SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mostafa_ayman78

Help living room design

Mike
4 years ago

Hi i will be moving to a new unfurnished apartment soon which has a dark floor and i plan to keep it for now.

I would reaaally appreciate help with the following:

1. What furniture colors can match with this floor i.e. for the sofa? Also i like this industrial style would it be too dark if i have couple of items in this style?

2. What do you think would be the best design for placing the furniture?

3. What do think about the kitchen color? If not matching what color would work better and is it easy to paint it?

Here are some pictures with the furnishing of previous owners:

Thanks a lot!

Comments (79)

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby I don't think i'm handy enough to the DIY project i like this West Elm modular desk but as you said i will try to look into local sores here first but i was thinking if the wood color is different in this desk than the kitchen (which most probably will be something lighter) would it look bad?.

I created an idea book with all the pictures i have for the living room https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/124331680/list/living-room

will share here the measurements also one i'm able to do it.

Thank you!!

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@LB Interiors Thanks for all these great suggestions, unfortunately he kitchen island is not movable.

i created an idea book with all the living room pictures and a plan in https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/124331680/list/living-room

For the kitchen island console table suggestion i like it but the only empty direction would be toward the existing dinning table would that make the island look like a "T" letter instead of just a line "I"? and would it look good?

For the bookcases it is not built in and the previous owner is taking it away with them.

We were thinking the same having desk in the bookcase place something like

Mostafa's ideas · More Info

what do you think and would the wood color difference from kitchen island make a problem?

Thank you!!

• Related Discussions

Help w/ Living Room Design

Q

Comments (27)
    @celerygirl what other options would you consider? I am open to other ones. Loved your suggestions so far!
    ...See More

Help! Living room design!

Q

Comments (4)
    Agree with the wall comment! That is the plan for the future. To push back that wall about 8 feet and add a slider. But this is what we will have to figure out in the meantime - for another year or so. So I want to get it comfortable using for now.
    ...See More

Please help with living room design/layout!! (Update w/pics)

Q

Comments (17)
    I think the sofa is too big for the room and for the furniture.....return it and keep looking.....you could take one of the end tables with you when you shop to see if the scale works with the table.....you might consider something long and sleek and not so fat....... I found these pics for inspiration for sofa and white rooms......the rug is minimasslist in pattern, so you might consider going that design way. Lots of legs in the room but gives a lighter look for more furnishing in the room. long low leggy with a low leggy chaise end. doable Again smaller tables with slim lined sofa with long low leggy.....your room is not really roomy so you are on the right track for mcm. Also tried to find white paint.....which is your room color choice?
    ...See More

Help with living room design/furniture/window treatment

Q

Comments (9)
    The piano looks awkward overlapping the windows. 2 chairs would be much better in that location. Pianos must NOT be placed: Near a window. Windows can throw off heat, let cold air and warm air in, and are subject to changes in atmospheric conditions, temperature, and humidity from the outside, daily. These constant changes greatly cause your piano's tuning stability to suffer, and cause parts to swell or to shrink, which result in a poor mechanical condition and performance, whereas your piano's preservation suffers overall, at the very least.
    ...See More
  • Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Claire Larece yes i think a caramel chair would be nice :D

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste i added all the living room pictures in this idea book https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/124331680/list/living-room

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

If you go to my Ideabooks , you'll see one marked Mike. In it I have your photos and have started to add some ideas. I also did a sketch to show you what one of the desk would look like in your space. I think it compliments your kitchen wood just fine. If you feel otherwise, let us know and then we'll figure out a different direction. I also put a kilim rug in just to see how you like that "feel" of it.

Mike thanked tedbixby
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Mike, here is a photo to explain my previous post for a possible desk placement option.

"A desk work-space might work for you, if you place it behind a sofa where the back sofa cushions are not higher than 30". Might be able to serve as a console table for a sofa, and possibly face the TV also or at least facing the windows."

Hollywood Glamour · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Mike, here is a photo to explain my previous post of possible console table or a new build at your Island ..... you can build on a counter lower than the island for added seating, using dining chair height chairs, that can also be placed at a dining table for multiple guests or extra seating when needed.

" Regarding using the dining space for other than intended, the lighting above would need a dining table under it. You could opt for a smaller 4 chair table. Then you could use the space on it's left for possible desk area.

There might be enough room to extend the island with a lower eating counter (about 16" deep) with chairs that will also provide movable seating for guests and dinners.

* In lieu of adding a lower counter to the island for a desk and/or seating .... you could use an open console table - 29-30" height, with chairs, placed close to the island back."

Timeline by Aster Cucine · More Info

Mike thanked LB Interiors
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

Looking at the apartment photos, it appears that if you put a desk behind the sofa, add a desk chair and take into account that you need room to push the chair away from the desk I think you are probably going to loose your dining area unless you push the sofa more towards the TV. The average depth of a desk is 30" and that doesn't take into account the chair. And as far as attaching a counter to the front of the island, you would have to take into consideration not only the depth of the new counter but also depth of stool/chairs and at least 2 ft to push the chair out. And if there is enough aisle to walk between the sofa end and the island/counter end. Just something to think about if both or either of these ideas are something you would consider. There will be trade-offs and you are the only one that knows how you live and entertain and as you explore different options, you are the only one that knows what will work best for you.

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Love the Netherlands. We spent several months touring in our Motorhome a couple of years ago. We shipped it to Amsterdam. NL is the best place in Europe!

Think your desk set-up would be great.

Mike thanked ashtonchic
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

These desks avg. 18" deep and appear similar to a console.

Ashwood Compact Desk, Ashwood and Graphite · More Info

Montego Folding Desk With Pull-Out, Warm Brown · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Desk 19" deep

Coleen Desk, Black and Brass · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

To hold office supplies near the desk, You can use storage ottomans. Get a dual purpose with this Linen File Trunk that can serve as an end table also.

Devane Linen Trunk File Storage - Natural · More Info

5th Avenue Storage Ottoman, Ivory · More Info

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

LB- It appears that the floor tiles might be 24" x 24". Though in some photos they look like squares and others rectangles. It appears that there isn't much room behind the sofa to accommodate a desk console, chair (though he could flip a dining chair to use at the desk) and other things you are suggesting plus a dining table set as it appears that there isn't much wiggle room to move the sofa forward. But maybe you are seeing something different than me that would allow such an arrangement? Mike has included a floor plan in this thread and maybe you can do a layout with furniture measurements of what you are thinking so he knows how your suggestions would fit as I know the Pro's often will do such a layout for an OP.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

tedbixby, Thanks, but I am also not using the original homeowner's furniture. I think Mike's needs are personal and different. I think the sectional is too long on the ottoman open ended side, therefore, I think sofas or sofas and chairs in different sizes can be very workable and the entire seating arrangement can move closer to the TV.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi there happyleg. apologies Mike!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

tedbixby, also in addition, I posted that the desk behind a sofa could be used behind a sofa that faces the view. Maybe can work depending on a Plan with all measurements, needs and priorities desired.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

LB- what do you envision the bookcase area used as? Just wondering as Mike (as I ) have felt that would be a good place for a wall desk as he showed earlier as there is plenty of room.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

tedbixby, I also posted and addressed this above. I think the bookcases are from the previous owner. Yes, possible desk space. It depends what Mike needs in all the spaces. What are priorities and sizes for the way he needs the spaces to function. Many many questions are asked of a client before suggesting the many options for designing a room. It takes much more client information and time to narrow and discuss a client's, needs, function, vision and affordability.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

U could use a chair or two at bookcase for reading & small table & floor lamp. U could install some recess lights at bookcase. Navy chairs would look nice here. Love ur view! Don't cover unless need privacy & sun glare.

Mike thanked happyleg
  • Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby thanks a lot!! the idea book is very nice :D about the Kilim rug i like it but not sure how it would look with light color sofa.

I got the measurements from the owner, they are the following in cm:

• Floor tile is 60 x 60 (so almost 24" as you mentioned nice guess! )
    • Wall behind TV 238
    • Sofa is 280 x 210
    • The book case wall 310 full before the intercom 230

Do you think a bigger sofa is possible?

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@LB Interiors thanks for the great ideas and suggested products, i really like the kitchen open console one (like the one in the picture you added).

For the desk since there will be no bookcase when previous owners leave i think i will use that space for desk since it is bigger space there also i added dimensions i found in the last comment if you want to check

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

The kilim rug was just an example to see if you like that direction of style. We would have to shop for one that would fit your space and then figure out the color of the sofa. I will add a lighter color sofa in the sketch just to show you what it would look like so that you will know what direction you may want to go as far as dark or light with the rug.

Is the 280 ( 110") number for the sofa that faces the TV or for the side that faces the windows?

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby great thanks :D for the 280 should be the one facing the TV.

Also i was thinking which side better to be longer the one near the window or the other one as the picture now?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Oh yeah, Houzz issues going on right now based on your reply of encoding and I'm having difficulty posting sofas in your IB... ughhh..

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby seems so just edited my comment from laptop instead mobile and it worked fine

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Are you wanting a sectional? If it goes against the window side, would it be ok with you that it would block some of the view when you are seated on the sofa. Would it block the patio door? Also, based on the floor tiles it is probably going to push the sofa facing the tv more towards the kitchen so you will loose some aisle space going into the dining area.

If you go with it against the window you may be able to add a chair across from the window but it might sit more in the office area.

The sofa facing the TV is a very big size sofa on its own without the chaise side so you could stay with just a sofa and then add two chairs ( maybe swivels) as another option.

Just out of curiosity, would a sofa sleeper be something that you might like for company?

Just a side note. If there is any chance that you may move down the road sooner than later, if you are going to put some serious money into your furniture, I'd recommend considering a sofa with chairs as if you do find yourself moving, these pieces are more flexible to put in a new space than a sectional that may not fit as well as in your current space.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I just reread your question and I think I originally misunderstood your question. I guess you are asking what side of the sectional should be the longest side? I think the way the seller's sectional is laid out as far as size is the correct way and I wouldn't go any larger than what they have.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Got the sofa's in the sketch..

Mike thanked tedbixby
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Sofa longest side near the dining area as previous owner. If you need more seating than a sofa, 2 chairs, or 2 sofas or ? .... you might like to add backless movable upholstereed benches at the windows.

Mike thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Would you use the desk at bookcase area facing the windows? Pulled away from the wall, leaving space for a chair to get in and out of?

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tedbixby great thank you! i did check them. for the sofa it would be okay if it is a little bigger right like 300 cm instead of 280?

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ LB Interiors i like sectional sofa because then there is a space to lay down or something and watch TV and it might fit more people right?

I like the idead of backless movable upholstered benches at the windows i think tedbixby was suggesting it too.

I think for the desk it will be facing the wall not the windows or that at least what i think

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Unless you are over 9' tall and my conversion to 110" is correct I don't think you have to worry about laying on the sofa that faces the TV.

As far as sectionals holding more people. Not necessarily as it will depend on the cushion size and depends on the corner seat as often if you sit in that seat you are bumping knees with the person to your right or left and no one wants to sit there then. Also, people like to have their "own" space around them and usually people will gravitate towards a chair before going to a sofa. I think you need to do some shopping and see what you like. And when you are looking at sectionals and if you find one you like, ask other shoppers to sit down until you have filled all the seats and see how comfortable everyone is, if your concern is number of people it is going to seat. As I know you can do a 3 good size cushions sofa and probably can get 2 chairs in the space, too (where the short side sofa is).

Though the seller's sofas are quite large, I took one of the photos and tried to figure out how many people could sit in it comfortably. 2 for sure and maybe 3 if their knees wouldn't hit the other person and the 4th seat looks like there is no back to it so that wouldn't be something someone would want to sit in for a period of time. I did a sketch if that would maybe help visualize it better.

Have you found a sectional that is 300cm? If not, why not go look and if you do then we can discuss it further. If my conversion is correct that adds only an additional 8" to the 110" (280cm)? And that would be for the sofa facing the TV, right?

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey so i think i’m going to get this sofa ( it is 280 x 210 and fabric is microfiber which seems to be easy to maintain)

In addition to one chair or something. tedbixby thanks for the illustration in your idea book i think the color and style looks okay overall right?

I’m also considering changing the layout to the following
    The benefit i would have bigger wall space to put the tv and don’t have to be right in the corner like the previous owners, what do you think? And in this case the chaise or long side of sofa will be better to be in the kitchen island side right?

Thank you!

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Is overhead lighting a concern for you as this layout doesn't give you any over the dining table?

I'm still not sure what color that sofa is.

Closer view · More Info

Sofa 1 Option · More Info

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Since I didn't include the kitchen in the other sketches with the sofa, I have since added to the the Mike Ideabook that combo. You probably want to take a look at those and see what you think. The little grey shot in the sketch is the floor.

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey tedbixby, thank you for your reply.

For the color may be the first one more accurate it should be light gray.

Yea for the new layout my concern was the lighting but may be it can be fixed by some ground lighting.

But what are your thoughts overall colors? And layout?

Also i think adding rug should change things maybe.

Thank you!!

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

For the color may be the first one more accurate it should be light gray. Based on what I'm seeing on my monitor, it looks more taupe than gray. Based on #1 with the kitchen cabinet sketch, I didn't think the cabinets complimented this sofa color. I'm really concerned that you are going to have a tough time finding a rug & accessories to pull it all together if you go with this sofa. While at the store, did you try other colors with it to see what would work? As the yellow and printed pillows shown do nothing for it. I can't tell if the solid color pillow is black or brown. If it is brown, it works with the sofa but that dark brown isn't going to work well with the kitchen cabinets. And if it is black, isn't working either.

Yea for the new layout my concern was the lighting but may be it can be fixed by some ground lighting. Ground lighting isn't going to give you good lighting for lighting the table. IMO it looks odd. Below is a photo of a table with ground lighting. And if you go with ground lighting behind the dining chairs, it will be blocked by people sitting in the chairs.

But what are your thoughts overall colors? And layout? I'm not sure what you are asking as far as overall colors. As I mentioned before I would shop for the rug 1st or at the very least, shop for a rug with that sofa in mind and see if you can find a rug that works with it. As far as the layout, if you put the TV on the larger wall it looks like it may end up about in the same wall area as if you kept it over on the original wall? Are you talking a big difference? If so, then you have to decide what is more important to you, placement of TV or overhead dining table lighting.

Also i think adding rug should change things maybe. In what way do you think a rug would change what?

Don't hit your head!

dining table with floor lamps - Google Search · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi Mike. Your idea for switching placements of dining and living room is interesting. However, viewing a TV from 22 1/2 ft away seems too far.

Yes... The long side of sofa is most convenient opposite the TV. More functional.

As is Dining lighting can still work for you near the new sofa rearrangement. You will need lighting for new Dining placement.

I'm not feeling a benefit for switching the spaces.

Dark sofas would require a rug.

A light sofa will work without a rug.

You can choose a sofa color without considering matching the kitchen cabinet color.... as long as the cabinet color is sprinkled in other elements in the space, to bring it together.

I would start with sofa choice, rug can be found later.

Re: sofa color, choose what you like... you just need to repeat that color palette in your spaces to create a pleasant visual flow.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

If you prefer more open space in the center of your rooms, then I think switching the room spaces can work for you. Use the space in the manner that seems most comfortable for you.

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi tedbixby thank for your reply i started with the sofa because i think it will be harder to find.

For this sofa no i didn’t try other cushions colors.

For the ground light i agree i will try to see if there is another possibilities the benefit as i said of having the tv in the other wall is i can have the sitting area bigger than 280 cm and the tv in center instead of maybe more into one corner.

I saw also this sofa it seems interesting what do you think about it is color in the description they mention it is caramel color.

I will check it in the store this week

• Mike
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi LB Interiors thank you for you reply that make total sense i added another picture of another sofa in previous comment that i would check those two the ones i found so far.

For the living room i’m not planning to make the sofa all the way in the other direction but have the same distance as now facing the other wall to be able to have bigger length than 280 limited by the other wall and able to make the tv in center easily what do you think?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

How soon are you going to take possession of the apartment? Based on your very 1st photo that you posted, I'm not sure how you would get more than 280 length as you still need to take into consideration space between the sofa and kitchen island. If you put the latest sofa into your IB I'll do a sketch.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

I like the warm caramel sofa. Adds to the kitchen cabinetry.

I'm confused about your floorplan.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I played around more in the Mike's IB since I last posted. I'm liking this caramel colored sofa in the space. I added a black & white rug and thought that the seller's dining chairs go nice with everything and might be something to consider when looking for dining furniture. And if the drapes remain they will work. It becomes a neutral/monotone color palette but if you want to bring color in, you can do it with accessories and art work. No worries if you aren't "feeling" it as we can figure out something else, too.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Mike, are you saying that you want to move the TV to the right, as well as moving the sofa grouping to the right? with desk near windows and on the left of TV? And not using the original bookcase space for the desk area?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

LB- By the questions you are asking, I'm wondering if maybe you missed Mikes posting 2 days ago of the new layout he is thinking about.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Some inspiration

Boynton Beach Condo Before and After · More Info

Boynton Beach Condo Before and After · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    4 years ago

Hi tedbixby . I saw his possible new floor plan, but I am questioning what exactly it is, in my last post. I'm not fully understanding it.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following