SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Do you swiffer? And info for Oceanna . . .

tinam61
13 years ago

How many of you guys use a swiffer? I know I see it mentioned on here now and again. A recent post about cleaning floors made me think of this.

I used to have a swiffer and used the dry cloths, etc. We are big on recycling and being as "green" as we can so I don't like using the throw away cloths. And while the wet pads smell nice, again, something to throw away and keep buying.

I have a large mop that looks like a swiffer and it has a terry cloth cover that you can wash. I use it like a dust mop. I'm not really using a mop of this type to get stuff up, more to *dust* my wood floors.

Oceanna, I wanted to mention that mop to you since I think you were the one on the other thread who was pushing a microfiber cloth around with a mop. You could probably use a microfiber cloth on one of these mops and just tuck the ends in (kind of like swiffer cloths), or you might check and see if they have microfiber covers for these mops. Mine came from Lowes or Home Depot and has a larger head than a swiffer.

tina

Comments (39)

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I Swiffer three ways...
    I, too, use a microfiber cloth on the thing, unless somebody is suddenly stopping by in five minutes, and I need to race down the dusty hallway and the kitchen...then I use the throw-away thing.

I have a little Swiffer rechargeable stick vacuum, which can take a cloth on floors (not so much on rugs), has a tank you empty and a filter you wash, and is the best thing ever for cleaning up kicked-out cat litter.

And I use the hand dusters, both long and short, but I don't throw the fluffy thing away until I've done everything...sometimes over the course of a couple of days. For a more thorough job, I use two microfiber cloths...one damp and one dry, and rarely any cleaning solutions, unless there's something oily involved.

It's interesting, isn't it, this new model of marketing...invent a really good cleaning device and sell it cheap, but then make you buy a zillion branded refills to keep using it. Same idea for ink-jet printers.

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

I use the Swiffer mop with wet refill cloths. When I'm doing a BIG clean, I'll wash the floor on my hands and knees and use some kind of Lysol floor cleaner or whatever. Between big cleans I use the wet swiffers to keep things ship shape. I've never used the dry swiffers, I'd rather vacuum the floor and get the dust and stuff up for good instead of just pushing it around.

We used to have a 1990's sheet vinyl floor in our kitchen and recently replaced it with vinyl planks. We're out in the sticks and need a very durable and easily-cleaned floor. Anyway, when we had the older sheet vinyl I was a huge fan of good old-fashioned Mop-N-Glo -- it was incredible and left the old, kind of scruffy floor looking like a million bucks.

• Related Discussions

Just bought a Swiffer VAC

Q

Comments (20)
    Went to "site" and yes they have been recalled and no indications as to when they will be available again. Dadgumit!! I'm in the process of having hardwood floors refinished and this would be the perfect tool for taking care of them. Well, maybe Swiffer will get their act together and take care of the problem & get them back on the market! Here's hoping!!!
    ...See More

How do you clean your marble floors?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Marcia, I have 12x12 honed calacatta marble on my bathroom floor. I'm using 409 Stone cleaner diluted with water to clean them. I also use the 409 on the vanity and tub deck so it makes it easier to have one cleaner. I'm too lazy and cheap to order anything more expensive and the 409 is available at my local grocery store. I have used diluted Oxy Clean to clean my shower floor which is also marble but it's a mosaic and has a lot of grout. I'm really careful with getting drops of Soft Scrub on the marble while I'm scrubbing the sinks but I think I'm going to just use the Oxy Clean mix on those too from now on. Neither product promises world peace but Pledge Multi Surface can clean stainless, glass and is MARBLE safe! I just picked some up and am going to try it out on an old remnant before I start spraying my bathroom mirrors and windows with reckless abandon! Update: Pledge Multi Surface is marble safe (I tested it on an unsealed, honed tile), cleans glass AND stainless. So, that brings my favorite, easy to get and marble safe products to a total of 3: 1. 409 Stone Cleaner spray 2. Oxy Clean 3. Pledge Multi Surface spray Did you save a few tiles to run tests on?
    ...See More

Tall Wainscoting... Pictures, Opinions, and Info please???

Q

Comments (35)
    Creekylis and Linnea, thanks. My previous camera just wouldn't pop the lens out if the batt was too low. Live and learn, I'll try recharging the batt. This camera is new to me so I'm still trying to figure the beastie out. Parsonse, I'll join the others in telling you your room is very pretty, and the light fixture is just right. Your panelling job is gorgeous! It looks like it's always been there. I've looked at that style before (drawings) and wondered how it would look made up. Did you also beef up the moulding around your door?
    ...See More

Oceanna-source for bed on your gallery?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Oceanna, I'll give that a try. I know I've seen that ad somewhere before. I'll undoubtably be spending alot of time here in the forum in the future. We just bought a new house which we'll be moving into soon, and there is so much to do! Just thinking about where our furniture will go in the new house is daunting, not to mention that we need new draperies, carpet, etc. etc. I've always loved decorating, but am feeling a bit overwhelmed with having to figure-out the whole house at once--also struggling with whether I keep all my old pieces/color schemes just as they are, or take the opportunity to try some new looks. I've already got some great info here, and have only seen a small portion of what is on this site--what a great resource!
    ...See More
  • avesmor
    13 years ago

I use a hacked Swiffer WetJet. :)

I refill the Swiffer tank with reverse osmosis (filtered) water.

I use pads sewn from microfiber cloths to fit the Swiffer head, complete with velcro to hold them on the swiffer pad.

My floor finishers recommended plain, pure water for cleaning the hardwood, with a touch of Windex if needed. Not needed so far. I've found there are very few things (anywhere in the kitchen) that I can't take care of with water and microfiber paired with a bit of elbow grease! This gives me a much cheaper, more eco-friendly, and chemical-free way of keeping things spic & span.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I, too, use vinegar and a swiffer, but I buy cheap washcloths, usually 12 for $3 or $4 and wash them in the washer with a bit of bleach. Washcloths fit the swiffer perfectly. For my hardwood floors, I squirt the cloth lightly with vinegar & water and swiff away. In the bathroom I use plain vinegar on the tile floor.

I use those washcloths for all my cleaning, but I still prefer real swiffer cloths and Handi-Wipes. IMO, the real things really do work better - I just refuse to spend money on them just to fill up the landfills.

• larke
    13 years ago

Anything that intrinsically calls for disposal of the pads after every use is environmentally wrong. I'm so mad today anyhow because some big corp. (forget the name right now) has just come out with paper "hand towels", using the selling message "why use a regular towel over and over when you can just use these and throw them out after using?"!!!!!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, I swiffer! Have wood floors in every room of the house, including the powder room & kitchen. Only master BR is carpeted. Master Bath is tile.

I sweep the old-fashioned way, (with a broom) daily. Sweeping frequently is really key to keeping the wood & tile floors free of my hair, the cat's hair, & general debris that's tracked in. I also run the vacuum occasionally & more frequently use a hand-vac with a hose & crevice attatchment for whisking away stray litter & other debris. The crevice tool is also great for removing dust from baseboards & corners.

Swiffering I do only after a complete sweeping of whatever room I'm working in. The sweeping cleans, the swiffer cleans a little more, but also adds shine to the wood floors. I guess the cloth buffs them a little.

I throw my Swiffer cloths into my recycling bin along with paper towels & all paper products. I have micro-fiber cloths too, but mainly use those on furniture. When I have used the MF cloth on the floors I had to throw it away anyway. It was too hairy (gross) to wash it! Didn't want to clog my laundry machine!

It's a wonder my cat & I have any hair on our little heads. So much ends up on the floor!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I love the idea of a modified Swiffer WetJet with reusable cloths and mild natural cleaner. Thanks for sharing!

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I don't swiffer since I also can't stand all this disposable stuff ... aren't our land-fills filled enough?

But someone gave me the swiffer floor stick, and thanks to you all I now know how i can use it.

I use old t-shirts as rags for cleaning and dusting, and a mop to wash the floors.

I also vaccuum a lot since I have cats and dogs, thus lots of hair.

• decorateitonline.com
    13 years ago

I have a swiffer vacuum and love it. I was not big on the disposable cloths because of the negative eco-effect but I discovered that Method makes compostable Bamboo cloths (and they actually do decompose in the compost). Even thought it is not ideal I do feel better using Bamboo as it is a renewable resource.
    As for the swiffer, it is a great solution for a quick clean up in between vacumming! We have dark hardwood and a white dog that sheds so we've put our swiffer to good use.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's interesting about the compostable cloths. Have not heard of those.

I honestly don't think a swiffer picks of that good, more as someone else said, moves it around. I have a small stick vac that I use in place of sweeping. Use my regular vac weekly.

Thankfully, our dog is not a shedder, but I can relate to the hair on the floor - it's mine and hubby's! We both have thick hair - thank goodness - or I think we'd be bald. The stick vac lives in the bathroom closet - it gets used in there the most! LOL

tina

• megfitz
    13 years ago

I love the swiffer wet jet and sweeper! I use microfiber cloths from the Doolar Tree, cut them to size and use them instead of the disposable pads. I just throw them in the washer afterwards.
    I also don't buy the refillable cleaning solution. Instead I rigged it so it's easy to unscrew the cap. The I pour in some Murphys Oil and water.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I don't swiffer to pick up loose dirt. I only use the swiffer to "wash" the floors (e.g. things that won't suck up). We have a hardwood attachment for our Dyson that I use, and I have this big shaggy broom thing with microfiber "fingers" that does a good job of picking up any strays that the Dyson misses.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I only use the Swiffer wet pads on the tiled floors.

I haven't read the replies yet, but I highly recommend buying the Bona dust mop if you have wood floors. They're wide enough to get a lot of dust, they keep your floors "naturally" polished but not too much, and they're great for easy dust cleanup if company is coming over and you don't want to vacuum. I keep one hidden in my foyer just for that occassion.

I also use the Bona wet mop for the wood floors with their cleaner. I made sure to order two pads for each one. They go in the wash when dirty.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Clearly, I'm not cleaning enough....
    ;>P

• avesmor
    13 years ago

We just finished building/closed at the start of the month, and are still (forever) unpacking, so I have perpetually dusty wood floors and have been doing some floor cleaning overtime duty to try and (fail miserably) compensate. It's so embarassing when the Saturday morning sun shines in through my (uncovered) windows to my (unrugged) floors and highlights each and every (thousands and thousands) piece of dust in the air.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Meg, I read not long ago that Murphy's Oil Soap is really not good on furniture or floors. I wouldn't use it on wood floors though. It's good for cleaning furniture and wood cabinets. I still use Pledge on furniture even though we've been told for years not too. It never hurt my mother's furniture! lol

Stinky, do you use the wet Swiffer on your wood or are you talking about the dry Swiffer? Doesn't the wet Swiffer hurt the wood also?

About the disposable hand towels. I set them out in the guest bathroom and kitchen when company comes over because it's just gross thinking so many people are using the same hand towel in the bathroom. ick!

Here's a funny story. Not long

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just finished doing the vac around the house -- sheesh -- always pick up enough "stuff" to build another cat!! LOL! :)

Dust bunnies have morphed into Dust rhinos ....

And then use the Wet Swiffer (just the wet pads on the basic plain Swiffer mop)

I use the dry pads on the plain ol' Swiffer mop most days ....

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Oakley, when we have guests I set out a stack of pretty, mis-matched hand towels next to a wicker basket on the counter. I put a crumpled hand towel in the basket so people know what it's for. I've also seen it done with a basket on the floor.

Stinky, how did you learn that swiffer sheets are compostable? I've always heard they are not. It's good if they are, but I still won't buy 'em. Rags work just as well, though I have wondered if it doesn't take a lot of energy to wash and dry them a million times.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Am I the only one who rinses and resuses the dry swiffer cloths and swiffer duster thingies? I dont use the wet ones.
    As I use them, dump them in water with a bit of dish soap. give them a swish, rinse and squeeze and hang them up to dry in the basement.
    I have some real microfiber clothes and pads too but this is faster and I don't need to put them in the washer.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oakley, a couple of years ago I had that WetJet Swiffer & bought the cleaner they made specifically for wood. It smelled SO good. When people came over after I'd just used it they'd always remark on how good it smelled in my house! Unfortunately, I decided that it wasn't really cleaning my floors that well, & I gave the thing away.

Now, my real workhorse for floor cleaning is my broom! Seriously. A good broom used frequently goes a long way toward getting & keeping a wood floor clean. How archaic!

For wet cleaning of the wood floors I use Pledge Wood Floor Cleaner that I get at Home Depot. It says "Commercial Line" on the yellow spray bottle. Yes, I go around on my hands & knees spraying & wiping w/a sponge that I wash & re-use. I also use the Pledge Wood Cleaner in the blue squirt bottle that I buy at the grocery store. I still crawl around to mop that up too!

Using the dry swiffer cloths are just a nice extra touch.

Shermann...you devil. I *thought* the little critters could be recycled! I went to the Swiffer website...no info. So... I called the 1-800 #. The answer is...no! They can't be recycled, but they will degrade in a landfill.

What does that mean?

• megfitz
    13 years ago

Oakley, thanks for the info on the Murphy's oil- on to google now! And I agree about the hand towels, lol. I have paper guest towels in our powder room.

• pamelah
    13 years ago

You guys are making me feel guilty... Here's what I do: I ask guests to keep their shoes on and take off their glasses!

It's hard to keep up with the 24/7 shedding of a indoor black daushund! He and his non-shedding bishon brother enjoy 5 or 6 outings a day. Sand and hair are an enemy that I have found best controlled with a real vacuum (rolling canister type) with micro filter bags.

Swiffers dusters are useless with this much dirt demand and I resent/oppose disposables.

Re wet Swiffers, I prefer a light solution of Lavender scented Fabulosa applied with a O'Cedar Light and Thirsty cloth mop that is laundered after each use. The work surface is larger than a Swiffer and the cleaning power is great with no streaks.

• larke
    13 years ago

Just a reminder... environmentally friendly is not just about being able to recycle, but about not having to cut down more and more trees to make the products in the first place, so more paper towels (whatever they're called) is not a great idea.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I used to use the Swiffer wet pads all the time when we had laminate, although I did find them to leave some residue behind. Then we got hardwood and, like avesmor, the floor guy recommended using plain water, or water with a splash of vinegar. I tried using both wash clothes and microfibers on the Swiffer mop head, but found that they did not slide very well on my floors. I finally had to break down and buy one of the Bona mops. I have found the dry Swiffers to be totally useless, they just don't seem to pick up anything. I prefer to vacuum.

Totally Confused

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone here, I am in a great deal of muscle pain today. :)

At the end of this, there is a word of caution!

Yesterday I decided to mop the wood floor after this discussion, starting in the LR and working my way back to the DR.

I got out my Bona wet mop with the Bona cleaner and went to town. I began in the living room which is around 650 sq. When I finished that room while dripping in sweat, I noticed it was streaky. Then I realized I had the mop head on backwards and had to do the #$%@ thing over again!

Here's the word of caution. I decided to use a washcloth on my swiffer mop instead of the wet pads for the kitchen tile. I was generous with the water because my floor was pretty dirty. It cleaned pretty good....UNTIL...it dawned on me we have very hard water and it will leave water spots when it dries! lol.

So I got a big fluffy towel, got on my hands and knees and wiped up every drop of water on it.

I hurt. :)

Also, no matter what your water type is, the wood flooring people will tell you never to use plain water on it.

The Bona cleaner is so nice, it dries quickly. And a bottle last forever. You just sprinkle it on the floor and go over it with the mop.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I gave up on the Swiffer, but was using the MW cloths too. Am a hands and knees, on the floor cleaner and just can't seem to wash floors any other way.

A small wet/dry vac for all the animal hairs in corners and on baseboards. Yes a broom for the floors, then wash by hand. I certainly don't wash every week, maybe once a month with wipe ups inbetween.

Although I use Bona, am not sure what it really does in cleaning or why the recommendations. What is in it that makes it safe for wood and does it clean as we are expecting?

Be careful with vinegar on wood floors or any non painted wood. It can turn the wood colors if a finish is worn, ages the wood and soaks in. Tough call to refinish.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to disagree. Our floor installer recommended water to clean our wood floors. You can also check with you manufacturer. I think some others here who use water said they were doing so on recommendation of installers/manufacturers. You don't get the floor sopping wet - you are damp mopping. I use bona too but I don't know if that is to clean or more like a polish. I think occasionally you need to use something to clean off all that stuff too. My steam mop can also be used on FINISHED wood floors but I haven't tried it. Honestly, our wood floors don't get that dirty.

I prefer my mop to a bona mop - but they are similar. Mine has a bigger head.

Also none of our floors have a "shiney" finish (we did not want that).

I will have to check out that fabuloso - the smell sounds wonderful!

I don't use pledge or anything like that on my furniture. With a microfiber cloth - you don't need anything. I use an orange oil/beeswax stuff that you find at many antique stores for an occasional polish (conditions wood) and it is wonderful to clean wood cabinets. I wouldn't clean painted cabinets with a furniture polish.

Good idea about a basket of hand towels!

tina

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I love the Swiffer products. I use the dusters and the wet-mop floor (I have vinyl) versions.

On my Corain counters in the kitchen and bathroom and my glass table-tops I use those disposable pop-up GlassMates.

I do my best to avoid excessive waste products or overuse of water and I think it is important to use the correct cleaning products on the various surfaces we have in our homes.

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

Along the lines of a modified swiffer, I use this:

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Swiffer with Re-Usable Cloth

• natal
    13 years ago

Never owned a Swiffer. Like Stinky I use a broom everyday. When it's time to really clean the wood floors do it on my hands & knees with a bucket of water and a little white vinegar. I do a section at a time and dry as I go with an old dish towel.

Never heard of Bona, but if it's a polish that doesn't sound like a great idea either. How is it different from Murphy's? I know with the stainless steel polish I have to occasionally remove it all with a baking soda mix or Barkeeper's Friend.

Can't imagine using a steam mop on wood floors. That sounds like it's begging for trouble.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I use the big wide swiffer type mop that has 2 heads, one for dusting, one for mopping. I think the Bruce people make this mop, not sure, can't remember. Both mop heads are washable. To mop laminate I use Taaka Vodka w/water, a little squirt of dish soap, then spritz with a spray bottle and mop as I go. No, I don't drink the vodka and water, it goes on the floor. For the tile I use the same cleaning solution, but use a string mop for more heavy duty mopping. For those of you using vinegar on your tile floors, remember vinegar will strip any sealant that is on your grout because of the acid. Also, swiffer liquid will discolor and dull certain types of tile finishes.

I use the same Vodka/water and soap for the granite, ss appliances, glass, etc. along with a microfibre cloth. It works on almost everything. I do not use it on painted or stained wood surfaces as the alcohol could strip or dull the finish. I was using rubbing alcohol instead of pure alcohol and then learned the fumes from rubbing alcohol are dangerous to inhale. I prefer not to use any chemical cleaners in my house. Will use bleach rarely if needed, but that's about it for chemical cleaners.

I use Greased Lightning for cleaning litter boxes outside. Spray, let set, hose and they are spotless without having to touch the inside of the box.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Swiffer dust wand is my fav. Can quickly dust around stuff when you have friends in on short notice. Also, use the store brand dry on the swiffer pole to manage dog hair. I do have the MF cloth fitted mits for the pole (QVC- gift from DM - think she was sending me a hint?), but they always seem to be in the wash.

Great post. I need to order more MF fitteds!

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I used to use the Swiffer dry cloths and the wet cloths. But the poles for those are thin, and when I wanted to do a real "scrub" someplace, I didn't trust it.

The wet cloths were OK for the kitchen and entry way, but for the part of the house that has a wood floor, I use the Bona products.

Within a day or so ago, I saw an ad on TV for a Swiffer-like wet product--the squirt-out mop kind-- that has a refillable container that you can use any sort of floor-cleaning product you have in the house, and it comes with a microfiber pad that you can toss in the wash. I thought it was a product in the Pledge line, but I don't see it on their website. Maybe it's new and hasn't hit the website, or maybe it wasn't Pledge after all. Anybody else happen to see the ad?

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I saw the ad, too - it was a red thing, a known maker, looked more substantial than the Swiffer Wet-jet, and the name has gone out of my head. I wondered about it, too.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Tina, thanks for thinking of me. That was so sweet of you. I have a Clorox mop (similar to Swiffer) and I can attach a microfiber cloth to that and do if I have a lot of floors to do. But for a quick pick-me-up I just toss the damp microfiber cloth on the floor, set my sponge mop on top of it, and shove it around for a couple of minutes. Works great!

• clt3
    13 years ago

I think you mean the Rubbermaid one:

Here is a link that might be useful: new Rubbermaid Reveal

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I saw this one at Walmart this weekend and thought of this thread. :) Seems like a good combination of "fill it yourself," reusable, and hackable! They had disposable and washable pads. I still make my own from the mega packs of microfiber towels at Sam's Club.

O-Cedar ProMist

What stick vacs do you guys use on your hardwood? I have a cheapo from our vinyl floor days... it's basically a dust vac on a pole with a floor attachment that fits up into the dust vac mouth. I've been sheepish to try it on the hardwood.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I use the thing that Tina uses for just dusting the wood floors and under the beds. And when it's dirty I throw it in the wash.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Yes, clt3! That's it!

(And I need to keep better track of where I post on the Garden Web forums I visit--today I saw the ad again and posted over on the Kitchen Table instead! I'm getting old and feeble-minded!)