provincial government library.

glenda_al thanked stacey_mb
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Goodness! At age 75+, it's a LONG list! First job was working for the State of KS as a file clerk, the summer after graduating from HS. It's the only job where I ever experienced sexual harassment - a huge fat, bald man who smoked heinous cigars was very "handsy". One quickly learned to keep the desk between him and oneself or one found herself being pulled onto his lap and fondled a bit. No one ever complained - just warned others. It was 1961.

Next job was after I quit college. I had no idea what I wanted to do, had changed my major 3 times and was clueless. I got a job at Saks Fifth Ave in St Louis in the Junior's dept. It was when Saks was still on Maryland Plaza, was small and there were lots of interesting shops on that street. While working there, I applied to Tobe-Coburn School for Fashion Careers in NYC and was accepted.

While at Tobe-Coburn, we had two work periods. During the first (right before Thanksgiving to Dec 23), I was a "Green Pen" at Bloomingdale's in the ladies robe dept. Only a "Green Pen" could authorize a check or do a return. I also did the scheduling of the sales staff. I swear, every woman in NYC bought at least 3 robes and returned them during this time!. I got to know Bloomingdale's very well and it was a very special place at that time. Since I was living (required) at the Barbizon Hotel for Women at the time, my "commute" was easy- about 3 blocks! My spring work period was spent working for a small fashion consulting firm. They sent a weekly newsletter to buyers in small stores across the country, telling them what was hot on Seventh Ave. I spent a lot of time on Seventh Ave on shopping/research assignments!

I chose not to stay in NYC as it was too costly. Went back and lived at home in St Louis and was an Executive Trainee at Famous Barr (a May Co dept store, decades later bought out by Macy's). I was a trainee doing a variety of jobs for about 5 months and then was placed as an Ass't Buyer in the Misses Budget Dress dept. It was not what I was hoping for! It was a pretty boring job and I quickly realized that I hated the working hours of retailing. I worked there for a year until I got married.

When we returned from our honeymoon, we moved to Washington DC where husband was stationed at the old "Tempos" in SW Washington. He was in the Army Intelligence Corps. My first job came as we were looking for an apt to rent. There was a new co-op huge complex called Harbour Square and I loved the apt. It was a bit above our budget but then the rental guy offered me a job renting apt's in the complex (many bought these as investments and rented them out). Now we could afford it! It was a horrible commute - 2 floors down on the elevator, directly under our own apt! I was so good at it that I rented out all the apartments and out of a job in about 9 months! It was an interesting job as I got to see all the apts (many different sizes/floorplans), and VP Hubert Humphrey bought one of the penthouses to live in during that time. At that time, the VP had to find his own housing. I was the liaison between the Secret Service and the contractors hired for some remodeling and work the SS wanted done. Met lots of interesting people.

When that job ended, I took the Civil Service test to be a clerk/typist and got a GS3 job in the library at the National War College 2 blocks down the street. They provided a car/driver to meet us at the gate in the morning and drive us the length of that LONG parade field, and back to the gate at quitting time. It was an interesting time to be working there as this was during the riots after Martin Luther King's assassination, and the GHQ was at Ft McNair at the War College. We were well protected at Harbour Sqr by Marine guards with fixed bayonets due to the VP living there! While working there, Eisenhower and Omar Bradley came to speak and we all got to watch them arrive from the balcony in the rotunda. It was a McKim, Meade & White building and very beautiful, and seeing these icons of WWII was a true thrill. Ft McNair was where all the "hail and farewell" parades were held, so we saw many of the Vietnam War General's parades (great, free entertainment - love that Fife & Drum Corps!). I managed to add duties to my job and ended up a GS5 when I left 2 years later when my husband finished his 3 year enlistment.

We returned to St Louis and I didn't work and then had two babies. I did tons of church work and volunteer work through the Junior League. I was divorced when they were 3 and 5 and needed some form of employment that did not involve costly childcare. I ended up babysitting for friends when they went away for winter vacations without their children. My two and I moved into their homes and I got paid for doing what I was already doing everyday. It was winter and I just turned down the thermostat at home (cats didn't care and they stayed in my house, with me coming twice daily to see/feed them). When I got a dog, it came along. I was very popular and it was a huge help financially. It quickly grew into a year-round job but I could choose when to take it or leave it. I remarried and we continued doing this occasionally, as a couple, for 3 years until we moved to LA.

While in LA, I got my first re-sale tax number and accounts at the LA Design Center. Friends had been asking for my decorating advice/help for years, and now I had access to to-the-trade-only products. I spent weeks going through all the showrooms and learning what they each had. it was invaluable. My two best friends were just starting their own careers in interior design and we fed off one another. One went on to become quite famous - 2 books, a shop, her own line for Lee Jofa; the other later worked as a showroom manager and ass't to a famous designer and then went on her own before retiring a couple of years later.

I stayed home for 2 years and then got a part-time job when a Laura Ashley store opened in my town. I quickly became their "home furnishing expert" and worked there for 5 yrs. I won nearly all the national sales contests they had during this time! After I left there, I continued as a free-lance designer for many years. I'm now retired - don't even work for family anymore.

glenda_al thanked Anglophilia
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

I was a wife/housewife for 38 years, then worked at HomeDepot for 2 years and finally for three years in a school kitchen.

glenda_al thanked OklaMoni
  • Louiseab
    4 years ago

I worked for a while as a rcepttionist at a construction company. Then worked as a dental assistant for a couple of years. After that I got a really cool job as a science lab technician in a high school. That meant getting the science experiments ready for the students. Making chemical solutions and setting up equipment and such. That was a great job when I had kids. Summers off, school holidays off and short days.

glenda_al thanked Louiseab
  • abbisgram
    4 years ago

Very interesting topic, I've enjoyed reading.

I went to work in a panty hose factory while still in school. Worked there 6 months then went to work at a company that manufactures IV bags. Stayed there 38 years during which time I moved thru several different positions. The last one was the hardest and most stressful. After being out for 6 months undergoing cancer treatment, I went back to work for 6 months and decided I was done with it all. Been retired 2&1/2 years, loving every minute.

glenda_al thanked abbisgram
  • wanda_va
    4 years ago

I graduated from high school. Went into the federal government, starting in the secretarial pool. I worked hard, learned everything I could about the operations, and made myself indispensable. I worked my way up to senior-level management. I was Executive Officer of the Medicare program, then Personnel Officer for the Public Health Service.

I had a great career, and loved my job (although I became a workaholic). My husband and I took early retirement in January 1994--I was 46 and he was 52. We have never regretted leaving early, and don't miss our 80-hour work weeks.

glenda_al thanked wanda_va
  • kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

Not the only job I ever had but certainly the most fun!

I co-managed (with a friend) for 11 years a pop up Halloween shop. It was so much fun! We had fart spray, fart perfume, shock lighters and all kinds of costumes and accessories. One Saturday night I had just one employee working with me. A young man came in wearing a hockey jersey, he walked up to me and I knew what he wanted (he had been in the store the week before). So I told him to "assume the position". My employee almost choked when he laid down on the floor! He wanted me to put on (latex) scars and blood on his face like he had been in a fight at the rink! He was headed to a party again and it went over really well the weekend before!

There are so many stories like that. Just a blast every day.

It took us 2 weeks to set up, we were open 6 weeks and it took one day to pack it all up! In 6 weeks we took in $150,00.00. I sure miss that job!

• peacockbleau
    4 years ago

RN. Worked over 20 years at last hospital of employment where I drove 50 miles a day round trip. Favorite job in my life is being mother and grandmother. soxxxx

glenda_al thanked peacockbleau
  • provogal
    4 years ago

What a wonderful topic! It just illustrates to me how resourceful, talented and determined we all are. Despite setbacks, challenges and difficult circumstances, we are all successful human beings who should be proud of ourselves and what we have contributed to our families, our communities, and the world. Good on us!

glenda_al thanked provogal
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When I retired age 54, I did volunteer work. Local hospital delivering complimentary birth certificates. travel agent as a courier for airline tickets, local zoo as a volunteer in their educational dept,,then decided to take care of myself and got involved, 23 years ago, in water aerobics.

• User
    4 years ago

Louise, I did the same thing for high school science classes when I was a student, we had about 6 - 8 science teachers but I mainly assisted for the Anatomy & Physiology courses. I enjoyed it so much that I chose to go into a health profession.

glenda_al thanked User
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

I was a high school English and public speaking teacher for 6 years. We started our family that point and, I wanted to be a stay at home mom. Eons later, I served on my school board, and the kids were in high school and college by then.

glenda_al thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • mojomom
    4 years ago

Attorney, business litigation primarily and partner in large law firm, now semi-retired.

Business degree undergrad (banking and finance major), married, had DD, worked for a year in the trust department of a bank, then started law school when DD was 18 months old. Loved law school and did well. In order to avoid the real world a bit longer after I got my JD and passed the bar, I continued my education with an LLM before beginning practice 35 years ago. I’ve been with my current firm for the last 29 years after starting at a smaller firm closer to my hometown.

glenda_al thanked mojomom
  • Lars
    4 years ago

I worked on the farm and at my father's feed store as a child - I hated the farm and the farm work. In college I worked part time at the Rice University bookstore, and then I moved to Austin and worked at the UT Main Library cataloguing a Slavic literature collection that had been donated. I got that job because I knew enough Russian to read title pages. That lasted six months, and then I moved to San Francisco, where I started designing and making clothes because I hated 70s fashion. I also did upholstery jobs, including wall upholstery (just as a sewer) and worked as a fashion model for a couple of photographers I had met.

Then I moved back to Austin to get an interior design degree, and after that I moved to Los Angeles where I got a job in a custom furniture company, and eventually my furniture designs started to get produced, even though I was not hired as a designer. The owner of the company did all of the rest of the designs, and I was the only person whose designed she produced besides her own.

Now I am retired and will be working on getting our new house in Cathedral City ready for AirBnB or VRBO to supplement my income. I'm in CC right now (off season), but I do enjoy the pool after 5pm and at night.

ETA: I also worked part time as a baker for a restaurant in San Francisco, but I only did that for about a year, as it was graveyard shift (11pm to 7am) two days a week, and that upset my normal schedule of getting up at noon and working until about 8 or 9 pm.

glenda_al thanked Lars
  • Bevthebrit
    4 years ago

Originally from England, I finished school at 16 and worked in a department store for a year.

Spent next 10 years with British Telecomm International, similar to AT&T, as a telephone operator connecting overseas calls. Good old fashioned, plug in switchboard, before digital and automation. Late 70s to late 80s. Became a supervisor and trainer for new hires, who had to do a 3 month course. Loved this job, was so interesting dealing with people all over the world. We connected to ships, military, sheep farms!! Hamlets in the middle of nowhere. Left to take a management position with a retail company doing telephone sales.

A year later was offered a job at Disneyworld in Orlando. Great job, lousy pay. Made great friends. Was only there a year. Spent the next 3 years as a nanny/housekeeper then started my own housekeeping/cleaning business. Still going after 25 years albeit part time. Been thinking of getting my real estate license. Married 15 years, hubby took early retirement last year.

glenda_al thanked Bevthebrit
  • pudgeder
    4 years ago

After I had almost 2 years of college, under my belt, my father was diagnosed with Multiple Myleoma. Back in the 80's there was no hope with this type of cancer. I left school, the stress of trying to deal with his disease and school was overwhelming.

I went to work for the Gov't at the AFB. (Worst job environment ever for a young and naive woman.) I was a records clerk. Spent almost 3 years there. My father passed away about 2 weeks before my husband & I married. About 4 months after, I left the AFB job and went to work at a hotel reservations center. Back before the internet you had to call in your hotel reservations to an 800 # and I was right there to make your accommodations, plan your stays in either Disneyland or Disney World areas. Did that for a few years.

Left there and went to work in the public schools in the library of a Junior High. I was the AV specialist. Thoroughly enjoyed the educational setting. Was just about to go back to college and finish my degree, when I became pregnant with #1. Continued to work for the school system for about another year, when I quit to stay home w/our child. About 4 years later, we were blessed with #2 child. She was 3 when we moved to the Tulsa area.

I was a stay at home mom until the youngest was about 10. Then I went to work part time at a local University in the admissions area. When we moved back to our home town area. I took a job as an admin. assistant with an attorney. His primary work was estate planning. I'd probably still be there if his wife hadn't gone to work in the office. She was one crazy woman.

I left there and went to work at another local University. I worked in the library, again, for 12 years. Most recently, I moved to another department as an administrative assistant for 3 departments. It's quite a challenge that keeps me busy. I love the people I work with. They're supportive, respectful, caring and dedicated.

This will probably be my "last" job before I retire. But that's not for several more years.

glenda_al thanked pudgeder
  • ghoghunter
    4 years ago

I graduated Duquesne U with a degree in Nursing and worked at various Nursing jobs till I retired in 2011. I did Med-Surg, Nursing Homes, Got my Masters and taught in Nursing School and did School Nursing. It was a great career and kept me secure through a divorce and being a single Mom till I remarried. I am loving my retirement and being able to do all the things I love and couldn't do while I worked. I sing in a Womens chorus, belong to a Genealogical Society and a Garden Club. I love retirement!

glenda_al thanked ghoghunter
  • hounds_x_two
    4 years ago

BS in Speech-Language Pathology, MS in Audiology. After several years, I decided to “hang up my earphones” and return to school for a career change. Have certifications in education of Students with Visual Impairments, and am also an Orientation and Mobility Specialist. Retired now, and have let all of my certifications lapse. Grand parenting is a very rewarding new career!

glenda_al thanked hounds_x_two
  • Architectrunnerguy
    4 years ago

I'm a professional runner. I only had to take on this architect gig back in the '80's to temporarily have a means to pay a few bills. Purely temporary mind you.

And I think my ship is finally coming in. Last weekend, in a 5K race, I got 2nd in my age group and won a coupon for $5 of gas at the local gas station. Yes, I think I've turned the corner, the money will really be rolling in now. The long wait is finally over. Yep, I can feel it! Won't be long now!

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

I've done a few jobs, factory, chicken barn, office work, financial product sales, and now I'm working from home doing market research. There are days where I don't even want to see a human, so working from home I like. I also get complimented regularly by the people I call, how good I am, friendly, and they enjoyed talking with me.

I don't like the heat at all, and our summers are longer stretches of very hot weather.

I can only say I'm glad I'm not doing this anymore!

glenda_al thanked Jasdip
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

Hounds, interesting! I actually was accepted into an O and M program in NYC but choice the MSW route instead.

Would love to time travel and see where that choice would have brought me.

glenda_al thanked eld6161
  • peaceofmind
    4 years ago

I never had a job until after I was married. I worked for Frisco railroad (SLSF) for six years until I had children. It was a great job for a great company. It was important to me to raise my kids myself so I didn't work for several years. I did lots of volunteer work through my church and my kids school. I really enjoyed PTA and planning Fun Nights and talent shows, etc. This really sounds archaic but my kids elementary school didn't have a library until the PTA stepped in and was giving a small room which was formerly the janitor's closet. We bought the books and staffed it without much supervision. After a few years, we were able to move into an empty classroom and a district wide librarian chose the books and came by periodically to check things out. I was in charge of scheduling volunteers and when one of them called me and said she'd got a job working for the public library I was amazed. I thought everyone who worked in a library was college educated and she and I both were high school graduates. At that time, college wasn't required for many library jobs and it didn't take me long to apply and get a job shelving books. I had loved libraries all my life and thought I was really something to be working in one. I moved on up to work in circulation and then in the reference department. I took many college classes but never did graduate. It was a requirement in our local college that one pass algebra. I have never understood math beyond the basic stuff. I took classes and had tutors and just never was able to master adding letters, etc. I suppose if I'd been more ambitious I'd have found a way. I have suffered with depression since shortly after my first child was born. I was fortunate that I never had to support myself. With medication I've been able to function but can't handle much stress.

I'm retired now but I was so fortunate to work in a field that I loved so much. The people, the books, all of it really.

I've really enjoyed reading your stories and I marvel at how often life is just a series of happenstances. We plan our lives but then stuff happens and we adjust.

glenda_al thanked peaceofmind
  • glenda_al
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful responses. What a great group we have at the KT.

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

it was great to hear wasn’t it!

• secsteve
    4 years ago

First job was at age 13 as a caddy at the local golf course. Back then the pay was $1.50 for 18 holes plus tips which usually weren't all that great. But it was spending money. Best memory of that job is when I got a golfer who was known for abusing caddies. There was one name I wouldn't (and still won't) tolerate and that was being called an SOB. On the third hole, he bungled his putt, turned to me and said "You stupid little SOB, look what you made me do." I asked him to repeat what he said and he did. So I took his golf bag, turned it upside down dumping out all his clubs and walked off. I reported back to the caddy master to let him know he'd have to fire me and told him what I did. Just as I finished up Mr. M came running up and I informed him that I had all ready told the caddy master what I had done and was leaving. His response? "Like Hell you are. I want you for my caddy from here out." Don't know who was more surprised me or the caddy master. I continued caddying for him until I turned 16 and got a part time job. He was really sorry to see me go. Later one of the other caddies informed me that Mr. M. was impressed by the fact that I stood up to him as none of the other caddies had ever done that. In addition, he paid me more then the $1.50 and usually tipped that much and more.

After graduation (1966) I joined the Navy and served until they had a reduction-in-force and got out. Got a job at a local trucking company working nights, but one problem was the fact that when layoffs came I was the first one who got bumped. Tried to get back in the Navy, but they were going to drop me two pay grades back to an E-3. Air Force friend talked to his recruiter and went and saw him and enlisted in the AF. Spent 16 years with them and retired as a Master Sergeant in the Administrative field. While on active duty earned my Bachelors degree as well as getting trained in the new "technology" computers. Helped me out when I retired. Had interesting assignments in England, Germany, CA, AZ, WY, DC, Thailand, and finished up in OH where I retired.

Held a number of admin positions with various government contracts until I had to go on disability.

We discussed our email names some time ago and mine (secsteve52, the 52 was added after I switched to gmail, otherwise was Secsteve) came when I first used AOL. Had a boss who thought it was funny to call me his "secretary". So I used the sec part and tacked on my name.

glenda_al thanked secsteve
  • Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

I enjoyed reading all these posts

glenda_al thanked Cherryfizz
  • PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

“I'm a professional runner. I only had to take on this architect gig back in the '80's to temporarily have a means to pay a few bills. Purely temporary mind you.”

LOL, same story here except for the exercising part ;-)

glenda_al thanked myricarchitect
  • liz
    4 years ago

this has been an interesting read! I started working at 13 for a piano restoring company...first I started by cleaning their house, then moved to the shop where I helped refinish old pianos, inside and out...it was a job I still use today (the furniture restoring part)...i also babysat a family of 5 kids...then I worked for a credit company filing reports and typing up credit reports, worked as a server at Lucky Steer steakhouse...then banking for 5 years...for the last 42 I've been a Flight Attendant for a major airline based in Atlanta, Ga...I LOVE MY JOB and wont even think about retiring till I get my 50 year pin in 2027!

glenda_al thanked liz
  • nannygoat18
    4 years ago

Starting at age 17, I worked my way up at Social Security Administration, from Clerk Typist to Quality Assurance Chief. After thirty-plus years of adjudicating disability claims, I retired and decided to become an advocate for clients instead of the government.

I'm enrolled in a Masters of Psychology program to became an Addiction/Trauma therapist. For the past two years, I have been doing an unpaid internship and the rewards far outweigh those of my former high-paying career.

glenda_al thanked nannygoat18
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

liz, my sister is a flight attendant who's planning to hang in there until she's 65, but you have her beat for years of service!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

Spam alert!

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That spam didn't last long - in fact I never saw it - but at least it revived an interesting thread, and I am grateful to it for that.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

Nursing career with lots of odd jobs in between. Anyway from retail, hospitality, babysitting, Tupperware sales and waitressing. Just gave up my nursing license last year. I did only nursing for over 30 years.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

My organization is still at the forefront. We pioneered monoclonal antibodies for COVID, and more. Regardless of what edge it is, we're the leaders.

• nekotish
    2 years ago

Thanks to you Rob33 and all the other people involved in healthcare at this difficult time!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

I'm just a paper-pusher that keeps the research going. Not healthcare. But thanks! It's takes a village, and I appreciate my village. I'd do anything for them!!!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 years ago

Retired Chemist

• Uptown Gal
    2 years ago

Work for the Government...some enjoyable, some not so much. Straight from College to

a Government job ...and, so on and so on.

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

Registered X-ray Technologist (RT). Scrub tech for a plastic surgeon. Master Gardener and Editor of a state gardening news letter. Editor of a national newsletter on child safety. Decorator. Looongtime school volunteer!

• samkarenorkaren
    2 years ago

Administrative Assistant...

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

Librarian - the best job ever. I loved helping people and found it interesting and varied. I enjoyed the search aspect best - digging through the collection to find the answer or piece of information that someone needed. My first position was in the Music department at my University. After we married and moved to Philly I worked for the Free Library in one of the research departments. One of my favorite duties was working on what we called 'Unanswered Reference Questions.' We kept a file of queries that we either couldn't solve or lacked the reference material that might provide the answer. After a few years in the main library I moved to a large Regional branch and then became head of my own branch.

When I had kids I stopped working but when they were young I volunteered in their school libraries and later worked as a medical librarian for a hospital.

Maire

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

Sushipup I do not see Alice Garden. Do you still see them?

The most recent and longest job I had has been as a self-employed cleaner/organizer / gardener/ dog walker / trainer.

I am still doing the dog walking/trainer portion so I'm enjoying my semi retirement as much as possible in these troubling times.

• sushipup2
    2 years ago

Spam was removed.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Thanks to spammer who brought up this old thread I missed.

Wow, great and varied careers, so very interesting! Thanks to all who have shared.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider