SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skmom

does a blue porch ceiling deter spiders

skmom
4 years ago

Hi all! Here’s a couple of photos of the front of my house. We have a real problem with spiders up on our porch ceiling. We have Terminex spray regularly, and that helps a ton, but it’s still a constant issue we seem to always be dealing with. (Except in the winter months) We have plans to eventually redo the ceiling on our porch, and our original thought was to paint the ceiling the same grey as our house trim. We are also going to get rid of the current light on the ceiling and make it into two recessed lights on the sides of the porch ceiling so they shine down and can be seen nicely through the middle of the double columns as that is employ space between them and not some dark painted line. (We will also put wood up on the ceiling to cover up the tacky boards that are currently there, they’re not pretty, even though it’s hard to tell from the photo) We don’t ever use the current porch light, but we do have a lot of outdoor lighting on at night, plus the massive window over our front door lets light shine out during the night... I’m not going to keep all lights off all night just to keep bugs away... so I’m looking for other ways to help reduce the bug populations on my porch. So... does a blue porch ceiling REALLY help? Does the houzz community think my home can even pull off a blue ceiling? I can see the ceiling from inside my home very easily, and blue would coordinate extremely well with my interior colors, but so would the grey. (I hate the way it looks now with the white and spider mess) These pictures were taken this morning after hubby spent a bunch of time this morning on his huge ladder cleaning that arch window with a razor blade... the spider poo bakes onto the window because it gets zero sun until the late afternoon. What do y’all think? Can I pull off the blue and would it actually help? Any other solutions/ideas?

Comments (4)