Anyone use mop sheets like swiffer or clorox

always1stepbehind

We have two small tile areas here at work, bathroom and small lobby area. I was thinking maybe those disposable mop sheets would work instead of a regular mop. I started cleaning our office for extra money years ago when our maintence guy moved away. We have a kitchen area in our office and we've or I've always used that sink to dump the mop water, rinse and wring mop...but recently thought if this was my home, would I be dumping my mop water in my kitchen sink?? Especially after mopping the bathroom...UMMM NO!! The bathroom sink is a standard stink so it's too small to use for mop rinsing etc. Even though I clean the out little kithcen area last, that is kinda gross.

So any thoughts or reviews on the disposable mop sheets??

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

You can empty a mop bucket into a toilet, just don't pour too fast.

Sorry for this comment, but this is the place that hasn't given you a raise in years and years and so you double as the janitorial crew to supplement your income? What a complicated situation.

1 Like Save    
maddielee

The swifter wet sheets that I use are fine for a quick touch up cleaning. They really don’t take the place of a thorough mopping.

2 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I used to use the swifter wet sheets years ago, but noticed that they left a film on my vinyl tile in the bathroom. I have thought about giving the new Wet Jet another go, but not sure if I want to spend the money on something I'll not use after awhile.

Save    
maifleur01

I agree with Elmer about using the toilet as that is what I do then give the toilet a good clean. I tried the sheets several years ago and perhaps they have improved but I used too many. I do have a spray mop that uses washable pads that I like better but you do need to have several pads. I use the first for a quick dampening and wash. Depending on how dirty the floor is will depend if I use more. You do have to rinse between wipes if you are doing a larger area.

Save    
graywings123

Could you get the management to invest in a steam mop?

1 Like Save    
amylou321

I use the swifter wet jet. I have 3 bathrooms. 2 with tile and one with vinyl floors(I think) I use them and like them. I also use it on my kitchen and the small areas of tile in front of my doors. I just don't think a regular mop gets a floor clean. You're just dunking the mop in dirty water and spreading it around. My master bath floor is mostly white and it works great. Not to mention is it faster and less hassle than a regular mop.

I do think the wet jet is better than the swifter wet mop, but I can't explain why. They are probably comparable as far as performance.

When I did mop with a regular mop, I would dump the water outside. Same with the tank on my rug doctor.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I recently bought this one by Rubbermaid. It has washable microfiber pads. You can use your own cleaner in the bottle. I use water and cleaning strength vinegar in it. I got extremely lucky. I got it at Lowes, they had them on clearance. I paid under $3 for it! I ordered more pads from Amazon. I have been happy with it. It is for use in the bathroom on the tile floor. I like to use it daily in the bathrooms. My cleaning ladies come every other week. They have their own tools but they really liked it.

https://express.google.com/product/Rubbermaid-Reveal-Mop-Spray-Microfiber/0_10415623261416836766_0

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

I have some bar mops and various rags that I wet, sometimes spritz with 409 or the like, and put that on the Swiffer instead of their cloths. They do a great job, and since I have a bunch of them I put them all in a hamper and wash them in hot with oxy when I run out. No slime left behind (also my complaint with the Swiffer cloths)

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

I agree, just dump the water down the toilet. If you pour it quickly, the water will all flush out. Not a big deal, just flush and the water will fill back up.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

I also have a mop with washable microfiber pads that stick with Velcro. I did buy a Swiffer because it was lighter and easier to use, but I ended up not using it much because the microfiber does a better job.

Save    
always1stepbehind

HUH!!! I was wondering what happened to this post. I thought it disappeared or got pulled when I first posted it.. I've since picked up Swiffer mop pads to try. There are ok, was wondering about a film too but I haven't noticed anything.

Elmer: as for your comment, no I don't double as a janitorial crew. yes, I mentioned I had started cleaning our office years ago for extra when our maintenance guys daughter stopped doing it but I'm not sure that makes me a janitor. In a previous thread I had asked about pay raises and if it was standard to get increases every year but I never said that I hadn't gotten a pay raise in years.

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

I do as suggested above. I clean at an office and we flush the dirty water and then we use small buckets of clean water and rinse the mop bucket out and flush that. We use environmentally friendly soap. Then we take the mop head off take it home wash it and put on a clean mop head. We have about four of them so in case we forgot to bring it. There are no utility sinks at the office we are working at. We try to minimize the environmental impact by not using disposable cloths. We also wipe out our buckets to get rid of any residue.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
always1stepbehind

I would have never even thought to pour the dirty water in the toilet. I guess partly is that I clean the bathroom first, the two floors areas second to last...and last the kitchenette sink and counters after I emptied the mop water. If I end up switching back go a regular mop, I'll definitely dump the dirty water down the toilet. Thanks.

Save    
desertsteph

washable microfiber pads that stick with Velcro.

I bought 2 of those for my Swiffer. I also use the dry pads with it sometimes for a quick clean up. I spray some cleaner on the floor and then use the Swiffer on it.

I bought some of the wet ones but the smell of them bothered me, even when I wasn't using one of them. so I went back to the dry and I just spray some cleaner on the floor - with a scent I can tolerate.

when I have mop water (or other cleaning water) I dump it in the toilet.

Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
Debby

I try not to use any more "throw away" products than I really have to. We are destroying our planet with things that don't degrade, yet manufacturers keep making these things for a buck. I don't have carpet on my main floor. I use a rag to clean my floors. I do have a mop that's similar to a swiffer, but the pad is washable. I keep forgetting I have it because I've washed my floors on my hands and knees since I left home at 17.

1 Like Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
Jasdip

I'm really against using disposable, one-use items.

When hubby and I were cleaning the Legion, we used a washable pad that attached with velcro. Rubbermaid, Velita, and other companies make them. They're nice and wide to wash a larger surface. You can buy a separate pad so that there's always a clean one available.

Yes, you can flush the water down the toilet.

Annie Deighnaugh

Actually science tells us that if aliens landed and didn't know what what was for, they'd assume we bathroom in the kitchen and prepare food in the bathroom given the levels of germs...your standard kitchen sink is far more germ-filled than the bathroom.

https://www.webmd.com/women/features/places-germs-hide#1

vicsgirl

A few years ago,on vacation and staying at a motel, I saw the maid using a Swiffer mop with agular terry cloth wash cloth safety-pinned over the mop head area. Great idea, you can un-pin and wash it in a machine.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I got a pack of microfiber clothes on sale at Menards and use them on a Swiffer mop to clean my floors - with whatever cleaning solution is appropriate for the particular floor -- works just fine. Then they get washed either when I have enough other yuckies (like dust cloths and so forth) to make a small load, or outside in a bucket.

Save     Thanked by always1stepbehind
patriciae_gw

I have used regular wash cloths for years. I buy big packs of them from Costco, use them in the kitchen and elsewhere. My Swiffer like mop has rubbery pincher areas that will hold a cloth. they sold them but the wash cloths are cheaper. Pins or clips would work on other kinds.

arkansas girl

I have been using a regular old sponge mop with a wet microfiber cloth over the dry sponge, clipped together with a folder/paper clip to hold it on. The microfiber cloth makes cleaning the kitchen vinyl floor a snap!

a clip like this is used

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I love and use my steam mop on all tile and vinyl flooring. I do not use it on wood floors but supposedly you can. The mop heads get run through the washer after each use.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I've been using a Libman ( I think that's what it's called) mop. Old school cotton mop head but it has a wringer so you dont have to use your hands. It just hit me, that I never thought to use any other type of mop because that cotton mop head type is the type my mom used growing up, except she'd use her hands to wring.

Save    
yeonassky

I use cotton cloths instead of Swiffer cloths.

I don't like microfiber as it doesn't clean in the washing machine as well as cotton does I'm also a little concerned when I wash it that too much gets into our ecosystem.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

What a great idea to use regular wash cloths on the Swiffer mop stick. I wanted to do a quick wipe of my kitchen floor but didn't have the wet mop Swiffer cloth. I had the dry ones for dusting so I took one of those and sprayed with a wet cleaner and it worked great!! Maybe not for deep cleaning but good enough for a quick once over.

Thanks for the great idea of using the regular wash cloth that can be run through the washer and used over again.

Save    
patriciae_gw

Costco's are very thick terry. I started out using old baby diapers a friend gave me-the kind with the thick center? When they wore out I tried the terry washcloths I had for kitchen use.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Mudrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story
Decorating Guides The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
Laundry Rooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story